Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boost leak test - bloody throttle seals

Default Re: Boost leak test - bloody throttle seals

Are other parts req. other than the t-body shaft seals?T-body gasket? Or do you
    reuse the old T-body gasket?

the T-body gaskets are cheap. I never reuse gaskets if possible.
    Code:
    sub<br />b{[@b=(abs||No,bottle.”s”x!!++$_,of,beer),on,the,wall]}print<br />“@{+b},\n@b,\nTake one down, pass it around,\n@{+b}.\n”<br />for-pop||-99..-1

It is a good idea to pressurize the whole system as i've seen leaks from the throttle body, injector rings, intake manifold gasket, vac lines off the intake manifold, etc.

Hook up the pressure tester to the turbo compressor housing and test in increments of 5psi, usually if it's leaking, you will find it by 15psi or so. It's also a good idea to open the TB plate while testing as this will be a true test of the system as you don't make boost driving the car with the TB plate closed.

hmmm... now i think i have the same problem. im gonna order the Works seals and see how it goes.

Just a follow up - i took two hours on Saturday to change the seals for the works ones. Oliver sent me down the seals and a new gasket, so I got to work.

First thing in the write up from WORKS and on EvoM is "remove the strut tower brace"

I didn't really follow this step as I felt it un-necessary. If you remove the battery and the LICP and use the correct tools, the brace is not in the way No way im going to try to crack them bolts if i dont need to.

I would rate this job a 2 or 3 out of 10 on the difficulty scale, and I can definitely feel an improvement in the car. Old seals were leaking from 1psi with throttle closed or open. Leak was at a guesstimate 1psi/sec at close throttle, and about 2 or 3 PSI @ WOT.

P.S. for those that cant find it, manual calls for 14fl/lbs +/- 2 on the 4 throttle body bolts.

P.P.S you may find it easier to unclip the rear coolant hose from the throttle body once you have disconnected the body from the manifold. Rotate 90o or so. Just be aware coolant will leak if you hold it too low.

P.P.P.S : The WORKS writeup that came with the seals said when removing the TPS from the TB, you should mark the screws. Im personally more for doing what is set out in the EvoM write up - using a sharpie to mark the exact position of the TPS relative to the TB by marking across the TB to the TPS. Made it easy as pie for me to put back together.

Bye Bye NCe

Thanks for all the info.. I'm going to change the seals as well..

Good luck Garry! Drop me a line if you need any help.
    Bye Bye NCe

Quote Originally Posted by Limeyboy
    Leak was at a guesstimate 1psi/sec at close throttle, and about 2 or 3 PSI @ WOT.

Damn that's a serious leak!

Quote Originally Posted by Limeyboy
    Good luck Garry! Drop me a line if you need any help.
    Thank you Simon all keep that in mind..

Quote Originally Posted by bryan@GST

Damn that's a serious leak!
    Indeed. When I pulled the rings out the rubber was mostly gone, just the metal ring itself with some hardened rubber stuck round the edges. No wonder it leaked like a nypho's undercarriage.
    Bye Bye NCe