Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alignment question

Default alignment question

I have cusco camber plates and works springs. I took my IX in for an alignment and wanted them to set the camber at -1.5 and make a mark on the plates, and then set it to specs and make mark that as well. That way I can adjust it if I ever want negative camber and know exactly where it's at, then I can put it back to zero for daily driving.

The tech told me that when the time comes that I adjust it to the -1.5 mark and then put it back, it will mess up other adjustments (toe, etc) and I will no longer have a true alignment. Is this true?

Eu sou um tubarão, o chão é o meu oceano.

Default Re: alignment question

yes that's true. if you're not making huge adjustments like going to -3 to -1.5, then it wont mess it up that much. but adjusting camber will adjust everything else. varies on the degree of adjustment.

nebo
    EVO X
    WORKS P2 Flash 294WHP/299WTQ
    WORKS Drop in Filter
    WORKS GFB
    WORKS Rear Sway Bar
    HKS Legamax
    HKS IC Pipe
    KW Variant 3
    5Zigen ZR+520 18x9.5 265/35
    I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and i need them tonight. Youre lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, its like this. If i lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if i win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, thats more important.

this is 100% true.. Any camber adjustment will completely jack your toe up. You can run -2 with very little to no camber wear if you stay on top of your pressures and rotations. I ran it on my last car and never noticed unusual wear after 12k miles..
    Eat me

thanks guys.

so if I move the plates down to the negative notch, everything else will be altered. how about when I put it back? will all the other settings go back to the original settings as well or will they stay out of whack?

it will stay out of whack. how do i put it, think of it as after you adjust the alignment toe can go one way easier so if you move it down it can go down easy but if you try to move it up, there's resistance and it won't move up that easily so it won't go back to its original position. hope that makes sense.

nebo
    EVO X
    WORKS P2 Flash 294WHP/299WTQ
    WORKS Drop in Filter
    WORKS GFB
    WORKS Rear Sway Bar
    HKS Legamax
    HKS IC Pipe
    KW Variant 3
    5Zigen ZR+520 18x9.5 265/35
    I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and i need them tonight. Youre lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, its like this. If i lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if i win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, thats more important.

gotcha. thanks for the help!!

ok, here's ANOTHER question.......i'm

after more carefully inspecting the camber plates and struts, i come to notice the the driver side camber adjusting bolt (top one of the two) is not matching the passenger side. the arrow is pointing straight up instead of horizontally inward, like i thought it should be. passenger side is normal.

this resulted in the driver side camber plate having to be adjusted ALL THE WAY towards the outside. the passenger is sitting right about where i think it should be, adjusted slightly but closer to the center of the adjustment range.

how is this going to affect the suspension travel/handling? obviously, the geometry is off, but how bad of a difference will this make?

Quote Originally Posted by evil-ution
    ok, here's ANOTHER question.......i'm

after more carefully inspecting the camber plates and struts, i come to notice the the driver side camber adjusting bolt (top one of the two) is not matching the passenger side. the arrow is pointing straight up instead of horizontally inward, like i thought it should be. passenger side is normal.

this resulted in the driver side camber plate having to be adjusted ALL THE WAY towards the outside. the passenger is sitting right about where i think it should be, adjusted slightly but closer to the center of the adjustment range.

how is this going to affect the suspension travel/handling? obviously, the geometry is off, but how bad of a difference will this make?
    I cant see it affecting handling at all. Both my drivers side and pass. side are dialed in at the same camber, yet my camber plates look like yours (one adjusted all the way in, the other only half way). All that matters is the actual camber your car is set to. just ask for a print out of the specs.

i got the printout and everything was dialed in nicely to specs, i was just curious about them not being even. thanks chuck!

Quote Originally Posted by evil-ution
    i got the printout and everything was dialed in nicely to specs, i was just curious about them not being even. thanks chuck!
    Yeah im no expert, but i asked my alignment guy why my plates wern't even and he basically said dont worry about a thing.