PDA

View Full Version : Help request: removing calipers

Matz
08-26-2006, 07:51 PM
I've tried various wrenches and have hammered the end of the wrench, etc to try to get the two bolts off. I just bought some adapters so I could use my longest ratchet, and still couldn't get the little bastards off. Any ideas? :)

KareBearPowa
08-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Turn the wheel so you can get a big bar in there. Big bar + breaker bar works wonders. That's how I get mine off.

Do you have a breaker bar? When you reinstall the bolts use some anti-seize.

Matz
08-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Turn the wheel so you can get a big bar in there. Big bar + breaker bar works wonders. That's how I get mine off.

Do you have a breaker bar? When you reinstall the bolts use some anti-seize.

It's amazing what having a brain will do for you. OMFG I didn't even think about turning the damn steering wheel. :oops: Thanks, man. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

AreSTG
08-27-2006, 05:18 PM
changing pads? or is this part of reaplcing you fugged up studs?

Matz
08-27-2006, 05:39 PM

The latter. Today has really pissed me off, and I don't want to go into details about how fucked up my car is right now.

AreSTG
08-27-2006, 06:17 PM

The latter. Today has really pissed me off, and I don't want to go into details about how fucked up my car is right now.

promise you will once it's all fixed up?

MarkSAE
08-27-2006, 06:18 PM
I hope you used 6-pt sockets when attempting to hammer.

Matz
08-27-2006, 06:20 PM
I hope you used 6-pt sockets when attempting to hammer.

Yes. Why does it matter? I don't understand how 6 pts. helps...

Matz
08-27-2006, 06:22 PM

promise you will once it's all fixed up?

Of course! I don't mind posting and looking like a fool. ;)

I'll take pictures of the wheel tonight. Makes me want to cry.

MarkSAE
08-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Yes. Why does it matter? I don't understand how 6 pts. helps...

Try hammering a stuck nut/bolt using a 12-pt socket and you'll know. The chances of rounding the corners off a bolt are much higher.

From my experience, I've always found using extensions to be a bad thing when trying to crack stuck bolts loose. The shorter the distance between the ratchet/breaker bar and the bolt, the better... especially if you're gonna hammer.. you don't want any type of misalignment.

For the caliper bolts, I've had great success getting them off using just a breaker bar and 6-pt 1/2" socket and no extensions.