PDA

View Full Version : Question about fluids

TogueMonster
09-15-2006, 06:09 AM
Getting my clutch done today.* Heres a newb kwestion.* I need Diaqueen and tranny fluid, like BG or something, right?* I just want to be sure I'm geting the correct fluids before I go buy the fluids this morning.* I dont want to create more problems by putting in the wrong stuff. Thank you. :?

MarkSAE
09-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Just make sure you put diaqueen in the t-case and rear diff. In the tranny, you can use BG, BGII, Pennzoil synchromesh, redline, or any other GL4 fluid that meets the stock viscosity requirements.

TogueMonster
09-15-2006, 06:54 AM
Thanks. I would imagine it would be okay to run Lucas fluids in the tranny as well. Would the 75/90 gear oil be okay? Or should I just stick with the BG or Redline? If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears.

MarkSAE
09-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks. I would imagine it would be okay to run Lucas fluids in the tranny as well. Would the 75/90 gear oil be okay? Or should I just stick with the BG or Redline? If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears.

The factory viscosity requirement is 75W-85 or 75W-90.* Just make sure the oil that goes into the tranny is GL4.* Don't use GL5 as it is corrosive to brass and copper.* Our synchros are made of brass.* GL5 is fine in the t-case and rear diff.

TogueMonster
09-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Super, thanks.

TogueMonster
09-15-2006, 07:57 AM
:lol: I thought this was kinda funny. I called Selma Mitsubishi on the Diaqueen oil. They say all they have is Diamond gear oil 75/85. I asked if that was the same as Diaqueen and they said they had never heard of Diaqueen and would NOT recommend running that stuff in an Evo. They also said "I don't know what dealership is trying to sell you that stuff but I wouldn't use it, If you want the Diamond Gear Oil its, $159.60, 4 Liters." That kinda made me laugh. :lol:

vtluu
09-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Diaqueen, 4 litres, part number 3775610, $35.05 from MitsubishiParts.net: http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/cart/?pn=3775610

Locally, I believe WORKS carries it. SRM may sell you some, as they're less idiotic than other dealerships.

TogueMonster
09-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Cool, thanks Tam.* Actually, I ran into an ex co worker at a local Mitsu Dealer and he gave me employee pricing on two 4 liter cans of Diaqueen.* I bought two, one for later on down the line if when I need to change LSD fluids again.* 2-4 liter cans for $25.* Now all I need is the BG oil for zee tranny. If only I could get employee pricing on that too. :lol:

KareBearPowa
09-15-2006, 09:17 AM
You can also run redline MT-90 in the tranny. It is 75w-90. Remember the first number is the viscosity when cold and the second number is when hot. W stands for winter, not weight.

http://www.racq.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/racq_cms_production/hs.xsl/Motoring_Maint_Repairs_Foun_factsheet_engine_oil_d esignations_ENA_HTML.htm

I've been doing lots of research on tranny fluids lately. ;)

I'm going to try out a cocktail of 1qt Redline Shockproof heavyweight and the rest redline MT-90.

MarkSAE
09-15-2006, 09:25 AM
The shockproof oils are GL5. So your synchros may not like them too much.

KareBearPowa
09-15-2006, 09:30 AM
The shockproof oils are GL5. So your synchros may not like them too much.

Well it's a constant battle between good shifting and good protection, hence only 1qt of shockproof and the rest MT-90. We'll see how it goes.

dohcvtec
09-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Give TRE a heads up that you'll be sending your tranny to him again.

:)

KareBearPowa
09-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Give TRE a heads up that you'll be sending your tranny to him again.

:)

O RLY?

but I thought GL-5 was bad for our synchros?

I knew you would ask this ;-) The GL-5 may turn out to be a little too slippery
for the synchros to do there job but if it doesn't grind it'll be fine.

TIA!

dohcvtec
09-15-2006, 11:37 AM
I guess that means he'll repair it for free when you destroy it, sweet! :)

turbotiger
09-15-2006, 12:28 PM
GL-5 is corrosive, to brass, isn't it? I'm sure it'll be fine for the first couple of years, but if you're talking about 5+ years of longevity, I'm sure it'll start corroding the synchros by then.

KareBearPowa
09-15-2006, 01:29 PM
GL-5 is corrosive, to brass, isn't it? I'm sure it'll be fine for the first couple of years, but if you're talking about 5+ years of longevity, I'm sure it'll start corroding the synchros by then.

I doubt my 6spd will last 5yrs.

TogueMonster
09-17-2006, 05:31 AM
Crap.* The shop I took my car to yesterday, which quoted me at $350 for the clutch job, says that they werent expecting the kind of job they got when my car got there.* They asked if it was awd and if it was a Lancer Evolution or Lancer Prancer.* I assumed they knew thier ish.* Well, now they want to charge me $850 to do the clutch for 4 days of labor.* I was like "4 days?!?!?!?"* Well, now I have to tow my car outta there bring it back home and call Gruppe S to set up an appointment, which they said will have to be in about a week or so because they are booked.* So I gotta rent a trailer, and tow my car all the way up to Frisco.* Prolly stay up there for a weekend or so.* We'll see.* How gay.* It took me all day driving around to different Autozones/Kragen to finally find Pennzoil Synchromesh, now I don't think I'll need it.* I assume Gruppe S supplies the fluids for a clutch job. *sigh** *:x* :?* :(

KareBearPowa
09-17-2006, 09:33 AM
yea get your car out of that place. haha

vtluu
09-17-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm feeling generous, so I'll tow your car to one of my friends: WORKS (SF), eXtreme Performance (SJ), or Clutch Wizard (Santa Clara) if you pay for gas. You won't save a huge amount of money but they'll get it done quicker and they know how to do a clutch job on an Evo.

I have a flatbed trailer with an electric winch.

Call them for a quote:
WORKS: 415-641-9675
eXtreme Performance: 408-923-6404
Clutch Wizard/Clutch Mart: 408-554-9210 (ask for Tyrell)

Don't forget to tell them I sent you.

MarkSAE
09-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Hey Tam, you should start your own tow service!

evo_dadi
09-17-2006, 11:55 AM
now thats helping out an evo owner in need 8)

TogueMonster
09-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Wow, that is extremely generous of you Tam. I don't even know what to say. Ummm, you are aware that I live in Fresno? Well, heres what I have decided to do. The clutch in the car is in pretty bad shape. However, I think that I might be able to make it there on the clutch. I guess if I don't make it all the way up there you can come and rescue me Tam. :lol: But I'm pretty sure I'll get there, not as fast as usual but I'll get there. Thanks for the numbers, I'll give WORKS and the others a call Monday morning and see who I decide to go with and who can fit me in. I had problems getting an intercooler but I finally found one, and a lower IC pipe and they are on the way. Once they get here, I'm going to put the car back together and set up my appointment with the shop. Then I'll drive up there. Again, Tam, I appreciate your generosity, thats very big of you. I'll let you know if I need help with the towing. Thanks.

vtluu
09-17-2006, 01:17 PM
PM'ed you my number, call me if you get stranded in the middle of nowhere... :lol:

Reminds me of when I got my clutch replaced. As soon as I had the appointment set up with WORKS, I launched the car at every opportunity since I knew I wasn't keeping the old clutch/flywheel.

The day finally came to take my car to WORKS, and when I got it there, the clutch was so badly burned up they could barely drive it into the shop. (And yet I managed to drive it there.) So yours can't quite be as bad as that. :lol:

TogueMonster
09-17-2006, 01:27 PM
:lol: You'd be surprised. Actually, when I drive it I have to rev it up for about 5 seconds before the clutch actually bites, then once I get going up to speed the clutch will slip again, and rev to the limiter. This is at cruising speeds. I really hope I can make it. :(

ek9_evo9
09-22-2006, 08:23 AM
sonds dangerous, if i were you id take tams offer and get it trailered from fresno out to the bay area. my 2 cents

TogueMonster
09-22-2006, 08:40 AM
After alot of thinking, I have decided to just rent a trailer and tow it myself. Although I appreciate Tams generous offer, I think it would be easier for me to just rent a trailer here, I think they said it would run about $60 per day, and just tow it with the Navigator. All my parts should be here by the end of next week, if the sellers don't lag on me. The car is safe in my garage now so I don't have to worry about people jacking my new intercooler or retarded kids throwing anything at it. Now I can work on it in peace.