PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cam Gear/help

EvoVIII
05-15-2004, 12:01 AM
well, Installed a set of Vishnu Cam Gear few days ago, but havn't tune it yet, but I was driving around today the car seems to be fine but until I went home and pop the hood with my engine running, I heard some weird noise and sounds like the timing belt is having contact with something, like a scratch scratch sound, I also know that when u install the Cam Gears you also have to sand down the Cam Gear cover, so maybe is it just the Cam Gear that is making the noise or is my CamGears/timing belt is having contact with something? maybe the Belt moved out of place? please help :(

chris
05-15-2004, 12:21 AM
tried calling vishnu?

EvoVIII
05-15-2004, 08:07 AM
today is saturday , they are off.....

GReddy_917
05-15-2004, 08:32 AM
be very carefull....youre playing with fire when it comes to anything to do with the timing belt.

smogrunner
05-15-2004, 12:52 PM
EvoVIII
the first thing you've got to do is just take the cover off and drive around the block (on clean asphalt so no rock or pebbles fall into your lower pulley area). If you don't hear it anymore, it is just your cam gear plastic cover. Just grind it down more and slap that bitch back on there and your problems will be over.

EvoVIII
05-15-2004, 04:05 PM
hmm I pulled the car out today and let it warm up for like 5mins don't hear a thing but the engine is really running unsmooth as I hear the engine runs, seems like is gonna die or misfiring a bit, I took out the Sparkplug and have a look seems like the car is running too Lean coz the Sparkplug is not brown/black is more like Silver... I really need to bring it back and have it tune/check out and let them figure the rest out. but the weird sound is gone now.. maybe the engine is not hot enough and things didn't expand... thanks for the advise u guys

lambtron
05-15-2004, 05:53 PM
have you gotten a reflash yet?

EvoVIII
05-15-2004, 06:11 PM
no man, thats what I am worrying about, I mean -5degree on both cam gear is alot, but right now I am running with out tuning, I am glad that this is a Low compression car, if other wise on a High compression car my engine probably blow already, so any advise/suggestion would help, but I won't be driving it again til I tune it

smogrunner
05-16-2004, 07:33 AM
EvoVIII,
If you haven't ground down the inside ridges of your cam gear cover, that is all you are hearing. Tip: after you grind off the plastic ridges, make sure you use a little razor knife or pocket knife to scrape off the loose plastic. Not a big deal but who wants little melty plastic on their pulleys?

As far as your car not running well: give us a list of your mods. I can't tell if you just put in cam gears or if you have installed a complete staged upgrade.

EvoVIII
05-16-2004, 08:13 AM
ok here's the list

Ultimate Racing High Flow
HKS DP(warped)
HKS Carbon Ti Cat back
HKS Ground Kit
HKS TwinPower DLi
HKS SSQV
New Denso IR Sparkplug(1 step Colder)
Xede
Xede/Flash