Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Techniques For HPDE Beginners and Amateurs - WHAT NOT TO DO

Default Re: Driving Techniques For HPDE Beginners and Amateurs - WHAT NOT TO DO

from what I've seen its pretty much the most effective way of getting these damn things to turn.
    Eat me

Hahahh, but understeer won't be too much of an issue for beginners if they are as scared as I was the first couple times. Hell when I get to HPDE the evo I will probably be scared as shit with so much power.

Besides lift throttle is something that has to be practiced and more than likely your first time around you are going to panic and put both feet in.
    Proud Supporter of SPEEDELEMENT and GSTMOTORSPORTS

t00ned by Bryan@GST

Ahhh and that brings me to my next one that I feel is THE MOST IMPORTANT.

-Do NOT try and "save" the car when you already have a wheel or two off.

Yes we all know how embarassing it is to go off track. But trust me, if you try and save the car by bringing it back on track after you have dropped two off you are asking for trouble. You guys have seen evos roll on track and every time I have seen it, it's because the driver dropped two off and tried to come back on the track. Don't be a hero. Just let the car go off track straight. Clutch in and apply the brake, but do not attempt to steer the car, especially in sand, dirt, gravel or grass aka (buttonwillow, laguna, thunderhill)

t00ned by Bryan@GST

A lot of this depends on how much, how abruptly, and where on track you lift. IT is not advisable for a beginner to do this, and a lot of folks in Evos have gone off in turn 2 at t-hill because of abrubt (sp?) lift-off oversteer. But I had to learn to lift judiciously to gett he car to turn. In the CRX it is nmandatory for mid-corner rotation in some corners...in fact I need to learn how to LFB more effectively. But, beginners just need to learn to drive smoothly and cleanly, on line.

Quote Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
    There are instances where you can lift to your advantage, but that is a more advanced technique. FWD guys use it alot. Once they get understeer they abruptly lift causing over steer and they immediately get back on the throttle to hold the car from spinning. Pretty gutsy in an evo at any fast rate of speed.
    2 Wins, 2006 NASA Time Trials, Norcal (Evo)<br />1 win, 2006 NCRC TT Series, GT-1<br />6 Podiums, NASA TT TTA, 2007, 2 second place, 4 3rd place (Evo)

yeah its for sure not something you want to do your first time out but what I think people were getting at with the don't lift comments is that itsfar more safe to stay in the gas and go off straight then to lift and go off sideways....

My problem is im not use to so much power and kinda live by "when in doubt, pin it" theory and it tends to make me considerably slower cause I just push real bad. From the entry to 11 through exiting 13 is the worst for me since its such a slow section. I just need to get some more seat time and figure out what this part throttle thing is that everyone talks about.
    Eat me

Hahaahah...gas pedal = on and off switch for ya, eh?

Yah left foot braking definitely takes some getting used to. It's easy on the street, but when turning or in the heat of the moment most folks tend to use more pressure than they would normally when left foot braking OR they are concentrating so much on the braking that they aren't smooth with the wheel, etc.

t00ned by Bryan@GST

yeah its like a three position switch. Off/Maintain/On. On street tires on the street its no big deal cause I just let it spin and ride it out since I'm no where near the limit. On r comps on the track its a tad un-nerving cause it just makes the chassis upset. I'm actually going to run street tires and my 91 map my next time out to see if that helps me learn a little.
    Eat me

Good idea Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by steevo8
    yeah its like a three position switch. Off/Maintain/On. On street tires on the street its no big deal cause I just let it spin and ride it out since I'm no where near the limit. On r comps on the track its a tad un-nerving cause it just makes the chassis upset. I'm actually going to run street tires and my 91 map my next time out to see if that helps me learn a little.
    2 Wins, 2006 NASA Time Trials, Norcal (Evo)<br />1 win, 2006 NCRC TT Series, GT-1<br />6 Podiums, NASA TT TTA, 2007, 2 second place, 4 3rd place (Evo)

yeah I figure I have nothing to loose. Even though josh thinks I'm a pussy for it, I'm fine with street tires for an event. Plus I have two sets of r comps waiting so its not like its a permanent thing
    Eat me

I always repeat a few mantras for people new to the track:
    - look waaaay ahead, not right in front of the car
    - look where you want to go: the car will follow where your eyes are focused. This sounds obvious but it helps tremendously.
    - always be smooth