PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good shop for transmission services in Bay Area?

EuGeNiLe
05-21-2004, 02:46 AM
hey everybody, i was just wondering if anybody had any experiences or know of a shop which know their stuff about transmissions.. as simple as installing a clutch.. and as far as a rebuild..

this is for my 95 gsx (awd).. i really prefer to somewhere close to the san jose area.. but if theres truely a shop that is good at what they do and i can trust.. then a lil further wont hurt.. thanks

EvolvedDSM
05-21-2004, 12:56 PM
I would imagine some of the local shops (possibly GB Motorsports or some of the other advertised vendors here) could help you out on the labor aspect. For a rebuild, I'd ship it off to John Shephard (http://www.shepracing.com/) or TRE (http://www.teamrip.com).

2G trannies can be a pain and can take up to 9 hours to drop/reinstall. I doubt a shop would charge that as a flat rate (probably closer to 5 or 6), but still pricey.

MitsuMan
05-21-2004, 03:50 PM
9 hours includes lunch and dinner, yea go tre for reliable rebult trans they are the same price if you went to jo somebody tranny shop all shops have a warenty and you have the BAR on your side so don't be woried just ask around to see who have a good labor/hr rate

EuGeNiLe
05-22-2004, 02:24 AM
thanks for the reply guys..

i have contemplated on a tranny rebuild from shep.. believe me i have.. any DSM owner does.. lol.. however if the problem isnt too extent i really just want one shop to do everythnig so i dont hassle with shipipng thet ranny and waiting for it to return, etc..

i want to be able to bring the car to a place that can drop and inspect the tranny.. and after doing so and finding out all the problems and what is needed to be done.. they too can do it.. and not have my tranny jumping around from place to place..

does works and gb have any experience with DSM trannies? how good are they when working on EVO trannies? im assuming things will be somewhat familiar..

another key concern is labor cost.. i already emailed Works to see their pricing.. however i hear they charge a GRIP.. i will mostl ikely be purchasing an act2600 w/street disc from whoever the shop i end up going with.. assuming they can beat/match the price of a few places locally that also have sell it..

my car has been down for 6 months now.. hoping to get it back up and running by summer so i can then save up to upgrade this too small big16g i have :) so any feedback will be helpful

chris
05-22-2004, 03:04 PM
sup gene. i use to kick it on newcelica.org a while back and went to one of your meets at dave and buster. at that time i was kicking with ryan(yoshi8me) and i still do. just wanted to welcome ya here =) name is chris, and forgot what username i used on newcelica.

EvoVIII
05-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Motorsport Tenique is pretty good located in Hayward

EuGeNiLe
05-25-2004, 03:47 PM
sup gene. i use to kick it on newcelica.org a while back and went to one of your meets at dave and buster. at that time i was kicking with ryan(yoshi8me) and i still do. just wanted to welcome ya here =) name is chris, and forgot what username i used on newcelica.

yo wuddup man.. yea i remember.. so u got urself and EVO eh? nice car man.. love that AWD and the potential of the 4G63.. a lot of people are blinded by the bigger displacement and higher hp stock the STi has from the factory.. though not a bad thing.. i got my GSX to mod up cause i know the 4g63 takes very wel to mods.. maybe we can have a friendly run someday.. i wanna see if i can hang wit u EVO guys in my old X :)

that is after i fix the tranny

going back on topic.. does motorsport tenique(sp?) or did u mean technique. have a website?

chris
05-25-2004, 05:38 PM
u live by senter or something like that right. im right off of capital and mc laughlin if u want to meet up and chat or so.

EuGeNiLe
05-26-2004, 12:05 AM
u live by senter or something like that right. im right off of capital and mc laughlin if u want to meet up and chat or so.

4 sho.. but my car dont run.. its been sittin in the garage for 6 months now.. dont know who i can trust wit my precious car.. tat and no funds hah..

chris
05-26-2004, 07:12 AM
so how do u get around? =X

EuGeNiLe
05-26-2004, 09:48 PM
i walk

jk.. i have my daily driven van..
even wen the car was koo i hardly ever drove it.. the x is my weekend car.. and now it seems more like just eye candy in the garage..

chris
05-27-2004, 07:43 AM
i need myself a civic hybrid/prius hahah. and have my evo for a weekend car.