Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodyear F1 GS-D3s--bad choice?

Default Goodyear F1 GS-D3s--bad choice?

Quote Originally Posted by vtluu
    On a related note, is there a local tire place that people would recommend, that will pricematch against TireRack?
    Try Kumho tire dealership in San Jose.

I forgot the location, but the phone number (408) 998 4267.

I haven't bought there yet, but my friend got a pretty good deal on his new set of Kumho ECSTA KH4 (cheap H rating daily driver).

Hopefully, they can give you good deals on new MX's.

vtluu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ace33joe

I haven't bought there yet, but my friend got a pretty good deal on his new set of Kumho ECSTA KH4 (cheap H rating daily driver).

Cool, I Googled for it and the place is called Kumho Tire Distribution, their address is 521 W. San Carlos St.--about 4 miles south of my place. Anyway I'll call around tomorrow; TireRack has the 255/40-17 MXs backordered so I'm hoping someone here can do better, because I've heard the weather this weekend is gonna suck...

Quote Originally Posted by ace33joe

Cool, I Googled for it and the place is called Kumho Tire Distribution, their address is 521 W. San Carlos St.--about 4 miles south of my place. Anyway I'll call around tomorrow; TireRack has the 255/40-17 MXs backordered so I'm hoping someone here can do better, because I've heard the weather this weekend is gonna suck...

vtluu Guest

Aaargh, Kumho Tire Distribution [size=24px]SUCKS[/size]!

I called them up this morning, asked if they had 255/40-17 Ecsta MXs, and they said they did, and quoted me $127 a tire mounted and balanced :shock: (TireRack is $137 a tire, plus shipping, plus mounting).

So I drive there a 9am, the place looks incredibly ghetto, and there are about 3 cars being worked on ahead of me, but whatever, fine. I stood around for almost an hour watching the cars being worked on and grew increasingly alarmed at what I saw:
    - They used air impact wrenches to tighten the lugs--in some cases they didn't even bother threading the nuts by hand;
    - I watched as they stripped the threads on the lug bolts on some poor schmucks minivan, and then "pointed out" the problem to him (who didn't know any better);
    - They balanced the wheels with crappy-looking weights that they stuck (hammered) onto the outside of the rims;
    - They were about to start on my car and couldn't figure out where to jack up the car (they didn't have a lift, just floor jacks)--I had to point it out to them.

Finally I decided I'd seen enough, and I told them I "didn't need the tires mounted right away" so I'd just buy the tires. After waiting on them for another 15 minutes, they came back and said they didn't have any 255/40-17s. Or even any MXs for that matter. WTF?!? :bandhead:

Anyway that's an hour (and a half) of my life I'll never get back, but maybe some of you can benefit from my experience: do not go to Kumho Tire Distribution!!! issed:

holy crap, what a scary experience vtluu! :shock:

i don't know if you want to drive up to san rafael, but i've had good experiences with cain's tire in there. they never scratched my rims and they price matched tire rack too.

if you want a tire dealer to match tire rack find out what they will charge you for mounting, balancing and disposal. then add in what it would cost you to purchase the tires from tire rack plus shipping. if they won't do it, go some where else.

Aaargh, Kumho Tire Distribution [size=24px]SUCKS[/size]!

I called them up this morning, asked if they had 255/40-17 Ecsta MXs, and they said they did, and quoted me $127 a tire mounted and balanced :shock: (TireRack is $137 a tire, plus shipping, plus mounting).

So I drive there a 9am, the place looks incredibly ghetto, and there are about 3 cars being worked on ahead of me, but whatever, fine. I stood around for almost an hour watching the cars being worked on and grew increasingly alarmed at what I saw:
    - They used air impact wrenches to tighten the lugs--in some cases they didn't even bother threading the nuts by hand;
    - I watched as they stripped the threads on the lug bolts on some poor schmucks minivan, and then "pointed out" the problem to him (who didn't know any better);
    - They balanced the wheels with crappy-looking weights that they stuck (hammered) onto the outside of the rims;
    - They were about to start on my car and couldn't figure out where to jack up the car (they didn't have a lift, just floor jacks)--I had to point it out to them.

Finally I decided I'd seen enough, and I told them I "didn't need the tires mounted right away" so I'd just buy the tires. After waiting on them for another 15 minutes, they came back and said they didn't have any 255/40-17s. Or even any MXs for that matter. WTF?!? :bandhead:

Anyway that's an hour (and a half) of my life I'll never get back, but maybe some of you can benefit from my experience: do not go to Kumho Tire Distribution!!! issed:
    Oh, man. I am terribly sorry for mentioning that place.
    I haven't been there myself, and I just heard that they are cheap from my friend. Sorry, man. I won't recommend that place to anyone even my friend got tires cheap.