Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Front door speaker pods!!!!!!!

Default HOW TO: Front door speaker pods!!!!!!!

This is a "how to" for doing front door panels, this is specifically for my EVO but could be for anything,same principles could be used.

Quick list of what was being installed:
    DLS Ultimate Iridium 3 way (6.5 woofer, 3" softdome mid, 1" tweeter up by door handle) and lastly Adire Koda 6.5 for added Mid-bass.

First i took stock door panels, cut out the pockets to give me a space to insert the pods, I drew onthem with a sharpie,
    then used a dremel with saw blade attachemnt to cut.

Once that was done I Blue taped the living hell out of almost the whole door
    didnt want to get resin on anything. I then did a base of 2 layers fiberglass cloth.
    Then I put in 2 1/8 mdf rectangles to provide strength and serve as an anchor for screws
    Then 2 more layers of cloth. Let dry and again used the dremel to cut to shape.

Then I took my recessed mdf cirles I had made and started playing with the jigs
    to get the proper angles and shape i wanted

Next I drapped some fleece (Robot Blanket from old navy onsale for $5)
    pulled hella tight and realized i couldnt staple into my FG base...Gorrilla Duct tape to the res

After very carefully stapling the fleece down to the rings I applied a few layers of resin to the fleece.
    Then I poured resin INSIDE THE POD and proceded to apply 3 layers of 1 inch cut chop matte all over the interior.
    This was my idea on how to get the seam between the base and the fleece solid also keep my nice outer contours.

Next I mixed up what the FG fab guys call a milkshake, which is bondo and resin.
    I used a mixture of Evercoat Metal Glaze and PLastik Honey, I prefer not to skimp on materials because doing this is alot of work.
    Goes on smooth, easy to sand, no pin holes (well few pinholes)

Put the pods back on the doors in raw form, took more milkshake and "edged" them.
    What yoo do is fill all the lil cracks gaps so that the finsihed product is as flush as possible.
    after that got them sanded and then primered, then sprayed the Duplicolor bedliner,
    used anout 6 coats after the 4-5 hi build primer coats.

I then used can foam to fill the area between the front woofer and the back 2 speaker area.
    I did this due to the mid-bass would conflict with the front full range so it must be isolated.
    The 3" mid is sealed so its fine to share the open midbass chamber.

Then I installed everything and was in bliss for 2 months, then decided to track the car and took
    everything out!!!!!!!! OH WELL

heres the install pix

Last edited by Darqnez; 01-04-2009 at 05:27 AM.

Default Re: HOW TO: Front door speaker pods!!!!!!!

great job on the door panels. cant believe they fit perfectly fine.

Measure twice, cut once

Quote Originally Posted by panem
    great job on the door panels. cant believe they fit perfectly fine.

looks good bro!
    <br />Aim-DontRevMe

Whoa. :shock: that is some nice work there, man.

Thanks guys

seen it in person, look really good

very nice install there! with the DLS separates, i'm pretty sure you have good SQ. are the mids pointed/tilted upwards?

Incredible!

That's some fine skillz you got there.

That's outstanding...great job...

DD
    08 SCCA SFR XP Champion...
    Thanks SpeedElement for your support...