Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highest/safe speed you can drop into 1st?

Default Re: Highest/safe speed you can drop into 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by steevo8
    Im wondering if the gsc 40/60 diff would help in a situation like this. As it would make it easier to slide it in?
    I think it depends on the EVO to some degree.Â* The '03 and '04 didn't have ACD which makes a difference.Â* The diffs in my EVO are all mechanical, so power is only distributed when the overall torque level changes between the front and rear and side to side.Â* exadurate the slipÂ* angles a little 8) and I keep torque split where I want it when going through a corner.

With the ACD, the torque split is determined by computer and can respond to conditions faster than the mechanical viscous coupling.
    Code:
    sub<br />b{[@b=(abs||No,bottle.”s”x!!++$_,of,beer),on,the,wall]}print<br />“@{+b},\n@b,\nTake one down, pass it around,\n@{+b}.\n”<br />for-pop||-99..-1

2. Default Re: Highest/safe speed you can drop into 1st?

Even if it were theoretically beneficial, I doubt I could make a smooth enough 2-to-1 heel-toe downshift to make it worthwhile.
    [size=10pt]Viet-Tam Luu (&quot;Tam&quot[/size]<br />Extreme Performance<br />43 S. Capitol Ave., San Jose - 408-923-6404

HaHa. Yea. I tried that on. A few occassions. I never got the hang of the heel-toe thing. Get the concept but performing is another thing for me. Props to those who can.

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh_evo
    HaHa. Yea. I tried that on. A few occassions. I never got the hang of the heel-toe thing. Get the concept but performing is another thing for me. Props to those who can.
    I think it's just one of those things you have to keep trying over and over again till you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by PANGES
    I think it's just one of those things you have to keep trying over and over again till you get it.
    My cousin had his brake or gas pedal (can't remember which) modified to make it easier to do.
    "60% of the time, it works every time" - Brian Fantana

Quote Originally Posted by Fa-Q
    My cousin had his brake or gas pedal (can't remember which) modified to make it easier to do.
    What'd he do to it? I used to have a 240sx and I remember people on the forums bending their pedals to make it easier. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa-Q
    What'd he do to it? I used to have a 240sx and I remember people on the forums bending their pedals to make it easier. lol.
    I don't know, i'll have to ask him when i see him. Although some of you probably know him, Kirk @ Works with the EvoIII and TME VI, if you see him just ask.

"60% of the time, it works every time" - Brian Fantana

Quote Originally Posted by steevo8
    ^ so does bogging and waiting for boost....... Hence your post.
    bogging and waiting for boost are completely separate issues. Im not bogging exiting a corner.

Just thought id ask... No evo's at any of the events ive been to so i pretty much have to pioneer it myself.
    <br />Aim-DontRevMe

9. Default Re: Highest/safe speed you can drop into 1st?

I can heel-toe just fine in other gears, the 2-1 downshift is such a big change in ratio that I can rarely blip the throttle hard enough to rev-match it correctly. Rolling gently to a stop light, maybe; diving hard into a corner, not so much...

In my 4 years and 100 or so autocrosses I've never found downshifting to 1st gear to be useful, nor have I ever seen Navid or any of the other really fast guys do it.
    [size=10pt]Viet-Tam Luu (&quot;Tam&quot[/size]<br />Extreme Performance<br />43 S. Capitol Ave., San Jose - 408-923-6404

Quote Originally Posted by tam@xperformance
    In my 4 years and 100 or so autocrosses I've never found downshifting to 1st gear to be useful, nor have I ever seen Navid or any of the other really fast guys do it.
    yeah, that's what it really comes down too. The really fast drivers can maintain the speed and momentum into the corner (I.E maintain proper braking technique) which prevents them from having to downshift.
    Code:
    sub<br />b{[@b=(abs||No,bottle.”s”x!!++$_,of,beer),on,the,wall]}print<br />“@{+b},\n@b,\nTake one down, pass it around,\n@{+b}.\n”<br />for-pop||-99..-1