PDA

View Full Version : New for 2005 US Evos including the MR.

DB8GSR
06-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Here it is guys!! Specifically tells you what changes are made on all the models. All Evos will now be equipped with ACD but the HID is standard on the MR which is optional to the regular Evo. :o

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/detail?mid=MIT2004060254184&mime=ASC

:D 8)

vtluu
06-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Thanks, great info!

Hmm, no AYC (Active Yaw Control)?

I wonder how difficult it would be retrofit stuff like ACD onto an 03/04 model...

SouthernCrane
06-03-2004, 09:54 AM
I wonder how much the new MR will be.

nebolic
06-03-2004, 09:58 AM
well i read somewhere that the 04 models with sunroof etc msrp's for ~33K so assuming the MR is the top of the line there should be at least a 3 grand difference plus it should be a limited run production so markup for sure. I'm guessing we should see the MR for around $39k to $40k + tax and license, i think it'll be under $40k for sure cause luxury tax hits at $40k? or it might be $50K, but it luxury tax is at $40k, they will keep it under $40k for the MR.

:) my guess.

Nebo

ez76
06-03-2004, 10:51 AM
I am curious if anyone who has driven ACD/AYC-equipped Evos (maybe abroad) could compare the handling - is it any less "natural" feeling?

nebolic
06-03-2004, 11:01 AM
i think that for daily driving you won't be able to feel it. Most likely if you auto cross you'd feel the difference. But that's just speculation. :) Someone who's driven both care to share?

Nebo

wilson1
06-03-2004, 11:12 AM
What's the difference between the ACD and AYC?

JanSolo
06-03-2004, 11:17 AM
ACD = Active center differential. This moves power from front to back.

AYC = Active yaw control. This moves power from side to side.

wilson1
06-03-2004, 11:25 AM

Does the Sti have any of these systems?

SouthernCrane
06-03-2004, 11:28 AM

DCCD is subarus answer for ACD. They are similar, but different. Subaru still use LSDs in the front and rear on their production STis though, at least as far as i know.

EvoVIII
06-03-2004, 12:35 PM
ACD = a little wheel spin/little burnout in the rear if you hammer it on the stright

EvoVIII
06-03-2004, 12:39 PM
oh, so does anyone know if it is possible to fit the Front helical limited slip differential and the ACD into our Evo's? I really don't think I will trade mine in

wilson1
06-03-2004, 12:49 PM

DCCD is subarus answer for ACD. They are similar, but different. Subaru still use LSDs in the front and rear on their production STis though, at least as far as i know.

Why is the STi handling not quite up to our evos if the technology is similar?
Has anyone driven both the evo and Sti noticed a distinct difference btween the two?

vtluu
06-03-2004, 12:54 PM
I've autocrossed an STi and my first impression was a lot more torque on the low end. My second impression was the different gearing where I reached the 1st-to-2nd shift point a bit earlier than I expected. The steering response didn't feel quite as crisp--I'm not sure how else to describe it--and the suspension felt a tad softer.

chrisw probably knows best as he drove an STi for a few months before getting his Evo.

EvoVIII
06-03-2004, 12:56 PM
coz STI suspension are way softer then the Evo, it feels like a Camry after you drive the Evo, and the steering responseonce are slower then us which means response are not as fast, if they lower it thats a different story

SouthernCrane
06-03-2004, 12:59 PM
oh, so does anyone know if it is possible to fit the Front helical limited slip differential and the ACD into our Evo's? I really don't think I will trade mine in

I'm sure it's possible, but I think it would be pretty expensive. You have to buy the diffs, then a new ECU to work with the ACD, and have everything installed. The installation might not be straight forward either. If you really want the ACD and helical, i would suggest you buy the MR and just take the hit. At least then you will have a warranty for it (might not be worth much though).

DB8GSR
06-03-2004, 01:03 PM
A simplified description between this two.

ACD maintains the 50/50 front/rear drive split for improved acceleration and stability on varied surfaces or when cornering.

AYC compensates for differences in power delivery between the rear wheels to control yaw through bends.

A much indepth description between this two:

The Active Center Differential incorporates an electronically controlled hydraulic multi-plate clutch. An ECU optimizes clutch cover clamp load for different driving conditions, regulating the differential limiting action between free (where torque is split equally between front and rear wheels) to locked states. The result is improved steering response together with better traction. ACD operation switches automatically between three modes - Tarmac / Gravel / Snow - to realize quicker control response for changes in road surface. A single ECU provides integrated management of both ACD and Super AYC components.

The Active Yaw Control system uses a torque-transfer mechanism in the rear differential. Under ECU control, the system operates to raise cornering performance by transferring torque between the rear wheels as dictated by driving conditions and so control the yaw moment acting on the car body. With Super AYC, the use of a bevel- instead of a planetary-gear differential enables the transfer of almost twice as much the torque between the rear wheels. As well as reducing understeer further, Super AYC acts like a limited slip differential to extend cornering limits. The use of a single ECU to integrally manage Super AYC with the ACD produces a synergism that makes both components operate more effectively than if they were under independent control.

vtluu
06-03-2004, 01:07 PM
I think I read on EvoM that the RS front LSD can go straight into the base model '03 Evo without any problems... though most people will probably opt for an aftermarket one from Quaife which is probably both cheaper and better. (Most likely, only autocrossers running in STU class will want the Mitsubishi unit in order to exploit the update/backdate rules.)

ACD sounds like a lot more work; notice the web page said that the intercooler spray had been removed to make room for the ACD unit... so there is a trade-off.

I'm curious as to where the +5hp and +13 lb-ft of torque comes from; is it just an ECU tweak? Will an '05 ECU work in an '03 car?

DB8GSR
06-03-2004, 01:13 PM
I'm curious as to where the +5hp and +13 lb-ft of torque comes from; is it just an ECU tweak? Will an '05 ECU work in an '03 car?

It's from the turbo.

+5 hp increase / +13 lb-ft increase, due to larger diameter turbo nozzle (9.8 -->10.5) and new waste gate shape (oval --> circle) for improved boost response

See, it sucks to see this because the 10.5T diameter was used on the Evos V, VI and VI TME!!! :evil: We should've gotten this from the first place.

nebolic
06-03-2004, 01:14 PM
I think I read on EvoM that the RS front LSD can go straight into the base model '03 Evo without any problems... though most people will probably opt for an aftermarket one from Quaife which is probably both cheaper and better. (Most likely, only autocrossers running in STU class will want the Mitsubishi unit in order to exploit the update/backdate rules.)

ACD sounds like a lot more work; notice the web page said that the intercooler spray had been removed to make room for the ACD unit... so there is a trade-off.

Turbo Upgrade +5 hp increase / +13 lb-ft increase, due to larger diameter turbo nozzle (9.8 -->10.5) and new waste gate shape (oval --> circle) for improved boost response

Also I read somewhere on the unofficial report on EvoM that the MR is getting the titatinum turbo? Not sure if thats true. but under the list of materials etc... thats what I read.

Nebo

ob4
06-03-2004, 01:57 PM
I am very excited about the light weight doors and roof... that might be enough to drop the RS model w/o AC to below 3000lb.... that's going to be a monster on the track. Lighter weight gives better braking, acceleration, and transient response. I was thinking about an Elise for 05... the RS sounds very attractive now.

-ob4

wilson1
06-03-2004, 02:33 PM
I am very excited about the light weight doors and roof... that might be enough to drop the RS model w/o AC to below 3000lb.... that's going to be a monster on the track. Lighter weight gives better braking, acceleration, and transient response. I was thinking about an Elise for 05... the RS sounds very attractive now.

-ob4

ob4,

Is there a waiting list for the elise?

chris
06-03-2004, 02:47 PM
damn it! lol =X

vtluu
06-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Is there a waiting list for the elise?
My friend Jason (the one with the M3) ordered one a couple weeks ago, and is expecting delivery around Dec-Jan. He's paying MSRP.