PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse/Evo

warpspeed
12-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Hello fellow Evo owners? I have a brief question about the Evo. When I was in Long Beach a few days ago to visit friends, they were shock to see me having an Evo. The reason was, was I was a Honda guy. Anyway one of my friend was into Mitsu. more than I was and he made a comment about the Evo. Here is my question and his comment. He said that the Evo was like a Eclipse GST or GSX ( I couldn't remember) on steroids. Is he right? If so is there any parts that are interchangeable just in case I happen to go to a junk yard and see one for parts?
thanks

Noel :)

vtluu
12-16-2003, 07:31 PM
The 2G Eclipse GSX and the Evo have a few similarities, e.g. same 4G63 engine (mostly) but they're otherwise different cars. I don't think they have the same drivetrain if that's what you're asking.

nebolic
12-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Evo's powerplant I believe is the 4G63, and no it is not the same as the eclipse GSX or GST, I mean i guess they share the same platform engine but i think internally and all that good stuff in the Evo is way different. And I'm guessing most parts for the GSX wont work cuz I tried ot look fori nterchangable parts and cant find any, maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

On a side note...
Went to get gas today, and at the gas station was a turbo Saturn? he reved on me and his BOV was fu@#king loud. So I decided to play with him... smoked him by 3 car lengths.... another kill for an Evo

EvolvedDSM
12-16-2003, 10:56 PM
While they share engine codes, there's a lot different. The DSMs use the "same" engine found in the Galant GVR-4 and EVO I through III. After that, they were rotated 180* and have been tweaked for the past 10+ years in Japan. Meanwhile, Mitsu continued to use the "dated" engine in the American market. Needless to say they have evolved into to divergent species (bad analogy/pun, but this is what I studied).

I compared a small list here (http://www.columbusdsm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203), but these are just the minor differences. I figure the larger ones are fairly obvious once you look at the two for yourself.

thomas
12-20-2003, 02:02 AM
juss remember that your evo has hollow camshafts...

oh, and a intercooler spray, haha.

559EVO
02-24-2004, 12:38 AM
Dont forget 19 pounds of boost!

DR_EVIL
02-24-2004, 07:59 PM
19lbs thats last for a split second less u have a boost controller

JanSolo
02-24-2004, 08:02 PM
19lbs thats last for a split second less u have a boost controller

Or reflash.