PDA

View Full Version : Drifting

SLVR EVO
05-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Has anyone got this down with thier Evo yet? I've watched the Best Motoring International - Drift Bible but it doesn't really go over all wheel drive in there unless I completely missed it :( He uses a Nissan S13 and S14, a Toyota MR2 and Trueno (a.k.a. the Hachi-Roku from Initial D) and different techniques, lots of ebrake stuff, but I don't wanna do that unless thats the only way to get it sideways (his big tip is using the ebrake if you can't get it to slide any of the other ways.) Any tips? Anyone even try? Just kinda currious. I've always wanted to learn how to do this, thought I would ask around.

evo_dadi
05-13-2004, 09:03 PM
umm i think awd is the worst car to drift not unless you got your car set up right or gobs of power.i do a lot of canyon drivings and the most i slid was just a little powerslide from going down too hot.the other guys i drive(hachi and fc) goes sideways but they have to change tires before we even go for a drive.

EvolvedDSM
05-13-2004, 09:06 PM
Step 1) Pick up some junk tires... cheap!

SLVR EVO
05-13-2004, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I figured it would be the hardest in AWD, just was wondering if anyone knew of a nice way to do it anyways. Never hurts to ask :)

evo_dadi
05-13-2004, 09:14 PM
lol ok jamie,well my tires are junk now so i could slide a bit :)

hey slvr just dont use the ebrake to initiate a drift,baaaaaad idea.just find a nice empty area or lot then just toss the car around so you can get the feel of sliding.so just in case youre in the road you know what to do and not panic.

vtluu
05-13-2004, 09:26 PM
I hear it's even harder with FF cars. Just ask Stew! :lol:

I'm not a big fan of drifting (I mean come on, a motorsport with judging--kinda like figure skating?) but I do see it as a useful exercise in car control. I've gotten the car slideways plenty o' times at autocross--usually inadvertently--and I really would like to get better at precisely controlling oversteer: getting in and out of it at will and using it to my advantage. There are some turns in where oversteer is just what you'd like to get the car rotated faster than taking the grip line... and a (very) few occasions when what you want is a nice rally-style pendulum turn. Anybody know of any big empty parking lots that aren't patrolled (by security of police)?

559EVO
05-17-2004, 04:16 PM
I can drift a high speeds but it's pretty scary.I try not too.

warpspeed
05-17-2004, 04:44 PM
I used to drift back in the days before all this hype even started. I had a '76 Trans Am with a 455 motor and I didn't even had to use the e-brake. Here is one trick if you have a low hp rwd car. Put a little used motor oil on the rear tires. Dangerous but it works if you know what your doing. :wink:

evo_dadi
05-17-2004, 05:37 PM
I used to drift back in the days before all this hype even started. I had a '76 Trans Am with a 455 motor and I didn't even had to use the e-brake. Here is one trick if you have a low hp rwd car. Put a little used motor oil on the rear tires. Dangerous but it works if you know what your doing. :wink:

i like that idea and you do have to know what to do while driving.the oil will eventually burn off so the inital run would be really scary :skid:

SLVR EVO
05-17-2004, 07:40 PM
Dish soap works good for that too. FF cars can do the McDonald's trays on the rear and e-break and just slide around like its nothing... saw a vid about that a long time ago, pretty funny stuff. Nothing like a full sized truck with duelies on the rear and a BBQ in the bed doing donuts. You'll know the vid I'm talking about if you remember that part of it :lol:

05-17-2004, 11:37 PM
get on the brakes hard after turn-in... the rear will come around, but once you get back on the gas, the front wheels will pull the car straight, no need to counter steer much ... look at Shiv's drifting video (one lap), you will see that the front wheel does very little to no counter steer, also watch the bonus video at the end of the drift bible dvd, you will also see some evo and sti drifting... look at the front wheels. also, i don't think our center diff likes donuts very much.

vtluu
05-18-2004, 01:46 AM
Yeah, the e-brake should be used only for parking and emergencies, because otherwise you risk wearing/damaging the center diff.

The STi doesn't have this problem because it has an active (electronic) center diff that disengages the rear drive when the handbrake is pulled.

MarkSAE
05-31-2004, 04:44 PM
Anyone here have an upgraded rear sway bar? According to RRE's webpage, it makes the EVO pretty tail-happy.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evoswaybar.htm

chrisw
06-01-2004, 08:18 AM
When the EVO's suspension is all loaded up (full body roll), do a quick throttle lift (just blip the throttle). That causes the back end to kick out in the direction of the turn. that is, if turning left, the backend will kick out left.

By modulating the throttle and steering input you can maintain the drift. The key is to maintain the same level of "slip" (lack of grip) accross all 4 tires.

To drift like shiv's car you definately need alot of power and a front LSD at a minimum to keep all 4 spinning.

A good suspension helps too...

do not try this on the street, your a fvcking idiot if you do

MitsuMan
06-01-2004, 02:22 PM
just come into turn really hot and stab the brake hard after the weight tansfers rev and pop the clutch then counter steer a little make shure you give yourself alot of room though parking lots are good the farthest I gotten in my evo is about 40yards if you really want to slide do it in the recently rained black top.

webguy330i
08-02-2004, 04:46 PM
While technically not teh dorifto, it's still damn impressive!!

right-click, save as...

http://images.330i.net/media/Mitsu_Evo_rally_car.wmv

10-06-2004, 09:58 PM
nice

frKENm3
10-06-2004, 10:00 PM
nice

frKENm3
10-06-2004, 10:01 PM
cool

evo_dadi
10-06-2004, 10:09 PM
hey wassup man i see that youre here now also,im the guy with the white evo who switched tails with erwin.

DRFTR8
10-06-2004, 10:14 PM
^^ sup man... you wanna drift???

LEVIII
10-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Yeah, the e-brake should be used only for parking and emergencies, because otherwise you risk wearing/damaging the center diff.

The STi doesn't have this problem because it has an active (electronic) center diff that disengages the rear drive when the handbrake is pulled.

You really shouldnt use the e-brake for emergencies, its actually just a parking brake. It used to be called an emergency brake a long time ago (even though the name has stuck now, most manuals and dealers arent allowed to call it that) until people started using it in emergencies and all it got them was out of control and another, maybe worse emergency.

vtluu
10-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Well, you know, there's the kind of emergency when you have to get the car sideways and/or spinning. :lol:

I meant if the main brakes fail due to loss of hydraulics. Even then you have a point, it's probably better to use engine braking to roll to a stop--if possible.

jondukes
10-06-2004, 11:51 PM
the rs without abs makes it a bit esier to do
throttle lift really gets the ass outthen you could do a little left foot braking to transfer weight and power out burnin
be safe though this aint initial d!

roywhitep5
01-29-2005, 09:42 PM
http://www.mattandjosey.com/hosted/gigi_6.wmv :shock:

turbotiger
01-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Depending how much traction and understeer you have, you can late brake, lift throttle, and lastly you can use a feint motion. Feint will pretty much guarantee to start your drift.

Radman
06-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Drift the EVO using the weight transfer technique...slight adjustment to the chassis couldn't hurt. :)

AreSTG
10-07-2005, 09:25 AM
im a little confused, but maybe im not thinking of the same thing as yall.

but i "drift" at will on 90 degree turns, like middle of 2nd gear speed.

i just go at the turn in middle of 2nd, let off a little as i turn the wheel hard(kinda turn late for the turn) then gun it and my rear wheels spin till im going stright again, but its time to shift anyway.

But maybe thats not a drift but people in ym car w/ me think it is. Maybe you all are talking about doing this at high speeds in 4th gear :shrug:

zyounker
10-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Yeah, i've done it for fun.. I've always just used weight transfer.. Either throttle lift or taping the brake before or during a turn to lighten up the rear end.

nightwalker
11-05-2005, 12:04 AM
to get the EVO in a "true" drift (continue sliding sideways) not just tail out action, takes a lot of balls. Saw millen do it in his EVO 7 at a drift event a couple years back. It's really insane. The car was really sideways, almost 90 degrees.

I've heard from people who rally and can drift awd on pavement, it's more or less holding your breath, throttle hard, steer, and look out the side window.

I can drift rwd, but awd is a whole 'nother game. Maybe with more track time.

craziazzmofo66
02-14-2006, 12:37 AM
i found out with my current suspension set up that i can some what do it with ease when my tires r cold!! i even spun out once... :P

RgistRdShowoffIX
02-14-2006, 01:03 AM
lol now that the thread is revived....... repost. haha

http://www.amkpwa.com/Filmy/Last%20autocross2005/evo1.wmv

craziazzmofo66
02-14-2006, 02:20 AM
lol now that the thread is revived....... repost. haha

http://www.amkpwa.com/Filmy/Last%20autocross2005/evo1.wmv

:shock: that guy was on it pretty hard...

billynguyen
08-23-2006, 08:46 AM
u should watch toykyo drift haha

AreSTG
08-23-2006, 11:58 AM
i still want to see the rest of that vid after he jumps it :)

Tnastyevo8
05-03-2007, 11:52 PM
i cant imagin hurtin my baby by driftin

craziazzmofo66
05-05-2007, 10:41 PM
i wanna go take driver lessons from the guy........and still wonder if the jump was intentional...

Matz
05-07-2007, 06:04 AM
Yikes! Everyone needs to click http://imgred.com/http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/Themes/amdblack01/images/english/markread.gif now! :)

monchan8
05-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Lift off oversteer works well for me in the wet. Go around a corner faster than what you feel is safe, then take your foot off the gas, (life if you're in 2nd gear). -Noone said drifting on public roads is safe- The engine brake effect will break the back out easier than mashing the gas. Works every time. To correct the drift and get back in line however, with my car, I need to power out of the slide. Countersteer alone will not save my car from a spin! I think it helps too that my VIII has more weight in the back and less up front with the battery relocate, removal of passenger air bag, glovebox, Heater/AC fan unit, side crash beams. In the dry all I can do to get the back out is to do the scandanavian flick...but only at slower speeds in second..left hard, then right hard, lifting off to get it loose in the "right hard" faze, then giving it all the power you can in second by giving it revs and droping the clutch to sustain the drift.

Jay
09-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Drifting an Evo=Teh Gay.

craziazzmofo66
09-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Drifting an Evo=Teh Gay.

does that mean rallyin is ghey too??

IlovemyevoIX
09-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Drifting an Evo=Teh Gay.

drifting isnt ghey, but crashing is DOahhh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxvfLda4x5s

steevo8
09-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Ummmm actually imo crashing is about as ghey as it gets.

IlovemyevoIX
09-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Ummmm actually imo crashing is about as ghey as it gets.

yeah i ment before that...

craziazzmofo66
09-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Drifting an Evo=Teh Gay.

i hate that vid..........its scary.........

VINO EVO
09-12-2007, 02:15 AM
i love the vid untill the end, that looks worse than my nueve

panem
09-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Drifting an Evo=Teh Gay.

i hate that vid..........its scary.........

its was a girl driving that. crazy!!!!

byt
09-19-2007, 04:40 PM
looks like the wing didn't make it...

IlovemyevoIX
09-22-2007, 10:10 AM
lol yeah it was a girl.....sexyyyy!

typhoon 28
11-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I got some slides in @ an autocross & my typical mountain pass (touge) practice on my home course. Would'nt really call it drifting, but the teams somebody spoke of before most likely disconnected the front drivetrain (front axels w/ plugs or caps for holes in the tranny) to make it slide like RWD. Some companies may even have kits to fully convert it to RWD.
Those teams in japan (or any pro team) have BIG budgets & they can do stuff like that easily to reach their goal. I work my a$$ off to even pay off this car & do minor tunning stuff for fun & have no desire to do such a drivetrain mod to my 8.
I don't think you could even do it to the 9's because of the ACD. But yes - you could definately make more power & floor it into a high speed corner & make it 4-wheel steer like no bodys business.

For some reason - my budies subies seem to drift easier. - WTF?

IlovemyevoIX
11-28-2007, 09:32 AM
^ ive seen it done on the 8's but it would be smarter to do that and custom fab your engine to North South (FR) setup.

steevo8
11-28-2007, 09:47 AM
your friends suby does slide better, mostly to do with the way the drivetrain setup is and also the way its weighted. The best way I know how to put it is that evos are font wheel drive cars with rwd added after the fact, suby's are rwd with fwd added after the fact.

player67
11-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Hmmm thats an interesting way of puttin it. I was just gonna say evos grip better :lol:

steevo8
11-29-2007, 12:17 PM
evo's understeer better also :(

player67
11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
God I know ^ shoulda seen the look on my face first turn I took hard when I got my evo....:(???

steevo8
11-29-2007, 12:20 PM
with my rear sway on the softer setting my evo pushes harder then my cooper does. Its not always a bad thing though.

wzcx
11-29-2007, 01:28 PM
I did that just about the first time I went for a real drive in the Evo too- wow, push! I think the evo's transition from understeer to trailing-throttle oversteer is a bit abrupt too, I think they could have mitigated that with a stiffer rear sway from the factory.

dl_EVO
12-06-2007, 12:01 PM
over the weekend, I hit a long sweeper at a fast pace and I started to slide with the rear end kicked out a bit. Right after the apex is where I started to slide. Tires squealing and throttle control. I LOVED IT!

nightwalker
11-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Subbies are FWD cars with AWD and Evos are RWD layout with AWD added in. Subbies slide easier because the rear suspension doesn't camber in under load

MarkSAE
11-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Subbies are FWD cars with AWD and Evos are RWD layout with AWD added in. Subbies slide easier because the rear suspension doesn't camber in under load

I think you got it backwards. The evo powertrain layout is a transaxle up front, which is a FWD config. The Subies engine is mounted like a RWD config.

nightwalker
11-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Oops, I'm talking about the suspension.