Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Rear door sub pods!!!!!!!

Default HOW TO: Rear door sub pods!!!!!!!

This project was actually my first attempt at using FG for anything. I am not a noob to fabrication (metal wood, dash touch screens gauge pods etc ) but am to fiberglass. I tried installing some ED 7kv2 6.5 (7" in reality) subs in my EVO's rear deck with custom mounts, sounded like ass, so i decided sealed pods were the answer. I bought an extra set of panels for cheap and hacked them up with a dremel, cut out a 1/4 mdf backing, made some speaker rings, sunken ones, hot glue the rings to the mdf took off, re-hot glue until i get them perfect. Trick is to just use a dab of glue until its like you want and then just dump it all over the base, use WOOD hot glue, the general purpose isnt sticky/rigid enough. Then wrapped the whole thing in fleece from a oldnavy blanket .

I can tell you that i ran out of the tap plastics good resin and it was sunday so all i could get was the bondo crap, and boy what a friggin difference it was! my 1st 2 layers with the tap poly resin were like surgical clean, neat... the bondo resin was more like a butcher shop, messy and rough....

Next dremeled the hole out and hand sanded it a bit, also took to it some more with the grinder, tested it sounds good.

Then more sanding and filling and more sanding, and then I sanded some more.

Then test fitted into doors, had to cut and trim here and there.

lined it with some plastic trim piece like you put around glass edges and such from Kragen to get the cut plastic edges clean...

Then 1 final milkshake and primer/paint.

Evercoat Metal Glaze and Plastik Honey to make a milk shake and completely refinished the boxes and painted them

With all that done I installed into car, sounded great, made nice arm rests!

Last edited by Darqnez; 01-04-2009 at 05:31 AM.

Default Re: HOW TO: Rear door sub pods!!!!!!!

wow that is awsome!!!!! good work!! i realy dont like audio stuff in evos but this looks very nice if you want to sell theese i would definetly be intrested. or if you willing to make another set, i would love a set of thoose to throw into my 8 for car shows!
    IM ON MY WAY BACK!!! DAVE YOULL GET YOUR STUPID PIECE OF METAL!!!

nice
    Winning isn&#039;t everything, it&#039;s the only thing.<br />

just out of curiosity what do thoose bad boys weigh? with speakers.

16lbs with speakers

the entire panel!!! thats not bad at all

yeah thats the beautiful part of FG, its strong and light.

how much did everything cost you? including subs and speakers front and rear?
    GST Tuned: 314whp 284wtq

lets see including the supplies for the front and rear, extra panels, plus speakers, i'd say about 1500 maybe

^ wow...well it looks great, awesome write up
    GST Tuned: 314whp 284wtq