Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highest/safe speed you can drop into 1st?

Default Highest/safe speed you can drop into 1st?

Im leaving time on the table between cones waiting for boost in 2nd.. How fast can i safely shift into 1st?

thanks
    alan
    <br />Aim-DontRevMe

Default Re: Highest/safe speed you can drop into 1st?

Pretty close to 30...but you won't have much left. I only down shift if I get below 2.5k on revs.

Dennis
    <br />SFR SCCA #96 XP...Got cones!<br />SPEED ELEMENT/ Draggin Anchor Racing

You really need to be at low revs in 2nd for it to be worth it to shift into first. Have you tried left foot braking while giving the throttle an occasional blip to keep the turbos spinning. Or my favorite, drift it through the turn, that'll keep the revs up.
    05 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR - 3&quot; TBE with Cat. Stock boost control system. 260whp / 260 lb-ft torque<br />92 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD

thats the way
    Winning isn&#039;t everything, it&#039;s the only thing.<br />

Quote Originally Posted by DontRevMe
    Im leaving time on the table between cones waiting for boost in 2nd.. How fast can i safely shift into 1st?

thanks
    alan
    It's not worth downshifting unless it's a really tight hairpin corner or if you have truely screwd the apex.

Remember that shifting will cost you about 3-5 tenths a second, more if you miss a shift.
    Code:
    sub<br />b{[@b=(abs||No,bottle.”s”x!!++$_,of,beer),on,the,wall]}print<br />“@{+b},\n@b,\nTake one down, pass it around,\n@{+b}.\n”<br />for-pop||-99..-1

In those lower gears I've noticed if you at about 2.5 and downshift you'll be at 3.5 (roughly) in the lower gear. To get into boost range in first from second you can be as high as about 5.75ish to as low as about 2.5ish. Speed wise, around 20 - 25 mph. But like they said up top, there isn't much gear left. The time it takes to downshift then upshift will hurt you more unless you stay in first throughout first half of turn, hit apex then floor it out, shift on the way to next turn then let off entering the next turn and then downshift and repeat.

I think that made sense. =oT

Im wondering if the gsc 40/60 diff would help in a situation like this. As it would make it easier to slide it in?
    Eat me

from my experience, and its limited... tire spin = time
    <br />Aim-DontRevMe

^ so does bogging and waiting for boost....... Hence your post.
    Eat me

+1

Tire spin does lose time cuz you not going at speed you want er could be going, but if you could maintain a higher drift speed than when slowing to approach turn at a good speed then you should test both methods taking both into consideration w/ your skill