Thread: everything you need to know about driveline fluids

Default everything you need to know about driveline fluids

please change your tranny fluid after each track event. these fluids, particularly engine oil and transmission oil BREAK DOWN WITH HEAT. a track day is ALL HEAT for those two parts and those two parts are ALWAYS MOVING. that means your tranny is ALWAYS MOVING which means if there is weak fluid in there, you're DOING DAMAGE!

the number ONE reason for lubrication, the ONLY reason for lubrication is because of HEAT! if there were no heat generated, if there were no friction, if there were no heat stress wear, there would be no reason for lubricants. so when your lubricants FAIL to stop the heat, when they're too thin because they're too broken down, YOU'RE DOING DAMAGE!

basic picture is this. engine oil gets too thin, less lubricity, engine runs hotter, pistons want to melt, detonation wants to blow it all apart. tranny oil gets too hot, gears no longer getting lubricity, gears heat up even more, gears want to warp and expand out of spec. all bad.

quantities

you need 3 quarts for the tranny
    3/4 quart for the rear diff
    and 1/2 quart for the t-case

ALWAYS BUY MORE THAN YOU NEED BY AT LEAST 1 BOTTLE. you never know when you're gonna kick one over and ruin your day after you already drained the casings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W
    We use the plain BG Syncroshift for the tranny. I see no benifit in paying extra and using the BG-II (synthetic). The BG Syncroshift has the right amount of slippery lube to keep the bearings and gears happy and the right amount of grippy additives to keep the syncros grabing the gears like they supposed to also. BG Syncroshift is not rated for Hypoid gears like what are in the transfer case and the rear diff.Â* It is only for the transmission.

We use Red Line Heavy Shockproof gear oil in the transfer case. The Shockproof is a nasty thick raspberry syrup looking goo that sticks to everything and coats the whole innards of the transfer case. Almost like some weird liquid grease. Nothing protects the ring and pinion better. Jump on some national e-tard peanut gallery and you'll see all kinds of goofy opinions on what works in the transfer case and what dont. So many transfer cases were not shimmed correctly from the factory that you cant give any rear weight to what the peanut gallery says.

We use Red Line 75/90 in the rear diff. The 75/90 has the LSD addidive in it to keep the clutch plates in the rear diff happy. Shock Proof and BG do not.

BG is $29 for three quarts here, the two different Red Line fluids are $9 each. $47 buys it all.

Mike W

And just to keep you thoroghly confused, your FRONT DIFFERENTIAL is inside the transfer case but is lubricated by the transmission oil.Â* The CENTER DIFFERENTIAL is inside the transmission and also is lubricated by the transmission oil. Only the ring and pinion of the transfer case get lubbed by what ever oil you have inside your transfer case. The VISCOUS COUPLER happens to also live inside the transfer case but it has it's own special silicon based goo sealed inside.

Mike W
    And where all did you look for this ellusive transfer case oil again? I could swear that there must be some shop in So Cal that specializes in EVOs that would keep a couple quarts on hand :-/

Maybe some people are cornfusing the gear slop coasting noise for worn ring and pinion howling... When ever you put in a clutch with stiffer than stock springs in the clutch disc or any kind of solid hub clutch you will get more drivetrain noise. The nice soft squishy spring in the stock clutch disc dont transmit much driveline noise. But stiffer or no springs will let you hear all the slop in every gear between the motor and the wheels. You only hear it a part throttle cruising and especially on coasting.

Noises under throttle and especially more louder the faster you go... that is a worn ring and pinion gear (either in the transfer case or rear diff).

Mike W
    Quote Originally Posted by lagisco

so I purchased the following fluids from RRE, 3qts of BG Synchroshift 1, 3qts of Redline Heavy Weight Shock Proof, 1qt of Redline 75w90

I know for sure that the BG Synchroshift is for the tranny and will be following this guide on changing it:
    http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=2&tech_id=26

for the transfer case i'll be following:
    http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=2&tech_id=25

but for the transfer case and rear diff, I'm not sure which of the oils was supposed to be put in the transfercase and rear diff, the shock proof or the 75w90?

all this on a 05 GSR
    Quote Originally Posted by lagisco
    75W90 in the rear diff.

Here are two guides I have bookmarked ...

Rear Diff
    http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=54218

Tranny/Xfer/Diff
    http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=392

-nurb2-
    it does appear that the 6 speed should take a different fluid as many who have the 6speed and use bg get really uncomfortable shifting at all times. please consult a transmission building expert on which types of fluid are best used in the evolution 6 speeds. some have reported success with straight redline mt90 in the 6 speed.

other notes. bg synchroshift II is a fully synthetic fluid that is slightly more expensive than the normal bg synchroshift and is highly recommended as it does not break down as quickly. reagardless, you should always change your tranny fluid after every event.

also common mixes used are 1 bottle redline mt-90 + 2 bottles bg synchroshift (1 or 2). and 2 bottles redline mtl + 1 bottle bg sychroshift (1 or 2)

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=26436.0

a tad more reading for those concerned with such issues.
    I <3 Nisei Engineering

Default Re: everything you need to know about driveline fluids

here's the how to thread with pics

http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index...=21876.new#new
    I <3 Nisei Engineering