Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Timer? Alarm?

Default Turbo Timer? Alarm?

I just picked up the car yesterday, but I heard that you have to let the car cool off a bit before shutting it down due to the turbo heating up. Without the turbo timer, am I supposed to sit there for a few minutes before I actually shut off the car? Also, is there an alarm that has this as a feature?

If not, what alarm system and turbo timer should I go with?
    Hi, my name is Charlie.
    2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX GSR.

Default Re: Turbo Timer? Alarm?

It's basically so the oil doesn't cool off and run into some pipes. It's mostly if you run hard. I dun have a turbo timer but i'm usually shifting @ 3k in town anyways and I've never had problems w/ this. I'm at 60k. But yea, on them hard days, I'll sit in there for like a whole minute er two.

As far as I know, tt's are pretty much the same. Only difference would be styling and a few extra functions. I also d/k of an alarm that does this. But that's coming from my limited knowledge.

there are a bunch of alarms that do have tt included i think viper, clifford, and auto page

Wow your past line up of cars is almost like mine.. Went from a 99 prelude to a 91 Mr2 to the Evo.

Welcome to the board!

compustar makes one and is designed to work with manual transmissions.

the turbo is water and oil cooled, theres really no need for a turbo timer unless you want to be cool
    perhaps if you have a dry bearing (oil only) turbo its beneficial, but by the time you do your last hard pull to the time you get to the parking lot (assuming your not going WOT there as well), it would have cooled enough to not have it turbo timed.

LOL @ kids who move from one parking lot to another with their oil/water cooled turbo and time it for 1min.

turbo timer is useful for summer and winter, to warm up the car while warming or cooling the interior. or perhaps at the track. where you stop right away and get out after a run (no one wants to wait in the car with helmet and gear)

the alarms with built in turbo timers are nice, but the minimum setting is 1minute! way too much, if my beater i got has been running no turbo timer for 120k+ miles and turbo is still in great shape, i don't see how it would be any difference on the EVO. But yes I still do have one for the mentioned above, to be cool and to use to warm up car in the morning, or have the a/c run until its cool during hot weather.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

If the turbo cools down that quickly, then most likely I wouldn't get a turbo timer just for show. On the contrary, I have noticed that there are heat waves that comes out from the hood vents after I turn the car off. I take it that it's perfectly fine?
    Hi, my name is Charlie.
    2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX GSR.

Yea, despite all that I said, I still do own one. well I own one for a factory oil/cooled turbo, and another for just an oil cooled. But these things are so cheap, and it serves as other functions, I don't really care about what people say (like myself) lol, hypocrite I know. The idfference is, I don't go around timing it down for 5mins on my water/oil cooled turbo after driving on the freeway, like--you'd be surprised--a handful of people do. =x

well... lets say you do decide to get an alarm. which i would assume you would want just to sleep at nite. here are a few things i learned

Clifford makes an alarm thats has decent options. you get the usuals doors sensors led two key fobs ect. better models will have a paging sys. remote start, turbo timer. and other custom feat. if you decide to go to an alarm with the timer feature you need...

1 purchase the alarm with the auto start feature, the start feat. is required to use the timer opt. regular alarms dont have a timer option(at least to my knowledge)

2 you'll need to cut the head of the key or use the whole key because the key contains a transponder for the ECU to start the car

3 the timer option dosent

well... lets say you do decide to get an alarm. which i would assume you would want just to sleep at nite. here are a few things i learned

Clifford makes an alarm thats has decent options. you get the usuals doors sensors led two key fobs ect. better models will have a paging sys. remote start, turbo timer. and other custom feat. if you decide to go to an alarm with the timer feature you need...

1 purchase the alarm with the auto start feature, the start feat. is required to use the timer opt. regular alarms dont have a timer option(at least to my knowledge)

2 you'll need to cut the head of the key or use the whole key because the key contains a transponder for the ECU to start the car

3 the timer option doesn't kick in automatically you have to press two buttons to activate the timer b-4 you turn off the car. (though i'm sure you can program the fob to use one button)

4 finally to purchase an alarm with all the options you need and the headache IMO to use the timer you might be better of just purchasing a quality alarm and buy a aftermarket timer separately 8) the bad thing going that route is that while the car is timing down you might not be able to arm the alarm ( i just lock the doors b-4 i walk away or have a smoke while i wait) i tried passive arming but it wont recognize that you left your car until it turns off....

sorry for the double post and the long read... hope it was helpfull