PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy lugs?

Evo442
10-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Geez - anyone know where I can get some chrome/steel, close ended acorn style lug nuts in a 12x1.5mm thread with 17mm hex? Need a few spares. Didn't think it would be hard to find, but went to six different places in sacramento yesterday and couldn't find 'em!

gorilla makes them but wont sell to non-distributors.

I want 17mm, since the 19mm socket on my impact wrench wont fit in the holes of my 5zigen wheels...

SpeedElement
10-15-2006, 04:24 PM
contact subydude www.subydude.com they have lugs for evos.

MarkSAE
10-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Wouldn't you want to use 19mm lug nuts vs. 17mm? They're stronger since they have more material. Since you can get away w/ using a non-impact 19mm socket on them w/ the 5-zigen wheels, why not use them? I'd rather break a socket than break a lug nut.

Matz
10-15-2006, 08:51 PM
I'd rather break a socket than break a lug nut.

Unless it's a special socket, as I found out the hard way. He mentioned Gorilla so I think he may want something like the Mutekis that many of us have.

You can get Gorilla lugs from America's Tire Company. You can get Mutekis locally from Motorsport Techniques. Or you can go with cheap and ugly lug nuts like mine and buy them from any tire shop. I picked mine up from Wheel Works.

MarkSAE
10-15-2006, 10:51 PM
David has the FN01R-C's from what I remember seeing at the track.* I use regular hex 19mm lug nuts and a regular 6-pt 19mm deep socket.* No special, hard to order, long lead time parts and tools needed.

What I meant when I said I'd rather break a socket versus a lug nut was that I'd rather break a socket while trying to work on my car instead of the lug nut breaking while my car is moving.* Safety should always come first.

Matz
10-16-2006, 04:34 AM
What I meant when I said I'd rather break a socket versus a lug nut was that I'd rather break a socket while trying to work on my car instead of the lug nut breaking while my car is moving. Safety should always come first.

Definitely, I agree with you there! So you use regular, ugly, plain-jane lug nuts like me? I kind of want to put the new set of Mutekis on because the current ones look horrible.

5Zigen makes a set of open and closed lug nuts as well. They are light as heck; I checked them out at Motorsport Techniques and was amazed. The closed ones look nicer because they aren't so long -- the open ended ones are over 2" long, I think. What I like about them is that there is a ton of material, and the socket to remove them is a standard 19mm with a feature cut of out it. So if you lose the socket, you can easily make a new one, but it still provides some (small) level of theft deterrence.

vtluu
10-16-2006, 07:39 AM
I may have just what you're looking for:

http://vitalmotorsports.com/misc/lugnuts.jpg

(Plus one spare lug nut not shown.)

Discount Tire Direct included them with my 5zigen wheels. Socket size is 17mm. Never used. Includes deep adapter socket. $25 sound like a fair price?

Evo442
10-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I may have just what you're looking for:

http://vitalmotorsports.com/misc/lugnuts.jpg

(Plus one spare lug nut not shown.)

Discount Tire Direct included them with my 5zigen wheels. Socket size is 17mm. Never used. Includes deep adapter socket. $25 sound like a fair price?

Actually, thats probably exactly what I want since that looks like exactly what came with my wheels. Sold! You have pm.

Evo442
10-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.