Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tranny fluid

ez76 Guest

Default Tranny fluid

Do you guys know if oil flows freely between the transfer case and transaxle or if they are sealed and separate? My mechanic insists they share fluid?

Default Tranny fluid

Your mechanic is wrong.

Default Tranny fluid

Quote Originally Posted by warpspeed
    Well I just couldn't wait. I changed all the fluids(tranny/xfer/diff). My god, I couln't believe what I saw. I wish I had my digital camera charged up so I could have taken pictures of the drain plugs. The tranny plug had alot and I mean alot of metal filings. Actually all of them. I only have 2800 miles on the car and I don't even dog the car. I could just imagine if I did drive the crap out of this Evo. It was funny too when I drained the xfer case. It came out like "snot." It was thick and dirty. Funny though the tranny and everything else was quiet. I changed the fluids because I was bored. I used all GL-5 Redline 75-90 if anyone wants to know. I know some guys use MT90 for the tranny GL-4, but I heard that the GL-5 was alittle more slippery so I am trying that and if I run into any problems, I'll used MT-90. So to sum it all up, if you haven't changed you tranny fluid/xfer/diff. change it as soon as possible.

Noel
    Did it look something like this?

That was mine with 3500 on the clock. No way was I waiting until 30K as recommended in the manual :shock:

Default Tranny fluid

Hell ya! It looked like that. I guess that the tolerance on the drivetrain is really small. I thought there was something wrong. When I drained my tranny on my 5 speed Honda with 80K on it, I didn't see anything like this, and I put a big ass magnet on the drain plug that I found at work and it was clean. I guess I will do more fluid changes on the drivetrain alot sooner. Hopefully as the car wears somemore that the filings would lessen.

Noel
    My girlfriend asked me: "It's either me or the car!".............Boy I miss her cooking.

Default Re: Tranny fluid

bringing this one back, just for information.

I changed my drivetrain fluids at 5k miles (and ~8 days on track). Tranny fluid was nasty, TC was mildly dirty and rear diff was clean. Put diaqueen in tc and rear-diff and Redline MT90 in tranny.

Changed tranny fluid again this weekend after 7 days on track at 9300 miles: the plug was pretty clean and the fluid was quite clear. Granted I'm usually pretty easy on the tranny but nonetheless I was surprised how clean it was. Mine is a 5sp.

well for the guys above, there HAS to be some wear and tear on the gears. That's what makes it shift smoother. From the factory they actually make the gears so that it's like they have already had some wear on them so that they shift smoother. When i took a look at my whole tranny all torn apart he showed me what a brand new one looks like from the factory and what a brand new one looks like that had been untouched. Both feel about the same but you do grind gears a bit with the untouched gears and synchros, but you have a LOT more room to wear before you get close to factory. Just a bit of info. But im sure there were tons of shavings off the brand new ones...

revival of this thread:
    Since Diaqueen has price differences between stealerships, someone correct me. Because i'm ordering this stuff tommorrow :x
    3 qts. of Redline MT90
    2 qt. of Redline Heavy Shock proof? (TC/Diff)
    Changing clutch might aswell take care of these at the same time.
    Fuk Sho Let&#39;s Go<br />Oni-Moto/Raging Bull Productions/Team SLOW/Emperor<br /><br /><br />

Transmission I am running 2 quarts of Redline MT and 1 quart of Redline MT90 mixed to make the Mitsubishi recommended viscosity. It shows this on the Redline web site for the Evo.
    Car Detailing Enthusiast

can you guys tell me the diffrences between running the redline mt 90 and the bg syncroshift 2? and which local shops carry these items?

05 MR<br />http://www.carsponsors.com/168031<br />^^check out my car

For tranny fluid, just go to autozone and pick up some Pennzoil Synchromesh. That stuff worked better than the redline MTL/MT90 mix for me, and I've stuck with it since. It's cheaper too at $6-7/qt.

I'd go to one of the local shops to get Diaqueen. It's worth going through the extra trouble to get.. especially for our t-case.