Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dSLR n00b status - D40 ftw?

Default Re: dSLR n00b status - D40 ftw?

Good choice, you'll love it I'm sure. And the 18-200 is a great carry around lens as Wilson indicates. Good for most everything.

Quote Originally Posted by byt
    Vicious,
    Thanks for the sweet price on the D70 but it looks like the D40 order was already placed!

Wilson,
    Damnit stop making me drool over that 18-200 vr....

Evo IX MR SE TB<br />Perrin FMIC, Nisei LICP, Samco Hoses, JUN B.L TBE, Perrin DP, Cosworth 272s, ACT, ARP Head studs, Walboro FP, Denso 720cc&#039;s, KW Variant 3&#039;s, Whiteline 25mm Rear Sway, End Links, Roll Center Adjustment Kit, Apex&#039;i AVC-r, Apex&#039;i TTr, Cusco Rear STB, Ingalls Stiffy,, APR Rear Diffuser, Seibon CW Hood, Defi Blue Racer Gauges (Boost, Oil Press., EGT). Volk CE28N Time Attacks<br /><br />GST Tuned 305whp, 296wtq<br />My Evo build up Updated 5/13: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=264482

2. Default Re: dSLR n00b status - D40 ftw?

Quote Originally Posted by Matz
    Quote Originally Posted by bricel24
    ^^^ that's a good price for your D70 Chris :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by wilson1
    Nikon=Evo, Canon=Subies

Welcome to the Darkside..........

LOL @ Wilson for comparing :lol:
    Hey, I have all Canon cameras!
    same here :lol: i like them canons.
    400whp/384tq - E85 - stock turbo
    334whp/317tq - 91oct - stock turbo

Sponsored by www.speedelement.com / www.rallyinnovations.com / www.bajadesigns.com / www.sportsracingfuel.com / www.gruppe-s.com / www.vexmotorsports.com / www.detailaddict.com
    Tuned by Bryan@GST Motorsports
    Proud supporter of www.gstmotorsports.com / www.xperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by UCB
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan@GST
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveLC2
    The kit lens for the D70 (18-70) is better glass too.

Dave
    the D70 kit lense sucks. Either that or I am spoiled by primes.
    Yeah pretty much every review Ive read said the D70 Kit lens is top notch for what it is
    I guess it's good for what it is, but it's far from sharp. Plus a decent 35mm prime lense is pretty cheap and I can tell you I notice a very large difference with the photos shot with the kit lense and my f/2D AF 35mm prime. You can pick them up for under $300 nowadays.

Here is a decent comparison:

D70 kit lense:

f/2D AF 35mm prime:

Notice the difference in sharpness overall, specifically in the grass and trees.

Brian's rite. There's a drastic difference when using prime versus telephoto. Primes have the wide aperture and the kit lens telephoto has the zoom. The sharpness is actually the best at the apertures the prime lenses are at.

=] my eyes are set on the 18-200 VR next and then the 35 or 28 mm prime
    -Ryan
    WW Lancer Evolution IX

Yup, there is a big difference between a prime and a telephoto, but for what it does, generally, the 18-70 is quite a well received and highly praised lens for it's category.

Btw, since you went with the D40, there is a mod you can do to force it to meter with pre-AI, AI, and AI-S lenses

http://www.alternativemicrosystems.com/D40/

It looks like it's pretty complex and involves taking apart a scavenge lens and your camera and hardwiring in the chip to force aperture control, but if you are mechanically inclined . . . ;p
    Evo IX MR SE TB<br />Perrin FMIC, Nisei LICP, Samco Hoses, JUN B.L TBE, Perrin DP, Cosworth 272s, ACT, ARP Head studs, Walboro FP, Denso 720cc&#039;s, KW Variant 3&#039;s, Whiteline 25mm Rear Sway, End Links, Roll Center Adjustment Kit, Apex&#039;i AVC-r, Apex&#039;i TTr, Cusco Rear STB, Ingalls Stiffy,, APR Rear Diffuser, Seibon CW Hood, Defi Blue Racer Gauges (Boost, Oil Press., EGT). Volk CE28N Time Attacks<br /><br />GST Tuned 305whp, 296wtq<br />My Evo build up Updated 5/13: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=264482

^^ that's a bit too hardcore for me at the moment. :lol:

if all goes well i should be receiving the camera in the mail next week. i can't wait!