Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bald tires + fast turns = bad

Default Bald tires + fast turns = bad

I can think of a thousand reasons why I should never drive fast.

I took the on ramp from 85 north to 280 south and it happened. My drivers side tires which are infamously bald decided to give out and I ended up smashing through a tree and hitting a sound wall.

My Evo is totalled. The passenger side front wheel is completely bent, front end is destroyed and the intercooler is smashed to nothingness.

I took a ton of pics of my car, which I will post up once I resize and upload them to my web server. I don't think I will have a new Evo in time for the drive/dyno day I've organized.

I guess the purpose of this post is to remind all my fellow Evo owners to get their tires rotated and not drive like a dumb ass when your tires are shit. Not like it will do any good saying it, but I might as well make the effort.

Admittedly, I am a little traumatized when it comes to driving fast, so a break in period on a new car is probably what I need right now. That's it. Thanks for reading!

CRUNCH!

jan,

Are you Okay?
    Sorry to hear this,

Wilson

The wife and I are both okay. The tree absorbed most of the forward motion. That tree sacrified itself for our lives.

I just want to thank all the trees out and there and let them know that the death of their brother/sister whatever will not be in vain.

ouch!! :? Sorry to see this happen but I'm glad you guys are okay. :shock: Cars are replaceable btw!!

If you don't mind me asking, how fast were you going
    before it broke loose?

damn man, sorry to hear about your ride :-( so hopefully you're alright... btw where in cupertino r u at, i'm moved to sacramento but occasionaly i visit my parents in cupertino. also if you're interested in getting another EVO... theres a bunch up here in sac, they are selling them at MSRP... basically 30K OTD with sunroof and spoiler.. well if you're interested. Hope you recover soon (you and your car)
    EVO X
    WORKS P2 Flash 294WHP/299WTQ
    WORKS Drop in Filter
    WORKS GFB
    WORKS Rear Sway Bar
    HKS Legamax
    HKS IC Pipe
    KW Variant 3
    5Zigen ZR+520 18x9.5 265/35
    I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and i need them tonight. Youre lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, its like this. If i lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if i win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, thats more important.

I was maybe going 75mph, but I have taken that turn over and over at 90mph with no problems. Shit, I've taken it faster than that in my old 300zx TT which is way heavier and never had an issue. But, then again, I never did this on a somewhat wet road with bad tires. It was a bad idea on my part obviously, so now I'm gonna pay the price.

My friends want me to buy an STI, but I am gonna stick with the Evo. I want the handling and I've bought a decent amount of aftermarket parts for it.

vtluu Guest

D'OH!!!

I'm very sorry to hear about your car, but I'm glad to hear nobody was hurt. Cars can be easily repaired or replaced, lives less so.

Quote Originally Posted by JanSolo

My friends want me to buy an STI, but I am gonna stick with the Evo. I want the handling and I've a decent amount of aftermarket parts for it.
    Good choice!

vtluu Guest

Be sure to rescue all those aftermarket parts from your old Evo...

I rotate my tires after every other auto-x. And since I got a torque wrench for Christmas, now my lugs will be properly torqued as well.