Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tranny Problems

Default Re: Tranny Problems

+1
    pauls the man !!

Give him a call he'll be able to help you out

Thanks for the props. guys. I'll be the first to admit that my shop doesn't have as much experience w/the six speeds as we do the five speeds.......that being said, there is no smoke and mirrors in this business and we would be happy to take a look at your trans. if you would like to remove it and bring it in for an inspection. Pricing would be based on what components your trans. would need plus any upgrades that we feel would be necessary.

Paul Langlie
    TB &#39;06 IX SE.Â&nbsp; SpeedElement / GST / STaSIS / On KW&#39;s by Robi<br /><br />1970 Camaro - 1/4 mi: 7.40 @ 187.78<br />2006 Mitsu.Â&nbsp; Â&nbsp; - 1/4 mi: 12.62 @ 109.88

Thanks paul.... By word of mouth your the one to go to. But would you recommend either i rebuild my MR tranny or consider a much stronger more efficient 5 speed. Only if the 6th speed were more reliable than itd be my weapon of choice.

You have to be willing to change a few of the components in the car to make the 5-speed compatible.....it can easily be done as guys do it all of the time, it just depends on what your needs are and what you do with your car. I think that the 6-spd can be made to work well w/a street car, but for track beatings, the 5-spd will handle the abuse more readily.

I would really like to put a 6-spd in my car. I just haven't taken the time to try and perfect the 6-spd enough, let alone get the shifter and cables, etc. that are needed for the change over.

Hope this helps,

Paul
    TB &#39;06 IX SE.Â&nbsp; SpeedElement / GST / STaSIS / On KW&#39;s by Robi<br /><br />1970 Camaro - 1/4 mi: 7.40 @ 187.78<br />2006 Mitsu.Â&nbsp; Â&nbsp; - 1/4 mi: 12.62 @ 109.88

really? I like your 5spd WAY better than my 6spd. Although the revs seem a bit higher on the hwy in your 5spd.

I know the VIII 4 th gear mod for my IX is something I am considering. Would it be hard to change the 5th gear of my 5 -speed to say a 6-speed OD equivalent ratio? This would help freeway cruise allot.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan@GST
    really? I like your 5spd WAY better than my 6spd. Although the revs seem a bit higher on the hwy in your 5spd.
    '06 IX WW RS

yea paul has the Evo 8 4th in his Evo 9 trans.

I heard the Evo 8 5th is taller than the Evo 9 5th.

This alone sounds like the best of both worlds. In lieu of a 6- speed that is.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan@GST
    yea paul has the Evo 8 4th in his Evo 9 trans.

I heard the Evo 8 5th is taller than the Evo 9 5th.
    '06 IX WW RS

Hey y not trade with mine!!!

The only reason that I would say I would like the 6-spd is due to the freeway cruise RPM.Â* I hate taking long drives - like Vegas - where the engine is up at 4K for the majority of the trip.Â* Bryan, I could tell immediately that your 6-spd had a real deep O/D compared to my 5-spd.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a 6-spd ratio'd 5th gear for the 5-spd. (.69).Â* The gears are not interchangeable themselves between the two units.Â* As far as the VIII 5th gear being taller, yes it is(.72 vs. .76).Â* Both the VIII 4th & 5th gears are taller by 5%.Â* This equates to about 190 rpm if your IX cruises at 3800. The 6-spd 6th gear would be about 300 rpm lower given that specific speed.

Paul