Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tranny Problems

Default Re: Tranny Problems

Hmm I wonder what that would equate to on the front straight at thill if both a 8 and 9 had relatively the same power? Paul your a drag racer, hows that bench race play out?
    Eat me

Assuming you shift out of 4th gear at 7500 RPM, the VIII would be traveling at approx. 121 & IX approx. 115 due to gear ratios. If both cars can pull the tall 5th gear to say 5500 RPM with stock height tires, theoretically, the VIII will be traveling approx. 128 and the IX would be traveling 121.Â* The problem w/these #'s is that there is an acceleration factor based on the gear ratio's and the power the vehicle is making.Â* With the shorter ratio, the IX should theoretically reach the shift point sooner (easier for the engine to accelerate due to the shorter gearing).Â* What does this all mean.Â* I don't know.Â* It has to be tested.Â* I put the VIII 4th gear in mine because w/a raised rev. limit I can grit my teeth and run 4th gear all the way down the T-hill straight, only rolling out a bit before the flagstand and letting the vehicle scrub some speed w/the engine decelleration.Â* My problem is I am a puss and don't like to make the 5-4 downshift going into 1!Â* If I just had that 8500 RPM power curve everything would work out great....no need for 5th!

Paul
    TB &#39;06 IX SE.Â&nbsp; SpeedElement / GST / STaSIS / On KW&#39;s by Robi<br /><br />1970 Camaro - 1/4 mi: 7.40 @ 187.78<br />2006 Mitsu.Â&nbsp; Â&nbsp; - 1/4 mi: 12.62 @ 109.88

so in theory who slides up the hill to the water tower on turn 1 first is going to come down to who has the biggest balls lol
    Eat me

Totally OT:

I am NEVER looking forward to that "journey to the top of the hill". That turn scares the crap out of me. It's amazing how many muscles in your body can tense up when the car starts to slide and you don't think there is enough curbing on the outside to keep you in the ballpark... :shock: :shock: :shock: That is really a 7/10ths corner for this kid.

Paul
    TB &#39;06 IX SE.Â&nbsp; SpeedElement / GST / STaSIS / On KW&#39;s by Robi<br /><br />1970 Camaro - 1/4 mi: 7.40 @ 187.78<br />2006 Mitsu.Â&nbsp; Â&nbsp; - 1/4 mi: 12.62 @ 109.88

IX 4th gear FTL. When I was stock I could go over 9, and 12-13 without shifting. Since the tune I have to half throttle it going through those turns otherwise I'll bounce off the limiter. I just ride redline until I can get the car straight enough to shift without worrying about upsetting the car. Not to mention not being able to ride it out in 4th going into one.

I have one of three choices. Either shift into 5th for a few hundred feet, enough to get a few MPH, and worry about tranny wear. Ride 4th out and lift enough to keep it from bouncing of the limiter and keep it there from well before the starter stand all the way into the braking markers, and worry about the prolonged wear of keeping it hanging at 7600rpm. Then I could just simply granny shift early or lift way off through the front straight and be super depressed.

I remember on my VIII the taller 4th gear gets you into the 120mph mark easily. Which is what I normally get to before the brake marker at T-1. Even if I made more power, I could just raise the limiter and ride it out to almost 125. That should be plenty enough. When/if the tranny goes then I'm getting the VIII 4th for sure.
    -Oscar
    IX SE-285whp/282wtq Catback, HKS drop in, GST reflash

Quote Originally Posted by planglie
    Thanks for the props. guys. I'll be the first to admit that my shop doesn't have as much experience w/the six speeds as we do the five speeds.......that being said, there is no smoke and mirrors in this business and we would be happy to take a look at your trans. if you would like to remove it and bring it in for an inspection. Pricing would be based on what components your trans. would need plus any upgrades that we feel would be necessary.

Paul Langlie
    Cool, I might have to take you up on that inspection. always grinds 5th.
    <br />Tai Wilson -Mt. Madonna Touge Alliance

yea imma newbie!! i was referred here by "slimdatwelve209"...first of all i just bought an evo8 from Fremont CA for $16500...the cars in good shape with few dings on hood and bumper but overall im satisfied.. i have few questions.. when i rev all the way to redline its really hard to shift into upper gear kinda grinds before goin in but if i shift at 6000 it goes in smooth and pulls stronger..i noticed that it pulls stronger around 4-5000 rpm but after that you dont feel it pull.. is it because of tranny??

Quote Originally Posted by triple L
    yea imma newbie!! i was referred here by "slimdatwelve209"...first of all i just bought an evo8 from Fremont CA for $16500...the cars in good shape with few dings on hood and bumper but overall im satisfied.. i have few questions.. when i rev all the way to redline its really hard to shift into upper gear kinda grinds before goin in but if i shift at 6000 it goes in smooth and pulls stronger..i noticed that it pulls stronger around 4-5000 rpm but after that you dont feel it pull.. is it because of tranny??
    the pull is from the boost genersted by your turbo... it peaks somwhere in 3300 range, and up in the 5k range it starts to taper down because the turbo isn't producing enough boost to keep up. When the boost starts falling so does your torque, hence it feels weaker to you. I'm not even gunna pretend i have a clue on transmissions

any ways how to get more top end power and money-wise best bang for the buck??

this is not the thread for these types of questions. Just search around a bit. Also make sure you do your homework before just going off someone's word here. Your best resources for parts and tuning are going to be GST and SpeedElement, if you need your trans rebuilt Planglie would be the guy.
    Eat me