PDA

View Full Version : HFC legalities anyone know ?

BOOSTX2
10-27-2006, 01:10 AM
Hello I was curious does anyone know the OBDII laws? As I was reading that If you have 50k
on the odometer you can change the cat. :? I also read it does not have to be oem as long
as its a correct replacement unit. that article I can't remember what magazine. Said hi flo
units available for most cars..anyone know about this??any input would be great TIA.
Â* Im almost at that point mileage wise. :shock:

ReSin
10-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Never heard that before. I guess I should start driving my kaa more...only 36k left to go.

SilverStreak
10-29-2006, 12:04 AM
I've heard that before. Though I think it was 60k. There was some rumor that there is an emissions law that states that your stock cat cannot be replaced/removed/modified before the 60k mark (unless certain circumstances require it).

I would imagine that when the time comes for a replacement you must use oem equipment. Just like any other aftermarket part that affects emissions...I have to imagine it would be ok to use any aftermarket cat that comes certified with an E.O number (if such a product exists)

This is all heresay though.

SpinOne05
11-03-2006, 08:31 AM
I heard 80K and CARB E.O. # required but I'm not sure.

MitsuMan
11-03-2006, 09:41 AM
that law is only for exhaust shops and it relates to smog laws, not street laws. its 80k a cat can not be replaced under 80k because it falls under the emissions warranty for the manufacture. the law is there to make sure cats last a long time and reduce emissions. exhaust shops can't touch the cat if under 80k but you can do what ever you want. after the milage is up a shop can install an after market O.E.M. equivalent cat. (stock but not necessarily Factory replacement).
If a shop installs a HFC or NO cat or a non OBDII compliant cat then they are breaking the law and can be fined not you

YldEvoMr06
11-03-2006, 10:27 AM
VEHICLE CODE
Division 18 Penalties and Disposition of Fees, Fines, and Forfeitures
§ 42001.14. Punishment for disconnecting, modifying, or altering pollution control device; Allocation and use of fines
(a) Every person convicted of an infraction for the offense of disconnecting, modifying, or altering a required pollution control device in violation of Section 27156 shall be punished as follows: (1) For a first conviction, by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50), nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).
(2) For a second or subsequent conviction, by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100), nor more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250).

BOOSTX2
11-04-2006, 01:32 AM
Thank you for the input. :) :)

Limeyboy
11-08-2006, 12:42 PM
VEHICLE CODE
Division 18 Penalties and Disposition of Fees, Fines, and Forfeitures
� 42001.14. Punishment for disconnecting, modifying, or altering pollution control device; Allocation and use of fines
(a) Every person convicted of an infraction for the offense of disconnecting, modifying, or altering a required pollution control device in violation of Section 27156 shall be punished as follows: (1) For a first conviction, by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50), nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).
(2) For a second or subsequent conviction, by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100), nor more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250).

So correct me if I am wrong, but if i get caught with a test pipe on or a HFC on, my 'fine' is $50 to $100. Then if I keep the pipe on and get caught again, its a $250 fine?

So the worst that they can do is fine me is $100? Thats great, im going outside to saw off everything behind the downpipe.

wzcx
11-08-2006, 12:45 PM
So the worst that they can do is fine me is $100? Thats great, im going outside to saw off everything behind the downpipe.

ROFL.

Limeyboy
11-08-2006, 12:53 PM

ROFL.

You think I'm kidding? lol $50 to $100 is worth the extra WHP to me ;)

warpspeed
11-09-2006, 02:00 PM
This may be long but if you really want to know if HFC are legal....the answer is......yes they are legal. There are laws that states it is illegal to modify or replace a "working" catalytic converter. It all depends on the interpretation of the law. Yes it is illegal to modify a "working" stock catalytic but what's to say the stock one got damaged by running over something on the road and you had to replace it and a stock one cost 300% more than an aftermarket. That is why there are aftermarket products, so we are not stuck just buying stock parts and as far as I know, there is nothing in the books that say we have to buy a stock part if it was damaged but it does say to replace parts that meet or exceed E.O. standards and most aftermarket parts do. At the same time you didn't modify a working catalytic because it was damaged and therefore you are not breaking the law, you are replacing a "damaged" catalytic. The manufacturers of course doesn't cover damages that was brought upon any road hazards.
When it comes to the manufacturers warranty, yes there is a certain mileage that emission devices are suppose to last but when it comes to the catalytic, they are warrantied to a specific mileage on a STOCK engine. So if you modified anything on your engine, whether it be aftermarket filter or cams, dp etc., then the warranty is out the window if it ever fails.

Hopes this helps everyone. :D

AreSTG
12-11-2006, 03:55 PM
This may be long but if you really want to know if HFC are legal....the answer is......yes they are legal. There are laws that states it is illegal to modify or replace a "working" catalytic converter. It all depends on the interpretation of the law. Yes it is illegal to modify a "working" stock catalytic but what's to say the stock one got damaged by running over something on the road and you had to replace it and a stock one cost 300% more than an aftermarket. That is why there are aftermarket products, so we are not stuck just buying stock parts and as far as I know, there is nothing in the books that say we have to buy a stock part if it was damaged but it does say to replace parts that meet or exceed E.O. standards and most aftermarket parts do. At the same time you didn't modify a working catalytic because it was damaged and therefore you are not breaking the law, you are replacing a "damaged" catalytic. The manufacturers of course doesn't cover damages that was brought upon any road hazards.
When it comes to the manufacturers warranty, yes there is a certain mileage that emission devices are suppose to last but when it comes to the catalytic, they are warrantied to a specific mileage on a STOCK engine. So if you modified anything on your engine, whether it be aftermarket filter or cams, dp etc., then the warranty is out the window if it ever fails.

Hopes this helps everyone. :D

not questioning you, but can anyone else confirm this?

superman37r1
12-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Those damn rocks on those canyon roads, freakin knocked a hole in my catalyic converter and I had to replace it with a HFC...

= D