PDA

View Full Version : new rims, now steering wheel shakes..

j_evo_j
08-19-2006, 03:51 PM
i dont want to make an essay out of this so here goes.

purchased new rims: 18x8 inches w/ 245 tires; mounted n balanced
car is lowered with tien s springs

problem:
steering wheel shakes when i hit over 70+mph but anything below, the steering is fine.

solution:
i decided to re-balance all 4 tires but the shaking is still there!!

what else could i do to eliminate this problem??

Kamikaze
08-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Did you take it to alignment after you lowered it?

j_evo_j
08-19-2006, 04:24 PM
nah a, im thinking about getting it done tho. i lowered my car when i was running with the stock 17's. do i have to get it aligned again with the 18's?

KareBearPowa
08-19-2006, 04:30 PM
shaking over 70mph is tires out of balance or a bad tire, take it to another place.

Kamikaze
08-19-2006, 04:32 PM
I have the same thing with my continental over 70mph but it's not that bad. I got it balanced twice but it never went away.

j_evo_j
08-19-2006, 04:35 PM
i already had the tires balanced today. what will happen if this problem persist? and what are the consiquences if it is not solved??

KareBearPowa
08-19-2006, 04:37 PM
What tires? You need to make sure it isn't a bad tire. I would go back to the place and have them do it again until its fixed. Are the wheels brand new? You sure they aren't bent?

j_evo_j
08-19-2006, 04:40 PM
What tires? You need to make sure it isn't a bad tire. I would go back to the place and have them do it again until its fixed. Are the wheels brand new? You sure they aren't bent?

rims and tires are brand new. tires are toyo proxes 4 or something. W - rated. re-balanced today. still shakes

j_evo_j
08-19-2006, 04:48 PM
I have the same thing with my continental over 70mph but it's not that bad. I got it balanced twice but it never went away.

has the shaking from the steering wheel of your continental gotten any worse??

Kamikaze
08-19-2006, 04:59 PM
No, it hasn't got any worse. Those continentals are Z rated I guess. However, it's all season with soft side wall. It used to bother me but I got used to it. I heard someone who has a same tire had a same problem.

Ask people with same tire. I think lots of people have those proxes.

V8KiLL3R
08-19-2006, 05:24 PM
buy a hub centric ring it might help i had the same problem when i changed my rims.

SpinOne05
08-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Does the steering wheel shake up/down or shimmy left/right? Rotate the fronts to the rear and see if it goes away. If it does you got a bad tire, or bent rim.

j_evo_j
08-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Does the steering wheel shake up/down or shimmy left/right? Rotate the fronts to the rear and see if it goes away. If it does you got a bad tire, or bent rim.

the steering wheel "shimmy's" left/right. i rotated the fronts to the rear also and that didnt help. rims are brand new. might be the tires..

AreSTG
08-20-2006, 01:43 PM
man, if the front's are now on the rear and it's identicle than i'm lost... needless to say i'd be pissed. I know it sounds dumb but try putting on your old wheels, even just on the front and see if it still does it. If it does than somethign other than your wheels/rims is the problem

wzcx
08-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Are your tires beat? The guys at Motorsport Techniques said that my worn-out fronts were making the car shimmy a little AFTER they did my alignment. I rotated them and now everything's perfect. OH, you did that already. Hmm.... Does it go away when your tires warm up?

chrisw
08-21-2006, 09:46 AM
i dont want to make an essay out of this so here goes.

purchased new rims: 18x8 inches w/ 245 tires; mounted n balanced
car is lowered with tien s springs

problem:
steering wheel shakes when i hit over 70+mph but anything below, the steering is fine.

solution:
i decided to re-balance all 4 tires but the shaking is still there!!

what else could i do to eliminate this problem??

check your alignment, did you get one done when you installed the springs?

other causes could be from an improperly torqued wheel.

turbotiger
08-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Might want to have them remount the tire on the rim. There's a dot on the tire that's supposed to go where the valve stem is. Sometimes even that doesn't work, and they need to mount the tire with the dot away from the valve stem. Of course rebalancing as well.

GokuSSJ4
08-21-2006, 10:54 AM
here are something that will cause that:
having a warp rotors
having a bent rim or rims
or not mounting a rim properly, which means that rim shakes back and forth

egui42
08-21-2006, 02:05 PM
1. First, check how much weight is on each rim.
2. If 1 rim has a crap load of weights on it, tell them to unmount and mount it again 180 degrees from the original position.
3. Warped Rotors
4. Bent rims
5. Alignment
6. Blown shocks, etc.

SpinOne05
08-21-2006, 07:30 PM
It shouldn't be tire balance, that wouldn't make the steering wheel shimmy left/right. Definitely a good check would be to put your stock wheels on and see if it goes away. If it doesn't then you can rule out the new wheels completely and stop balancing them. It might suck to change tires but it will get you pointed in the right direction. You are using the proper lug nuts for your new wheels and hub rings right?

GokuSSJ4
08-22-2006, 09:23 AM
It shouldn't be tire balance, that wouldn't make the steering wheel shimmy left/right. Definitely a good check would be to put your stock wheels on and see if it goes away. If it doesn't then you can rule out the new wheels completely and stop balancing them. It might suck to change tires but it will get you pointed in the right direction. You are using the proper lug nuts for your new wheels and hub rings right?
completly forgot to mention after market lug nuts for your after market wheels. Since the nut will not sit properly , which means: wheels being loose at one point or another.

TarmacAttack
08-23-2006, 03:23 AM
One other thing that will probably help is to get the wheel high speed balanced.

Explanation of high speed wheel balancing.
http://www.butlertire.com/services.asp

Explanation of wheel balancing.
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/intro.cfm

Damanc
08-23-2006, 03:32 AM
Did you get rings with the wheels to center them on the hubs? I didnt know our rims were hub centric (centered on the hub instead of the studs) untill I bought a set of weds from another NCE member. When we did the swap he made sure to give me the centering rings and explane what they were.

byt
08-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Did you get rings with the wheels to center them on the hubs? I didnt know our rims were hub centric (centered on the hub instead of the studs) untill I bought a set of weds from another NCE member. When we did the swap he made sure to give me the centering rings and explane what they were.

Centering rings are NOT required if the wheel is set properly on the lugs. If you ever track your car hard, those plastic rings turn into a nasty mess when the brakes heat things up. Get the wheels rebalanced.

Damanc
08-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Ok so are his wheels set properly on the lugs? I guess its a good thing my centering rings are aluminum isnt it.

GokuSSJ4
08-24-2006, 10:42 AM
any updates ?

j_evo_j
08-24-2006, 09:07 PM
i havent got any free time take care of my shaky steering wheel problem.. i believe its the alignment because i got my car lowered with my stock wheels and at that time i had it aligned. maybe this weekend ill probably get it done.. just gotta dump more bread on my car again.. damn..

j_evo_j
08-24-2006, 09:10 PM
but to everyone, i really appreciate all of the advice y'all have given me! thank you and i will update everyone as soon as i can!