PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler question

warpspeed
11-11-2006, 01:17 PM
I was just wondering if aftermarket intercooler are more durable than our stock ones. I have seen a few of our members intercoolers and some looks worse than mine (alot of bent fins). I have seen other cars with aftermarket ones like Greddy and seems like theirs are more stronger. My friends Supra has a front mount Greddy and drives it everyday and his looks brand new still. Right now I have a bug screen on mines since the weather is getting cold and I drive from Fairfield to Sac. and alot knows that I-80 stretch is bug central. Any inputs in this?

thanks

earlyapex1
11-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Yes, bar and plate designs are stronger than the stock tube and fin design.

Lurk
11-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Yeah the stock tube and fin design is pretty weak. Those fins will bend if you breathe too hard on em. I'm looking to upgrade my FMIC too, probably to an AMS one.

PANGES
11-30-2006, 11:27 AM
lol. Funny thing, my friend has a blitz fmic on his wrx and it looks horrible now. He's only had it for a few months too. I dunno if those are bar n plate or tube n fin though. But whatever it is, it's pretty weak.

MarkSAE
11-30-2006, 02:24 PM
It's most likely tube and fin. The greddy intercoolers I've seen are tube and fin. Spearcos are bar and plate and are super durable. I had them on both my DSMs for years and the fins always stayed in good shape. The spearco bar and plate intercooler fins don't stick out like our stock fins, which is probably why they're more durable.

Full Function
12-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Actually, there are three different cores from Greddy, one is tube/fin, the others are a bar/plate hybrid design that has stronger fins, but has a different bar design.

e.v.o.ate
12-08-2006, 03:39 PM
either one you chose it all comes down to how much you drive your car. all fmic's will show wear eventualy

redevil9mr
03-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Get a nisei comp. fmic, very very durable, biggest of the bunch, and also does a job chilling the charge air.