Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Techniques For HPDE Beginners and Amateurs - WHAT NOT TO DO

Default Driving Techniques For HPDE Beginners and Amateurs - WHAT NOT TO DO

Well I kinda poked around and didn't quite find any one topic that stated what NOT to do OR what NOT to worry about when you are still a beginner :P I thought it would be useful and informative to see what you guys have come across or something you learned while driving on track.

Also note that: this is for information purposes only. If you read something hear that you disagree about, then please keep it civil as we know people's idea of "safety" differs, so lets keep an open mind. :lol:

My list of things that I have seen

-Do NOT be a "thumb-hooker" (I am guilty of this) ....I know this sounds weird, but I have noticed that sometimes it is comfortable to "hook" my thumb through the steering wheel while driving instead of holding the wheel at 10 and 2. This may be fine and dandy, but if something should jolt your wheel (burm, rock, debris) it will be harder to react with your hands not on the wheel properly.

-Do NOT drive as if this is competitive racing. There is a difference between wheel-to-wheel racing and HPDE. Please be mindful that even if you are a hot shoe, that doesn't mean that everyone around you knows what is going on.

-Do NOT run race harnesses without a roll bar w/ a proper harness bar. There are some harnesses deemed okay with just harness bars, but I think there is only one and its the Scroth ones. Sparco/Takata/Sabelt etc are all designed with use of a roll bar. (You can get more info off the NASA web site.) I am not talking about Cusco/safety 21 here either because honestly that's an appearance item. I know you see folks running them to their back seats and using them with only a harness bar and it's not safe.

**Most harnesses are also street illegal, due to the fact that if you have them on properly you won't be able to see behind you because your shoulder will be strapped down to the seat back.**

-Do NOT run fixed back seats without a roll bar - Again this is not deemed safe. You can get this info straight off the Nasa website.

-Do NOT run a cage with any bars forward of the B-pillar for a street car. Yes cages look cool, but they are meant for use with a helmet. Even padding the bar won't help you if your noggin hits it.

Let the fun begin!!! :lol:
    Proud Supporter of SPEEDELEMENT and GSTMOTORSPORTS

t00ned by Bryan@GST

Default Re: Driving Techniques For HPDE Beginners and Amateurs - WHAT NOT TO DO

You basically mentioned it, but I think the most important thing (technique-wise) for new trackers is:

- DO plan to go SLOW. In addition to the comments above about not racing, focus on feel and smoothness. If you go out to the track for the first few times and keep telling yourself that you're going to go smooth and sow, you'll find yourself being very safe...and actually very fast without realizing!
    SpeedElement
    GSTMotorsports

3. Default Re: Driving Techniques For HPDE Beginners and Amateurs - WHAT NOT TO DO

dont admire the scenery while on the track.

:lol:
    400whp/384tq - E85 - stock turbo
    334whp/317tq - 91oct - stock turbo

Sponsored by www.speedelement.com / www.rallyinnovations.com / www.bajadesigns.com / www.sportsracingfuel.com / www.gruppe-s.com / www.vexmotorsports.com / www.detailaddict.com
    Tuned by Bryan@GST Motorsports
    Proud supporter of www.gstmotorsports.com / www.xperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
    -Do NOT run a cage with any bars forward of the B-pillar for a street car. Yes cages look cool, but they are meant for use with a helmet. Even padding the bar won't help you if your noggin hits it.
    :shock: God, what a horrible image to imagine.....

Don't lift mid apex :lol:

Any reason why you cant run fix-back seats without a roll bar? A lot of factory-prepped cars come with them without roll-over protection
    http://www.mensalmanac.com

Ahhh that brings me to my next one:

-Do NOT feel the need to heel-toe shift (yet) - When you first start out there are so many other things to pay attention to than this. I was guilty of the same. Then my instructor said to not worry about the shifting so much and to just try and take a smooth line even if it was in a higher gear. More important things to remember were where the apexes are (find a landmark shrub, mark on the floor etc) and to try and get a feel for the track and the corner entry speeds.

-Do NOT feel bad about yourself when you get passed by seemingly slow cars. It will happen and that is inevitable. Even though your car can beat these slower cars, that doesn't mean your driving skill is good enough to do it yet. When I first started HPDE in my ITR I got passed by all kinds of slower cars (sohc civics, miata's, mazdaspeeds). Don't worry about it so much. Think of it as motivation to get more seat time because that is the only thing that will get you to go faster.

-Do NOT follow other people's lines - If you are a beginner, then more than likely so is the guy in front of you. So following somebody else's line probably isn't a good idea.

-Do NOT get caught in "Chase" mode - Yah when somebody passes you, your instinct is to overtake them. Do not "chase" people, because once again this is NOT racing and more than likely will land you off the track or in a tire wall.

t00ned by Bryan@GST

Yeah, bad to follow, especially if the guy in front is a uber novice and/or drives a rwd car. The line evos take and the line most other cars on the track take is a bit different
    http://www.mensalmanac.com

Tips TO DO:

- Brake in a Straight Line

- Be smooth with Braking and Throttle (including releasing brake to apply throttle), tires are sensitive to abrupt changes and this smoothness will reward you in faster/predictible cornering (Added Edit)

^^ Â*awesome tips soo far bro!! keep em up!

I find myself here reading some of them, and I'm like " Oh good point" haha

Keep your calm as a driver when you get passed and running your own race seems important. Â*Like how you said not to worry when you get passed, and feel the need to chase. Â*Just do whatcha can.
    -Dick Pound

Quote Originally Posted by UCB

Any reason why you cant run fix-back seats without a roll bar? A lot of factory-prepped cars come with them without roll-over protection
    I suppose you are referencing those high dollar italian machines?? If so, supposedly some of those cars come with somewhat of a "cage" built into the frame of the car. Not sure if that is an excuse or not, but Nasa does not advise it. Although I have seen it plenty of times pass inspection.

Basically in theory (this might be an old rule aimed at older cars with lower safety standards) when you roll with fixed back seats and harnesses with no roll bar, you are strapped upright in your seat. And with no rollover protection and a bad enough roll (roof collapse) then you can't move out of the way or have anywhere to go and that roof comes down on your head and collapses the spine.

It is still up in the air whether running fixed back seats and stock seat belts is safe. There has been a bit of discussion on it on other forums. But the way I think of it is, it depends on your setup. Sometimes very stiff and high thigh bolsters will keep the lap belt from properly resting on your body. You can get by this by unbolting the stock seatbelt and threading it through the thigh bolster harness holes (if your seat has em).

On my integra, for the street I use stock seat belts and a roll bar w/ fixed back seats. I threaded the seat belt through. Then when I go HPDE I clip in my Sparco harnesses and leave my stock seat belts off to the side.

t00ned by Bryan@GST