Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Filling up gas while car still running

Default Re: Filling up gas while car still running

^Even then the muffler is too small for me!
    06 TB Evo IX GSR
    MODS: Apex-i Catback, Works Drop in filter.
    "Maybe" Soon to be E85 powered

10/22/08 Infineon Raceway 13.997
    www.speedelement.com

Quote Originally Posted by James Bond
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil06
    i accidently tried it once on my car when i turned the ignition off and the timer was still on, started gasing and after a few seconds after wards my car was hesitating like no tomorrow. ionno if this will fuck my shit up but i highly suggest not do it!!!
    There is something wrong with your car then

Putting gas in your tank while the engine is running will not cause a problem with the running of the engine.

1. Check light for gas cap/Evap
    2. Possibility of blowing you, your car and the gas station up (00000.1% chance)

Those are about the only 2 things that can possibly happen when you fill up your tank with the engine running.

yes it will cuz it happen to my car as well as some guys on norcal as well. go back to page 1 and read trinydex's post.

an evap. problem wouldn't cause my car to stumble, on top of that my car doesn't blow its the other way around! :lol:
    *Tooned By Bryan At GST*<br />*302 AWHP and 294 AWTQ*<br />*Stock IX Turbo With Bolt Ons*

i accidently tried it once on my car when i turned the ignition off and the timer was still on, started gasing and after a few seconds after wards my car was hesitating like no tomorrow. ionno if this will fuck my shit up but i highly suggest not do it!!!

Putting gas in your tank while the engine is running will not cause a problem with the running of the engine.

2. Possibility of blowing you, your car and the gas station up (00000.1% chance)

Those are about the only 2 things that can possibly happen when you fill up your tank with the engine running.

yes it will cuz it happen to my car as well as some guys on norcal as well. go back to page 1 and read trinydex's post.

an evap. problem wouldn't cause my car to stumble, on top of that my car doesn't blow its the other way around! :lol:
    trinydex's really didn't say anything or give any evidence that this is bad.

Since this thread I have done it twice in my Evo and in my scion (my daily driver) I do it twice a week, I have yet to ever see a car stumble/misfire or anything of the sort because I put gas in when the car is running.

Maybe certain cars (I would think Audi's, BMW's and such) would have some pressure related switch/actuator/sensor that could throw a check light and then tell the ECU something or another?? I really don't know I guess BUT I do know that I do this all the time and have never seen any malfunction besides a check light.

Dont wanna call you a liar so that's why I said maybe something else is wrong with your car but then again, I don't really know

Google search on this topic is endless, here is a few.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1132253AATrQrB

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_bad_...p_the_gas_tank

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SilverXLR2004 View Post
    Dear members,
    I just mentioned my experience with the engine light and check gas cap earlier in another post. I had the fuel cap replaced and the engine light reset at the dealership. However, the warning lights disappeared after this and then came on again. I just found out that someone who drove my car earlier had filled fuel while the engine was running. I've heard that filling the tank while the engine running could cause damage to one of the computers, as a result, the check gas cap message and engine light appears. Is that correct? Anyone had experienced this before? if so , any suggestions to solve the problem would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    NOT CORRECT!!!!!!

There are NO WIRES that run from the fuel tank to the computer.

I have filled up with the car running, A/C on and my wife in the passenger side of the car many times.

I was hopeful that bob aka standby was correct in recommending the new gas cap but I still stand behind my origional post.

The dealer can diagnose the problem with his Diagnostic tool.

Good Luck

Team OutKast

trinydex's really didn't say anything or give any evidence that this is bad.

Since this thread I have done it twice in my Evo and in my scion (my daily driver) I do it twice a week, I have yet to ever see a car stumble/misfire or anything of the sort because I put gas in when the car is running.

Maybe certain cars (I would think Audi's, BMW's and such) would have some pressure related switch/actuator/sensor that could throw a check light and then tell the ECU something or another?? I really don't know I guess BUT I do know that I do this all the time and have never seen any malfunction besides a check light.

Dont wanna call you a liar so that's why I said maybe something else is wrong with your car but then again, I don't really know

Google search on this topic is endless, here is a few.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1132253AATrQrB

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_bad_...p_the_gas_tank

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SilverXLR2004 View Post
    Dear members,
    I just mentioned my experience with the engine light and check gas cap earlier in another post. I had the fuel cap replaced and the engine light reset at the dealership. However, the warning lights disappeared after this and then came on again. I just found out that someone who drove my car earlier had filled fuel while the engine was running. I've heard that filling the tank while the engine running could cause damage to one of the computers, as a result, the check gas cap message and engine light appears. Is that correct? Anyone had experienced this before? if so , any suggestions to solve the problem would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    NOT CORRECT!!!!!!

There are NO WIRES that run from the fuel tank to the computer.

I have filled up with the car running, A/C on and my wife in the passenger side of the car many times.

I was hopeful that bob aka standby was correct in recommending the new gas cap but I still stand behind my origional post.

The dealer can diagnose the problem with his Diagnostic tool.

Good Luck

well....im not saying that your wrong, cuz ive seen buddies of mines do it on their NA's and they have no problem. cuz my car did stumble and you think that something is wrong with my car, which i know 4sho that nothing is wrong, i think it must be normal for some evo's since im not the only one with the problem. if you dont mind me asking, what kind of mods do u have and have u gotten a tune yet?
    *Tooned By Bryan At GST*<br />*302 AWHP and 294 AWTQ*<br />*Stock IX Turbo With Bolt Ons*

my coworkers evo are doing the same thing as well....so i assume this is a common problem for the evo's.

same thing for me! 05 MR
    J.S.F

I fill my tank, with my car on..while smoking a cig and making calls. No problems yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil06 View Post
    my coworkers evo are doing the same thing as well....so i assume this is a common problem for the evo's.
    i have the same problem as well...