Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wheel fitment guide idea PICTURES ONLY

Default Re: wheel fitment guide idea PICTURES ONLY

Quote Originally Posted by bryan@GST
    Quote Originally Posted by ZK
    255/40R18 is way too large a tire for the Evo 8. That's the size people run on 17" rims! Your speedometer and wheel diameter will be off.

It might be but I can't count the times other evo owners have asked what size tires I have on the evo since they fill in and make it look really good. It's better than running some retarded "JDM" offset that sticks out further than the fender and you have to run rubber band tires.

255/40/18 Azenis RT-615
    I'm just going by OEM fitment and matching the diameter of the stock wheels. No JDM-ness for me as my car is 100% stock. :lol:
    Car Detailing Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ZK
    255/40R18 is way too large a tire for the Evo 8. That's the size people run on 17" rims! Your speedometer and wheel diameter will be off.

For 18x9, you're better off running a 245/40, 255/35 or 265/35. The 245/40 will give you a taller sidewall without changing the diameter much.

Might be but that can be benefical for evo owners too. I specifically went with 245/45/17s vs 245/40 for the taller sidewall because it a)makes the gearing a little taller (which is good thing for evo 9 owners) and helps a little in the ride quality dept w/out really hurting the performance at all.

The thing you do have to look out for is clearance issues tho..
    - Jason

94 Sentra
    03 Santa Cruz Blur
    06 Some Other Car

Have you seen my girlfriend?

3. Default Re: wheel fitment guide idea PICTURES ONLY

i had 255/40/18 Azenis on my evo before. i liked the "fill in" but it rubbed and i also had to cut my mudflaps in order to even use them.

+ now im running Toyo and they dont make them in 255/40/18.

ive been thinking about going back, but Azenis... iono, i like my Toyo's
    400whp/384tq - E85 - stock turbo
    334whp/317tq - 91oct - stock turbo

Sponsored by www.speedelement.com / www.rallyinnovations.com / www.bajadesigns.com / www.sportsracingfuel.com / www.gruppe-s.com / www.vexmotorsports.com / www.detailaddict.com
    Tuned by Bryan@GST Motorsports
    Proud supporter of www.gstmotorsports.com / www.xperformance.com

4. Default Re: wheel fitment guide idea PICTURES ONLY

pics **never rolled my fenders**

past to present

wheels: Enkei RC-T4 18x9 +35
    tires: Falken Azenis 255/40/18
    fenders: no rolling
    suspension: stock

wheels: Enkei RC-T4 18x9 +35
    tires:Toyo R1R 255/35/18
    suspension: Tanabe Pro Seven

wheels: Enkei RC-T4 18x9.5 +30
    tires:Toyo R1R 255/35/18
    suspension: Tanabe Pro Seven

Sponsored by www.speedelement.com / www.rallyinnovations.com / www.bajadesigns.com / www.sportsracingfuel.com / www.gruppe-s.com / www.vexmotorsports.com / www.detailaddict.com

i didnt want to f' with my wheel openings by rolling em, so i was quite modest with the offset. im sitting on 18X8.5 +33 offset with re01r's in 245/40/18 on s-techs. i do have some rubbing issues in hard cornering in the front wheel well lining, and will most likely go to a 255/35/18 next round to hopefully eliminate that.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

After seeing MtsEVOIX post, showing pictures of 255/40/18 vs 255/35/18, I like the look of 255/40/18 better. Also, based his information on stock suspension and height, 18x9 with +35 offset with 255/40/18 have no rub. I think I can take a risk on having 255/40/18 on my 18x9 +30, since if +35 don't rub on the stock strut tower, +30 shouldn't since it stick out 5mm more (correct me if I am wrong, I always get confused when I talked about offset).

Yes, I might have to worry about front fender rubbing since it sticks out more but after talking to Bryan at GST, who has 18x9 with +30 and 255/40/18 on (but he does not have stock suspension), he said he has no front fender rubbing on hard cornering. Only have problem with full lock turning.

I don't do hard corning too often (or at all, since I don't go to the track any more) and most of the time my EVO won't make the U turn on one steer anyway, so I got no problem with rubbing at full lock.

As far as the speedo concerns, that's fine with me, too. My DSM is like that, too.

Thank for all the information, you guys are so helpful.

*P.S. - If anyone has a used or ready to dump 255/40/18 laying around, I am more than happy to pick up one for test fit.

03 EVO
    <br />90 GSX

7. Default Re: wheel fitment guide idea PICTURES ONLY

Quote Originally Posted by fmic20g
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

After seeing MtsEVOIX post, showing pictures of 255/40/18 vs 255/35/18, I like the look of 255/40/18 better. Also, based his information on stock suspension and height, 18x9 with +35 offset with 255/40/18 have no rub. I think I can take a risk on having 255/40/18 on my 18x9 +30, since if +35 don't rub on the stock strut tower, +30 shouldn't since it stick out 5mm more (correct me if I am wrong, I always get confused when I talked about offset).

Yes, I might have to worry about front fender rubbing since it sticks out more but after talking to Bryan at GST, who has 18x9 with +30 and 255/40/18 on (but he does not have stock suspension), he said he has no front fender rubbing on hard cornering. Only have problem with full lock turning.

I don't do hard corning too often (or at all, since I don't go to the track any more) and most of the time my EVO won't make the U turn on one steer anyway, so I got no problem with rubbing at full lock.

As far as the speedo concerns, that's fine with me, too. My DSM is like that, too.

Thank for all the information, you guys are so helpful.

*P.S. - If anyone has a used or ready to dump 255/40/18 laying around, I am more than happy to pick up one for test fit.

fyi, stock height and 255/40/18 it will rub on full turns. it rubs the inside of the fender liner. and i wasnt able to run mudflaps, i had to cut them (you can see in one of the rear shots)

Thanks, I am aware of it, Bryan told me that, too. I will just don't do full turn or modify the fender lining later. Just love the look of 255/40.
    03 EVO
    <br />90 GSX