PDA

View Full Version : Noob ecuflash questions

Evo442
11-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Ok, bear with me - trying to get this ecuflash stuff straight in my head. I have the cable, evoscan and ecuflash on my laptop. I've been able to datalog and download/view my rom

The fuel table has 2 axis, rpms and "load". Load is just boost, correct?

I am planning on getting a zeitronix zt2. this will allow me to measure AFR, and boost. I can log this data into evoscan via the serial port, right?

then the next step would be doing some datalogging and adjusting my fuel table to achieve a nice, safe afr... right? (say 11.2 for 91 octane?)

earlyapex1
11-10-2006, 11:05 PM
The fuel table has 2 axis, rpms and "load". Load is just boost, correct?

The ECU computes load by a couple different things other than just boost. Evoscan can log calculated boost. The other way some people find out what load column they are in is to log the car and look at the timing (this is baring no knock that pulls timing) and then match it up to the load column, sometimes the timing can fall between load columns but it will still give you a general idea.

I am planning on getting a zeitronix zt2. this will allow me to measure AFR, and boost. I can log this data into evoscan via the serial port, right?

You can log AFR via evoscan but not boost. Serial port or USB to serial adapter.

then the next step would be doing some datalogging and adjusting my fuel table to achieve a nice, safe afr... right? (say 11.2 for 91 octane?)

I usually work on the fuel first, then the timing. I've found 11.5 or so to about 10.9 or 11 up top works well on 91 octane, although every car is different. Some like to be richer.

Matz
11-11-2006, 01:25 AM
Here's a thread that I started that shows what Bryan was talking about with the timing... keep in mind that I abandoned the idea of tuning myself because it took too darn long for me to do it, and was easier just to get the CB tune. However, you can totally do it, it just takes a little work, that's all.

http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,11133.0.html

Evo442
11-11-2006, 08:40 AM
earlyapex - thanks for the info. so how do YOU figure out what load column you are in?

matz - you are absolutely right - its faster, easier and cheaper to have someone else do it. I actually like my tune, and I would be silly to think that I could tune the car better than the tuner I paid to tune it. I do, however, enjoy doing things myself; I want to datalog my setup in a wide variety of situations to prove to myself that my particular tune is safe with the octane booster I use, and I want to be able to fine tune things if needed.

I also hate buying a new part and then have to drive all the way to SF to get reflashed...

kataklyzm
11-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Here's a thread that I started that shows what Bryan was talking about with the timing... keep in mind that I abandoned the idea of tuning myself because it took too darn long for me to do it, and was easier just to get the CB tune. However, you can totally do it, it just takes a little work, that's all.

wanna sell me your cable? =D

Matz
11-11-2006, 12:30 PM

wanna sell me your cable? =D

hehe.. no, I still want my cable, so I can do CB Tune E-flashes if necessary. ;)