Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: heel-toe/rev-match

Default heel-toe/rev-match

Quote Originally Posted by missred
    I myself do the same while driving on the street, rev-matching and heel and toe..although I have not gone to the track yet, I believe practice makes perfect. when I do go to the track or autoX Im definitly inquiring with many of you to critique my technique...
    First few times on the track heel-toeing will be the last thing on your mind.
    05 Evo 8 - 333 whp / 318wtq - Tanabe DP, TP, Modified 3" noir cat back, GM boost solenoid, Walboro FP, RC 1000cc injectors, E-85

Hey sorry just want to make sure im on the right page, Double-Clutch is when your almost at redline or watever, you hit the clutch, rpms jump and you shift right when it hits rev limit right? Can someone explain heel/toe too? Hey Thomas where do you go practice your drving skills at? parking lots? I live in Sac too and Dont kno any good empty lots where the Popos arent hiding out at...

that is not double clutch
    05 Evo 8 - 333 whp / 318wtq - Tanabe DP, TP, Modified 3" noir cat back, GM boost solenoid, Walboro FP, RC 1000cc injectors, E-85

Quote Originally Posted by hagakure
    Double clutching is effective, but much slower on the track. To drive as fluently and efficiently as possible on the track, it is well worth the time to master "heel-toe". you find that you upset the chasis much less, are better able to balance the car before turning in upon entry. Awkward at first, but then becomes like any other kinetic, learned athletic excercise.

Percy
    So how many track days did it take for you to get comfortable with the heel and toe?

Emperor

SpeedElement
    Gst
    OniSF
    DetailAddict

I dug up some old video that I compiled a while back and shows you a good example how heel/toe and double clutch is done at the track. Keep watching the footwork these drivers are doing and the heel/toe combo shift is within half of the video. Until you get to 1:40 in the video, double clutch is done and it's done fast.

Here's the video dedicated to dohcvtec :
    http://d5.yousendit.com/F/2Q1TV36TAM...DC2RvsDC5R.wmv

Double Clutch
    Car in gear > clutch in > put gear to neutral > clutch out > clutch in > engage next gear > clutch out

Heel/Toe = Rev match

btw... i use heel/toe everyday or whenever I drive the Evo or any other manual car I get a hold of. Having a perfect heel/toe shift will vary from the persons foot size. The distance of the brake and gas pedals will have an impact depending on your foot size. The Honda StooK to me has the best feel, smooth heel/toe I've done because of the small foot size I have and the pedals were right next to each other. My friends '05 C230 Kompressor was one of the hardest heel/toe I've done because of brake and gas pedal distance which were too far apart. :?

Quote Originally Posted by dohcvtec
    that is not double clutch
    Wats double clutch then? Some people at the raceway told me that was double clutch... :lol:

vtluu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRicer
    Wats double clutch then?
    What DB8GSR said. Useful for babying your synchros when downshifting or avoiding grinding when shifting after you've failed to baby your synchros. :lol:

No-one on a racetrack double-clutches if they can help it--it's slow (doubles or triples your shift time). Just use the synchros (if they work) or get a dogbox and jam it into gear and forget about it.

For a nice example of heel-toe and (especially) left-foot braking, check out this old-school Audi rally video: mms://a178.v096910.c9691.e.vc.akamaistream.net/7/178/9691/v0009/audi.download.akamai.com/9691/history/04_mh/07_rallye_physik_b.wmv

I can barely do it with my size 13's. I think I need a big ass brake pedal like Boris Said maybe I sit too close
    [img]

Quote Originally Posted by missred
    So how many track days did it take for you to get comfortable with the heel and toe?
    It's hard to explain. I never had to "get comfortable" with it while on the racetrack because I do it on the street everyday. It becomes natural to heel/toe so you don't even think about. Kinda like using the clutch or shifting into a gear. You don't think about it, it just happens. I don't advise practicing heel/toe on the racetrack until it becomes 2nd nature to you. Plenty of other stuff to concentrate on.
    Quote Originally Posted by "bdking57"
    The bar significantly increases chasis stiffness and I found I could break traction on all 4 tires pretty easily.
    <br />

Quote Originally Posted by MitsuMan
    I can barely do it with my size 13's. I think I need a big ass brake pedal like Boris Said maybe I sit too close
    You're saying you need a bigger brake pedal to heel/toe? :methods4:
    Quote Originally Posted by &quot;bdking57&quot;
    The bar significantly increases chasis stiffness and I found I could break traction on all 4 tires pretty easily.
    <br />