PDA

View Full Version : 2006 WRX STI

Mystique
09-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Damn I drove my friend's 2006 STI today and man that thing pulls hard. I was really impressed with the low end power and damn that boxer engine just roared as the rpm climbed.

RgistRdShowoffIX
09-20-2006, 11:19 PM
I still haven't driven one... :(

bricel24
09-20-2006, 11:31 PM
how is it compared to your evo

Mystique
09-20-2006, 11:36 PM
I don't have an Evo, and I haven't really driven an Evo besides a quick test drive where I wasn't aloud to smash on it. I can compared it to my Prelude, and damn my Prelude felt so torqueless after driving that STI. Oh man Honda and their torquey ass motors. haha.

superfleajq
09-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Yea...I used to drive a 99 Prelude myself, and it had absolutely no tq....but my Evo has plenty :D

UCB
09-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Still cant compare to a STis :P

The low end power and throttle response on a STi is pretty wicked, even more so when modded

Mystique
09-21-2006, 06:16 PM
For some reason after driving an STI, I have second thoughts about an Evo and I might just get an STI since I can get it for much cheaper and it's a better daily driver than an Evo. DAMN.

For those who drove both Evo's and STI's how do you guys like them?

MarkSAE
09-21-2006, 06:51 PM
There's more to these cars than just acceleration.

wrx2evo8
09-21-2006, 07:02 PM
well.. how modded was the sti? are you going to be able to get the sti to your friends level? all i've read is that the sti dosen't take to mods to well. the evo sure does! you need to go for a ride in a lightly/modeterately.. well hell.. a highly modded evo... and one other thing.. the 06 sti's look so so ugly in my opinion.. while the evo's keep getting sexier and sexier....

EFIxMR
09-21-2006, 07:15 PM
i've been driving this 04' sti and the evo drives a lot better. my evo9 is actually has more tq. the 04' sti takes a lot of mods to get the car handling acceptable.

SilverStreak
09-26-2006, 11:53 AM
this issue has gone on constantly...there are pros/cons to both

for me...i've always been an evo fan...so the choice was clear.

but the sti does have more torque so it will "feel" faster. Reviewers say the cars have two different methods for meeting the same needs. The Evo is light/nimble and is deceptively quick. The STI is all about muscle.

as far as looks go...the evo has always been a hit. though i have been noticing that the STI does grow on you over time.

either way for daily driving-the STI has always been considered a slightly better choice. For all out fun...its been the evo.

dl_EVO
09-26-2006, 12:05 PM
I drove a 06 sti before my IX GSR.

Sti feels torquey even when it's out of boost. But the IX GSR feels way faster once it picks up...

EVO is tossable, you can toss it around and it tells you what to do, when to keep going when to stop.

STi is a great car don't get me wrong, but the feedback the car gives you isnt very good.

STi is a lot more comfartable, if your into that kind of thing.

DaveLC2
09-26-2006, 01:00 PM
I'd be concerned with the understeer near the limits. I have yet to drive one myself so I probably shouldn't comment but you should probably take a test drive in both AND sit in the back seat. That's what made me decide against a brand new blue WRX wagon that I was going to get. I really like the Subaru's but I love my Evo* :lol: Heck the Evo & Lancer's have more rear seat leg room than a Lincoln LS :shock:

Dave

dl_EVO
09-26-2006, 01:02 PM
I drove a 06 sti before my IX GSR.

Sti feels torquey even when it's out of boost. But the IX GSR feels way faster once it picks up...

EVO is tossable, you can toss it around and it tells you what to do, when to keep going when to stop.

STi is a great car don't get me wrong, but the feedback the car gives you isnt very good.

STi is a lot more comfartable, if your into that kind of thing.

I test drove.. not owned

UCB
09-27-2006, 09:48 PM
this issue has gone on constantly...there are pros/cons to both

for me...i've always been an evo fan...so the choice was clear.

but the sti does have more torque so it will "feel" faster. Reviewers say the cars have two different methods for meeting the same needs. The Evo is light/nimble and is deceptively quick. The STI is all about muscle.

as far as looks go...the evo has always been a hit. though i have been noticing that the STI does grow on you over time.

either way for daily driving-the STI has always been considered a slightly better choice. For all out fun...its been the evo.

i've been driving this 04' sti and the evo drives a lot better. my evo9 is actually has more tq. the 04' sti takes a lot of mods to get the car handling acceptable.

I agree with all of the above. I owned and moded a 05 STi for over a year. Sold it in July and picked up my evo IX

Have not regreted it as all. In order to get the sti to handle like a stock evo, you need to lower it, throw on some sways/endlinks, thus the confort goes down a lot.

And the stock seats in the STi suck balls

Lurk
09-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Plastic motor mounts on the '06 STi FTL!

Only things I miss about my old Suby was the wicked boxer rumble and cruise control.

UCB
09-28-2006, 07:56 AM
lol, +2 on that. I still hang out with lots of suby guys so I hear their rumble all the time. The 4g63 gurgle just isnt as enticing

And yeah, cruise control. I drive quite a bit (to and from LA, down to monterey, to and from tahoe), CC would be nice!

dohcvtec
09-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Agreed, I love the sound of the Boxer motor!