Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: finally got the hks evo 9 cams in and car tuned

Default Re: finally got the hks evo 9 cams in and car tuned

the internet said so

Quote Originally Posted by RSV
    I thought cams on the IX's gain about 10-15whp simply by dropping them in without a tune?

300hp doesn't seem like a good return for the money spent.
    If they do, then he did. He had 285whp before the cams. Now he has 300whp.

300whp in 90 degree weather on a Bay Area dyno is great if you ask me. It's not always about peak but how much power in the curve.

Everyones too obsessed about peak..

Screw this dyno nonsense. Let's see some before and after quarter mile times! and compare it to another 9 without cams.
    VROOOOOOOOM, PSSHH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bryan@GST
    Quote Originally Posted by RSV
    I thought cams on the IX's gain about 10-15whp simply by dropping them in without a tune?

300hp doesn't seem like a good return for the money spent.
    If they do, then he did. He had 285whp before the cams. Now he has 300whp.
    okay i think im not reading this post correctly. the 300whp number he provided was only for the cams alone? meaning this number has nothing to do with the rest of his mods.

I agree that cams should give you somewhere around the 10-15-maybe 20 more ponies which would mean that the goal for the cams is pretty much met i would assume, but what about the rest of the mods. although the exhaust, air filter, fuel pump, injectors, boost controller(dont know if he has it because i dont think i read this anywhere in the post so im just assuming he did) dont give an enormous amount of gains with pump gas, shouldnt they at least allow you to break say 320 or maybe more?

Im just throwing my 2 senses in there. Maybe Im right or maybe I dont know what the hell I'm talking about but thats I'm getting so far from the post. Please clarify if this power gain is only from the cams alone, or if the results involve all of the other bolt on mods and so on. Thank you.

285 was with all his other mods. 300 was with the cams and injectors.

Not all 9's are created equal. Some do 280 with TBE/drop-in/fuel pump/boost control. Some do 290, some do 295, some do 300, some do 310.

Not sure where u are getting 320 from. The highest whp on 91 oct with cams Evo 9 that I have tuned has done 312whp/313wtq. This was with a HFC. Would probably do more with a test pipe. The lowest Evo 9 that I have tuned with cams was 295whp.

On 9's. I have not seen big gains from cams like the 8's have shown. 8's basically make 15-20whp from just dropping 272/272 cams in. 9's you have to really work for the gains from cams. Some 9's make more gains from cams than others. The gains are usually mainly in the peak and midrange torque department.

The 9's show more gains from cams once you get more octane in the car or have more flow mods. With just a TBE and supporting mods you will not see huge gains, some actually barely have gains at all.

i guess i dont know what im talking about. back to the books on my end.

Thanks for clarifying the situation Bryan.

The EVO9 camshaft stock is really made well.Â* This makes sense given that with tuning alone you can pick up massive gains, and because the stock cam is made well, this gives aftermarket cam companies an uphill battle for improving performance.

Also like I said before to get 300 whp on every car is not easy or even possible every single time.Â* This benchmark is a benchmark for a reason.Â* When I first joined this board in 04' getting 275-280 whp was already very respectable.Â* Since that time, we've all learned a lot more about tuning and the 300 whp mark is crossed a lot more than it has before, but the fact remains 300 whp isn't as standard as some people think.

If your car can't reach 300 whp with simple mods, does that mean it is a lost cause? Of course not, that just means it needs more work, if 300 whp is what you want.

Thanks for the Memories!
    First West Coast EVO9 in the 10's Sean G.
    First West Coast EVO9 in the 11's stock turbo Sean G.
    First West Coast EVO9 in the 11's stock turbo pump gas Sean G.
    BOTI Sac Raceway 07' ST/AWD Top Elim Andy C.
    SCCA SF XP Champ 08' Dennis H.
    Redline TA 08' Cali Speedway 1:47.793 Modified Runner Up Andre H.
    Super Street Time Attack 08' Buttonwillow #13 1:53.229 Modified Runner Up Andre H.
    Super Street Time Attack 07' Buttonwillow #13 1:55.563 Modified Runner Up Andre H.

300hp is like a stick of gum, flavorful in the begining but quickly loses its taste

it gets more exciting when you turn the wheel.
    Thanks for the Memories!
    First West Coast EVO9 in the 10's Sean G.
    First West Coast EVO9 in the 11's stock turbo Sean G.
    First West Coast EVO9 in the 11's stock turbo pump gas Sean G.
    BOTI Sac Raceway 07' ST/AWD Top Elim Andy C.
    SCCA SF XP Champ 08' Dennis H.
    Redline TA 08' Cali Speedway 1:47.793 Modified Runner Up Andre H.
    Super Street Time Attack 08' Buttonwillow #13 1:53.229 Modified Runner Up Andre H.
    Super Street Time Attack 07' Buttonwillow #13 1:55.563 Modified Runner Up Andre H.