PDA

View Full Version : Air Condition!

Hot8Evo
08-24-2006, 03:28 PM
If you guys having problems with your AC or your AC is getting low and not getting cold please let me know or just stop by at Tech 3 down in monterey ave. Look for boiz winston and just say my name he will hook you up. My AC is now FREAKING cold...

Positron
08-24-2006, 04:02 PM
summer is almost ovver. Maybe next spring =]

dohcvtec
08-25-2006, 11:13 AM
If you guys having problems with your AC or your AC is getting low and not getting cold please let me know or just stop by at Tech 3 down in monterey ave. Look for boiz winston and just say my name he will hook you up. My AC is now FREAKING cold...

You know Winston? Haha, thats my boy.

KareBearPowa
08-25-2006, 11:23 AM
You know Winston? Haha, thats my boy.

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/content/images/2005_1053.JPG

OR

http://www.sixthseal.com/images/cigmsia/winston.jpg

?

Turbo Cahones
08-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the info

byt
08-31-2006, 07:42 PM
tech 3, huh?..........

MitsuMan
08-31-2006, 10:29 PM
what do they charge per pound? for freon

vtluu
08-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Nobody uses Freon anymore...

I don't have any problem with my A/C. :twisted:

warpspeed
09-04-2006, 06:51 PM

Yup.* They use R-134a.* Here is my advice for everyone out there with A/C in their car/s, run your a/c once in awhile so the refrigerant can circulate in the system.* If you don't run your a/c at all, the seals inside can dry up and that is where you problems start.* Remember the refrigerant doesn't just cool, it also lubricates the seals.* The best way to do it is when you are warming up your car. Because:

1.* With the A/C on, it puts a load on the engine so it can heat up faster.

2.* You circulate the refrigerant enough in the system to keep the seals lubricated.

Doing this, your* A/C should not have any problems and will keep you cool. :)

MR_06
09-04-2006, 06:59 PM
1. With the A/C on, it puts a load on the engine so it can heat up faster.

i was gonna ask that question... been pondering in my head... y does car warm up faster when A/C is on?

and y does gas burn up quicker when A/C is on?

vtluu
09-04-2006, 11:58 PM
The AC compressor is driven by the engine via the serpentine belt and AC compressor pulley. When the AC is off, a clutch in the compressor opens and the pulley creates very little drag on the engine. When the AC is on, the clutch engages so the engine can drive the compressor. This creates added load; to avoid bogging, the ECU will idle the car a bit higher at idle. The added load and revs cause the engine to warm up faster. The added load also causes higher fuel consumption, and also takes a bit of power away from the drivetrain.

redvolution
09-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Good summary Tam. On A/C'd cars with <200hp the drag on the engine can be quite noticeable.

Does the A/C clutch ever need servicing?

warpspeed
09-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Does the A/C clutch ever need servicing?

Not really. The life of the clutch last as long as the compressor itself. Back to what I posted. It is good to run your a/c once in a while so the refrigerant can circulate and keep the seals lubricated. The main reason an a/c clutch goes out is when the bearings start seizing (due to dry start). It's kinda like when you don't use your car for.....let say 1 month. All the oil is in the oil pan and when you first start the car, the engine starts dry. The a/c compressor are not that forgiving. In case anyone wants to know, it is said that with the a/c on, you can lose as much as 20% of hp and can raise the engine temp by 25 degrees.

MarkSAE
09-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Good tips on turning the AC on to circulate the refrigerant to keep the seals lubed.

When recharging an AC system, is it bad to use the cans w/ the stop leak stuff? Will that stuff clog up everything else in addition to the leaks?

warpspeed
09-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Good tips on turning the AC on to circulate the refrigerant to keep the seals lubed.

When recharging an AC system, is it bad to use the cans w/ the stop leak stuff? Will that stuff clog up everything else in addition to the leaks?

I use to work on A/C alot. Those so call recharge kit are just temporary. They will get the cabin cool enough but will not last long. Those stop leak will act like those stop leak you put in radiators. They can clog and mess things up. If your a/c is not getting cool enough, you can pretty much say you have a leak and any type of recharge kit you buy will be useless. Once you find a leak, the whole system has to be evacuated by a machine,which we don't have and cost $$$ and then refill it with the right refrigerant to that type of system. I remember back in the days when people disconnect their a/c in the winter time and puts it back in the summer and wonder why their a/c is not getting cold in the summertime.

MitsuMan
09-05-2006, 01:19 PM

uh R-12 and r134a are what I call freon sorry Refrigerant.*

your car also heats us faster mainly because the condenser gets soo hot and it heats up the radiator
the refrigerant oil lubes the system not the refrigerant
compressor clutches just wear out like any clutch from engaging and disengaging. they can wear faster if you have a low refrigerant charge because the compressor will cycle more often. the clutch can be replaced seperatly from the compressor because most of the time the copressor is still good. but 99% of repair shops will sell you a compressor w/ clutch assembly because it is easier to install as one unit then to take the clutch off the compressor. but what they don't tell you is that the clutch by itself cost around $100-150. compressors cost $450 and up. I just did one that cost the customer $900 bucks just for the part. so if your wise you will ask if the compressor is bad or just the clutch failed. a compresser going bad will make noise just like a car with low oil would like a(rattle) with ac on most of the time the system may just be low on oil. every time you remove Refrigerant you loose oil because they are mixed together. a good shop will add about an ounce of new ac oil when servicing your car, make shure you ask about that one tooo. 1/2 the time a noisy compressor will go away and work fine when oil is added. if its still noisy then it is worn internally and should be replaced. catastophic compressor failure is very bad and can send debris thought the system damaging other part, I've even seen compressors seize and break the serp belt, then you are fucked(no charging, no P/S and sometimes no water pump circulation on some cars
the a/c always cut out at WOT so the power loss is only felt at cruise and light accell.

MR_06
09-05-2006, 08:14 PM
lots of good info on A/C...m :D