PDA

View Full Version : 5th gear grinding in High RPMs

WW_EVO9
10-14-2006, 10:36 PM
I have been noticing that my car is grinding when i shift from 4th to 5th gear on high RPMs(5500+) This happens all the time now. In low RPMs, its gone and i dont hear it.

Anyone one know what is wrong with my tranny? I just put in BGII snycroshift about 1000 miles ago.

Any similar problems to other EVO IXs out there?

KakimotoEVO
10-16-2006, 08:09 PM
I am afraid new tranny fluids won't help you. :( I had the same problem with my Evo VIII tranny and had to get it rebuilt.

MitsuMan
10-16-2006, 08:18 PM
yes sir you have worn your syncro's by shifting at high rpm with out giving the trany time for the gears to match speed. shure you'll shift fine a few times, until the sycros are tired.

So how many miles do you have? just wondering

jessmanEVO
11-23-2006, 01:20 AM
I've got the same problem with my car too. I have an 8 with 33xxx miles. so i have to get my tranny rebuilt? :( would that be covered under warranty? :lol:

-Jesse 8)

EV0LL
11-23-2006, 01:28 AM
I have been noticing that my car is grinding when i shift from 4th to 5th gear on high RPMs(5500+) This happens all the time now. In low RPMs, its gone and i dont hear it.

Anyone one know what is wrong with my tranny? I just put in BGII snycroshift about 1000 miles ago.

Any similar problems to other EVO IXs out there?

Do you have a MR or GSR? Kinda helps to know which transmission we are discussing here ;)

jessmanEVO
11-23-2006, 07:50 PM
well i have an 8 and would really like to know whats wrong? :(

EV0LL
11-23-2006, 08:07 PM

AGAIN, 5spd or 6spd transmission, that is the information needed here. No one can help you if you don't offer critical information. Help us help you. :? :?

BTW: This goes to the original poster, who sounds like hes asking about the 9s...?

jay206
11-23-2006, 08:10 PM
i have an 03 gsr 8, 5 speed, also have that problem, shifting fifth gear on high RPM or after 80 MPH, bothers me so much. so where can i get it rebuilt? im in Daly City

thankss

wrx2evo8
11-23-2006, 10:01 PM
i believe this happens to most '03's eventually.. it happened to mine right after the warranty expired.... i took it to the dealer and they told me that they would have fixed it.. but the warranty was expired.... yet another reason i sold the evo.. and yes.. it was fully disclosed that the car was grinding in 4th and 5th gear..

jaydm73
11-23-2006, 10:26 PM
how much we looking at for a tranny rebuilt

KakimotoEVO
11-25-2006, 01:30 AM
This is where I got mine done and I highly recommend it. Excellent service and turnaround time.
http://www.sheptrans.com/details.php?sid=11

You're looking at about $1000 with shipping. If they need to replace extra parts, it will cost more. They won't know until they open up your tranny.

The other one that is popular among the DSM/Evo crowd is TRE. Do a search here or Evom and you should be able to find lots of reviews of both.

earlyapex1
11-25-2006, 01:35 AM
TRE takes 15yrs and 42days.

KakimotoEVO
11-25-2006, 01:41 AM
TRE takes 15yrs and 42days.

:lol:

WW_EVO9
11-25-2006, 01:44 AM

AGAIN, 5spd or 6spd transmission, that is the information needed here. No one can help you if you don't offer critical information. Help us help you. :? :?

BTW: This goes to the original poster, who sounds like hes asking about the 9s...?

I have the 5spd GSR... possibly looks like i'm taking my tranny for warranty work... anyone can recommend me a dealership who can do good handy work?

Unowned
11-25-2006, 09:16 AM
i've had that problem since month 5. I have a 2005 5 spd. So far i'm just going to deal with it till i can get the TRE 15 year upgrade

Lurk
11-25-2006, 06:58 PM
I thought the 5spds were rock solid. Guess not...

MarkSAE
11-25-2006, 07:40 PM
This has been a problem since the 03s came out. There have been many TSBs released by Mitsu trying to resolve this issue. It seems like the TSBs help, but don't resolve the problem completely. My fix is to raise my redline so I don't have to up-shift into 5th at the track. ;)

WW_EVO9
11-26-2006, 12:51 AM
It's good to know its a common issue, why won't Mitsu recall these transmissions?

MarkSAE
11-26-2006, 12:12 PM
This problem isn't big enough to warrant a recall. Since there are TSBs out, if you have this problem during your warranty period, Mitsu should cover your repairs.

AreSTG
11-27-2006, 08:20 PM
so what is the difference between a tranny that grinds at low rpms(my car) vs. high rpms?

side note: Transmission is probably the componant of an automobile i know and understand the least about

MarkSAE
11-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Grinding at high rpm will cause more damage between the gear and sleeve because they'll be grinding while spinning faster.

AreSTG
11-27-2006, 09:26 PM
i mean, what is causing it to grind only at low rpm, or only high

MarkSAE
11-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Worn synchros usually grind at high rpm and not low rpm. If the teeth on the synchros are worn, it won't do a good job aligning the teeth of the gear and the sleeve and you'd get a grind.

If you're grinding at low rpm and not high rpm, it could be a clutch engagement issue. You should try to bleed your clutch line and adjust the clutch pedal to see if the symptoms go away.

AreSTG
11-27-2006, 10:06 PM
adjusted the pedal and all it did was change where it engaged, but it still sporadically grinds 2nd in low speed. The colder it is, the worse, i think maybe a burr on a tooth somewhere. As i try to engage it, it will kind of hold me out of 2nd, then push me farther out for and instant, then immeadiatly after is slides in usually with some noise.

also though, it doesn't happen everytime

MarkSAE
11-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Is the shifting just notchy or are you getting a crunch? Our 2nd gears have 3 synchros, so it's normal to feel a bit notchy. The sleeve needs to slide over 3 synchros before it engages the gear. Mine is notchy, but never grinds. And it does feel smoother at high rpm than low rpm.

AreSTG
11-28-2006, 03:28 AM
Is the shifting just notchy or are you getting a crunch? Our 2nd gears have 3 synchros, so it's normal to feel a bit notchy. The sleeve needs to slide over 3 synchros before it engages the gear. Mine is notchy, but never grinds. And it does feel smoother at high rpm than low rpm.

it feels completely diferent from all other smooth gears. To add to your speculation, 2nd has been odd since the car was new, but in TX(not cold) i could not get it to act up in front of them.

There is a definate noise when it acts up, sometimes it goes in fine and makes no noise, if i better knew what you meant by notchy i'd be more help :/ it more or less lets me half in gear than pushes me back out before making a noise and letting me in. At high rpms its smooth as butter, like all the gears

MarkSAE
11-28-2006, 09:52 AM
By notchy I mean not going into gear smoothly. Mine still goes in, but hits a few kinks along the way.

When I switched from Redline (2:1 MT90:MTL) to Pennzoil Synchromesh, there was a really noticeable difference in smoothness. It helped a lot. If you're not grinding at high rpm, there's most likely nothing wrong w/ your synchros.

jessmanEVO
11-29-2006, 01:15 AM
got a 5 spd. it'll grind at high AND low RPMs. i should just bring it in since its under warranty :lol: