PDA

View Full Version : Problem with SSQV BlowOfF Valve

Stelios
05-27-2004, 01:38 AM
Im referred to the HKS SSQV
http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/S_1859.jpg

I install the devise in a Evo VII without any modifications.
I place it just at the place that the factory blow off valve was and close
the other hole.
I have a problem. Get the valve blow the engine begin to stall and go
into safe mode....

My observation was that the system has not programmed to have a
Valve to loose the pressure in the open air.
So, i took the recirculation pipe....
I make the valve to loose the pressure at the intake again.....
The problem has still on.

Can someone help me about it?

Q. Are there any differences at the spring that included in the SSQV?

Thanks previously

vtluu
05-27-2004, 02:05 AM
Wow, a visitor from the opposite side of the planet! Welcome! :D

People here have had problem with the HKS SSQV too; see http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=338

I think in that case they ended up putting the stock one back on. People have had much better luck with the GFB BOV and my impression is that it's certainly the most popular amongst Evo owners here.

Good luck!

Stelios
05-27-2004, 04:40 AM
Wow, a visitor from the opposite side of the planet! Welcome! :D

People here have had problem with the HKS SSQV too; see http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=338

I think in that case they ended up putting the stock one back on. People have had much better luck with the GFB BOV and my impression is that it's certainly the most popular amongst Evo owners here.

Good luck!

Nice to find you guy's....

We have to finf a solution about that , here in Greece the 80%
of the Evo Owners has this type of bov and nowone says something
about it...

The same thing happened to a friend when he installed a bonalloum bov

EvolvedDSM
05-27-2004, 06:57 AM
Check your other connections on the piping. You could have a loose fitting. Maybe your setting is too loose and air is escaping the valve when you don't need it to. Try to tighten it some.

evo_dadi
05-27-2004, 07:00 AM
is it recirculating by any chance? does it have the purple or gold insert inside? try playing around with the adjustments for it to find the right spot for it.

nebolic
05-27-2004, 08:40 AM
yes there are differences in the spring that is included in the kit. If you are stalling when your car is blowing off the air, then i think the valve is not closing back fast enough. Try fiddling with it, you might want a stiffer spring(?). also check your vacum hose, the little tiny skinny one, it might be kinked, that can cause it to stall.

Nebo

Stelios
05-27-2004, 09:05 AM
yes there are differences in the spring that is included in the kit. If you are stalling when your car is blowing off the air, then i think the valve is not closing back fast enough. Try fiddling with it, you might want a stiffer spring(?). also check your vacum hose, the little tiny skinny one, it might be kinked, that can cause it to stall.

Nebo

As you said and my guess is the spring. But when i have it at the stiffter stage it is not doing any difference an all.
Myebe a have to take an other spring...(I better try to win the JAKPOT, it will be easier)

Thanks for your help anyway.

also check your vacum hose

I dont know what that is totally, maybe the word "vacum" is
unknown to me, sorry about my english

It have the purple one inside...

nebolic
05-27-2004, 09:10 AM
hmm if its not stiffer try softer setting.

The vacum hose, how do i explain it, there should be little hose that connects the BOV to the vacum pipe. Does anyone have a pic so they can show Stelios? Sorry, I can't really explain it. By the way, what other adjustment settings are there on the HKS Bov, besides the spring settings. If its the spring settings only, let me think, if stiffer one doesnt work, I know this sounds wierd but try the softest setting you can get. Reason being is that the soft spring will let the valve close faster, but the slightest release of the gas pedal will make it vent.

Okie i was taking a look at the pics, on the BOV near the top, there is a little metal piece/valve looking thing sticking out. Kind of thin looking. Make sure the hose from there that connects back to the vacum outlet in the Evo is not kinked. If the valve is too long it will get kinked and cause problems. Kinked means bent or twisted.

The stiffer spring will let you hold more boost, but if you're stock you shouldn't be need that stiff of a spring. Iknow that for most brands of BOV, the Evo only likes the softest setting on the BOVs.

Nebo

SSwest
05-27-2004, 09:32 AM
I have a similar problem with mine. When I coast to a stop the rev's drop almost to the point of stalling then rebound. I have since put the recirc. kit on and still have the same problem. The screw is set about half way maybe even a little looser than that. But oh well, works fine for me. Good luck

Stelios
05-27-2004, 12:29 PM
I have a similar problem with mine. When I coast to a stop the rev's drop almost to the point of stalling then rebound. I have since put the recirc. kit on and still have the same problem. The screw is set about half way maybe even a little looser than that. But oh well, works fine for me. Good luck

My problem looks similar to yours, but since i put the recirculation kit
nothing happend.
I tried all the settings at the top by screwing the screw like 100 times
a little bit every time, it still doesn't work.

Vacum = Opposite of pressure? The pipe that we connect the T for the
Boost gauss?

nebolic
05-27-2004, 12:43 PM
yes thats the vacum hose. make sure that hose is not kinked. Hmm however I dont have mine connected to the boost gauge.

Nebo

Stelios
05-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Probably than will not be the problem , because when i put the factory
bov back again everything is working properly.
So it is not the vacum tube.

But i will do your will and check tomorow.

nebolic What type of Evo have you got?
Are you using another ECU?

nebolic
05-27-2004, 03:06 PM
I have US Spec Evo 8, I'm not sure how much different ours are then the rest of the world. But most of us do experience problems with the BOV venting to the atmosphere, just because the Evo MAF is not designed for the BOV to vent to the atmosphere.

I'm using the GFB Unit tuned by WORKS Rally which is a fully adjustable unit that can vent and recirc at the same time. Works wonders for the Evo, you should check it out. The link is below.
http://www.worksrally.com/products/0216.html

Nebo

Stelios
05-27-2004, 03:38 PM
I have US Spec Evo 8, I'm not sure how much different ours are then the rest of the world. But most of us do experience problems with the BOV venting to the atmosphere, just because the Evo MAF is not designed for the BOV to vent to the atmosphere.

I agree to that point. The MAF is the problem. Everyone here who place
an other ECU have not got any prob.
No difference at the engine. Only at the differentials.

I'm using the GFB Unit tuned by WORKS Rally which is a fully adjustable unit that can vent and recirc at the same time. Works wonders for the Evo, you should check it out. The link is below.

A lot of people here trust these guys....
But the distance is big. We cannot do something about that

nebolic
05-27-2004, 03:50 PM
hmm okie the next best thing I can do is find the guy here that has the HKS SSQV on his Evo to post up his settings. I'll ask him to do that. Maybe if you match your settings to his it might work.

Nebo

MitsuMan
05-27-2004, 04:07 PM
I'd go back to the factory one the shift quality is better I hade the Forge bov and it was ok just made the shifts very choppy works I here has a good one. Remember Race cars don't have to deal with very many stop lights and most High performance parts give you drivability problems

SLVR EVO
05-27-2004, 08:48 PM
I have the HKS, and I had problems with it at the begining (~200 miles on the odometer) using the default setting for the screw on top. I later unscrewed it and then just finger tightened it untell I felt the screw actually make contact with the valve adjuster. I left it at that and its been fine for the most part. But I had my ECU reflashed by WORKS later when I had like 400 miles on the car so that could have played into it some how. Even now though, I do experience it, say once or twice a month depending on how I've been driving (usually only after comming to a stop right after traveling quite some distance on the freeway going 65+) The rest of my setting or in my sig, but that only leaves the turbo timer and that shouldn't even matter.

I guess you could always adjust your idle a little bit too. Maybe adjust it to about 1000 rpms instead of ~800 like it is. This could give the engine just enough power to keep it from dipping too low.

Stelios
05-30-2004, 05:17 PM
I guess you could always adjust your idle a little bit too. Maybe adjust it to about 1000 rpms instead of ~800 like it is. This could give the engine just enough power to keep it from dipping too low.

That will solve the problem. Here in Greece we have 100 octane fuels.
When i have that the problem disappear at a point.. The car work will more than 950rpm at idle.

But i cannot adjust the idle? How can i set this thing up?
I dont have my car reflashed...

evo_dadi
05-30-2004, 05:42 PM
cant adjust idle not unless you have a stand alone already or either that a higher profile cam.it'll still drop the rpm low so best for now is the stock bov.thats what we did on my buddy's car since we cant get rid of that stalling issue also.

coolguy949
05-30-2004, 05:46 PM
You need a recirculation kit. I sell them for $15 + shipping. Basically what's happening is that the Karman MAF we have in the evo is accounting for the blown off air thinking it's going to suck it in an use it. Since you're blowing that air to the atmosphere, the engine has more fuel in the mixture than it thinks. The increased amount of fuel in the mixture is what's causing the stalling and bogging.

EvolvedDSM
05-30-2004, 06:13 PM
cant adjust idle not unless you have a stand alone already or either that a higher profile cam.it'll still drop the rpm low so best for now is the stock bov.thats what we did on my buddy's car since we cant get rid of that stalling issue also.

Actually, there is some limited adjustment to idle on a stock car. The BISS (Base Idle Set Screw), allows you to do just that. Mine came a little high from Mitsu, so I lowered it a tad--clockwise to lower, counter-clockwise to raise if I remember correctly.

Number 4 (there may be a cap covering it):
http://www.columbusdsm.com/forum/files/tb1_780.jpg

evo_dadi
05-30-2004, 06:50 PM
oh really :shock: ooops didnt know that :P can you squeeze some free hp form it also :wink: :wink:

LEVIII
05-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Try the EIDS Type K. It is suppose to fix all the idle probs with the SSQV.

JanSolo
05-30-2004, 10:31 PM
Jamie makes more use out of the Mitsu shop manual than any person I know. Goddamn.

EvoVIII
05-30-2004, 10:38 PM
EIDS Type K, what is Type K?? n e 1 tryed it b4?

LEVIII
05-31-2004, 12:28 AM
I dont know what the type K is but that it is for the us us spec evo. I ordered one but its not in yetn but I was promised it would fix all the idle and stalling probs.

Stelios
06-01-2004, 12:52 AM
You need a recirculation kit.

Im using a recirculation kit already, nothing deferent happened.

I will try the idle now as EvolvedDSM said.

Try the EIDS Type K. It is suppose to fix all the
idle probs with the SSQV
Can you tell us what this think is?

EvoVIII
06-01-2004, 01:17 PM
that will be a electronic thing that fixes ur SSQV problem..

GReddy_917
06-01-2004, 01:39 PM
4605-RM001 ALL ; Vehicle Specific (contact an HKS Authorized Dealer for applications) Type K $135.00

(for those of you who are VTA) One could avoid having to buy an EIDS all together by simply buying the RIGHT valve the first time....the GFB :roll:

BluEvo
06-01-2004, 03:09 PM
(for those of you who are VTA) One could avoid having to buy an EIDS all together by simply buying the RIGHT valve the first time....the GFB :roll:
:werd:

tama_mog
06-01-2004, 03:38 PM
that's assuming you got the stock intake box and the stock intake pipe.

GReddy_917
06-01-2004, 06:04 PM
that's assuming you got the stock intake box and the stock intake pipe.

umm no.

EvoVIII
06-01-2004, 07:21 PM
4605-RM001 ALL ; Vehicle Specific (contact an HKS Authorized Dealer for applications) Type K $135.00

errr I like the look/sound/performance of my SSQV and I never stall, it works fine with me, I have try to switch from SSQV back to Stock, and I hated it, the car doesn't pull strong at all because with the SSQV whenever I switch gear it pulls me back to my seat(guess it hold boost better since my car is 22-23PSI) and sounds great.. so I put my SSQV back right away :D

tama_mog
06-01-2004, 07:45 PM
so greddy, theres someone that got the gfb to not stall the engine to the point of stallin or close and idles well with aftermarket intake/suction pipe? if so, that'd be nice, just haven't seen such a case.

Stelios
06-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Thanks to all of you, my problem solved...
I have my SSQV back on, at open air at it sounds great.

I solve the problem with the idle. Thanks to EvolvedDSM... and
to the other man who said that Evo's like the softer settings.

You guys solved me a major problem, i own you a favor.
Everything you need from Greece and from me you know me now.

It is difficult to tell you what happened @ the Greek forum when i told
them that the problem can be solved so simple..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stelios
06-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Errr I like the look/sound/performance of my SSQV and I never stall, it works fine with me,

The problem appears at the stock Evo. If you reprogram the ECU the
prob disappear.
Yours probably is at the non-stock category

EvoVIII
06-02-2004, 02:00 AM
wait.. so how did the problem solved?

evo_dadi
06-02-2004, 06:48 AM
he re-adjusted his idle so it wont dip too low whenever he stops.and evolveddsm posted a pic where to adjust it.

Stelios
06-03-2004, 04:50 AM
he re-adjusted his idle so it wont dip too low whenever he stops.and evolveddsm posted a pic where to adjust it.

I did exactly that!!!

EvoVIII
06-03-2004, 05:46 AM
oh did u turn clock or counter clock? how many turns?

Stelios
06-04-2004, 03:34 AM
i was looking the rpm while turning the screw.
I adjust it to 980 (when the engine is warmed up)