Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: heel-toe/rev-match

Default heel-toe/rev-match

sup fellas,

i know some of y'all use heel/toe and rev matching. i kno i do, on the street (never been on the track with evo, yet), but juss seeing if anybody else does.

of course, some of yous are gonna say, "why would you use heel/toe on the street?" so heres what im gonna reply, "because every time i sit in my evo, its an ultimate driving experience. and with that, i like to perfect and practice my skills as a driver, including, but not limited to, launching, shifting and turning..." so yea...

dont worry guys, ill be seeing some of you at the track soon enough.

just fyi, i learned by watching videos and lotsa practice, so hopefully ill have professional criticism to add to it. :lol:
    Using No Way as Way, Having No Limitation as Limitation

Default Re: heel-toe/rev-match

Quote Originally Posted by thomas
    sup fellas,

i know some of y'all use heel/toe and rev matching. i kno i do, on the street (never been on the track with evo, yet), but juss seeing if anybody else does.

of course, some of yous are gonna say, "why would you use heel/toe on the street?" so heres what im gonna reply, "because every time i sit in my evo, its an ultimate driving experience. and with that, i like to perfect and practice my skills as a driver, including, but not limited to, launching, shifting and turning..." so yea...

dont worry guys, ill be seeing some of you at the track soon enough.

just fyi, i learned by watching videos and lotsa practice, so hopefully ill have professional criticism to add to it. :lol:
    i have vids of it....and how to do so maybe i should bust out that DVD! woohoo! hehe
    [size=10px]-Clarion DRZ9255 CD head unit
    <br />-PPI PAR 245, PPI DEQ-230, PPI PCX480
    <br />-StreetWires ZN5.0, Dynamat Extreme
    <br />-Shorty Antenna, TEIN S.Tech, EVO VIII UK Badge
    <br />-Focal Utopia 165W3 (front) -Focal Utopia 165W (rear)
    <br />-JL Audio 13W7 subwoofer -JL Audio 1000/1 subwoofer amplifier
    <br />-Optima Blue Top battery
    <br />-HKS Super High Flow drop-in air filter
    <br />-Ralliart Titanium Oil Cap, Royal Purple Oil, K&amp;N High Flow Oil filter, Redline Water Wetter,
    <br />Speed Source metal shift cable + shifter base bushings, B&amp;M SS short shifter + SS shift knob,
    <br />Defi VSD Basis,
    <br />Helix goodies...
    <br />Works Clutch + Brakelines,
    <br />-XD5 5800 kevlin H11 bulbs (55 watt)
    <br />-Clifford AvantGarde 4, BlackJax, TurboTimer,
    <br />Smart Windows, Remote Engine Start...Etc...
    <br />
    <br />Upcoming mods, Perrin rear strut bar,
    <br />ARC titanium trunk bar, cusco titanium front strut bar, Kick panels...
    <br />HID fog lights, MR tail lights
    <br />
    <br />sponsored by http://www.entercybertron.com[/size]

tommy, i'll teach you now to do heel toe when we meet up next.
    EVO X
    WORKS P2 Flash 294WHP/299WTQ
    WORKS Drop in Filter
    WORKS GFB
    WORKS Rear Sway Bar
    HKS Legamax
    HKS IC Pipe
    KW Variant 3
    5Zigen ZR+520 18x9.5 265/35
    I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and i need them tonight. Youre lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, its like this. If i lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if i win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, thats more important.

Quote Originally Posted by nebolic
    hahaha, you read my post wrong. i use it, and was asking if anybody else did.

thx for the offer 8)
    Using No Way as Way, Having No Limitation as Limitation

Quote Originally Posted by thomas
    Quote Originally Posted by nebolic
    hahaha, you read my post wrong. i use it, and was asking if anybody else did.

thx for the offer 8)
    hahaha how bout u show me....in your evo?
    [size=10px]-Clarion DRZ9255 CD head unit
    <br />-PPI PAR 245, PPI DEQ-230, PPI PCX480
    <br />-StreetWires ZN5.0, Dynamat Extreme
    <br />-Shorty Antenna, TEIN S.Tech, EVO VIII UK Badge
    <br />-Focal Utopia 165W3 (front) -Focal Utopia 165W (rear)
    <br />-JL Audio 13W7 subwoofer -JL Audio 1000/1 subwoofer amplifier
    <br />-Optima Blue Top battery
    <br />-HKS Super High Flow drop-in air filter
    <br />-Ralliart Titanium Oil Cap, Royal Purple Oil, K&amp;N High Flow Oil filter, Redline Water Wetter,
    <br />Speed Source metal shift cable + shifter base bushings, B&amp;M SS short shifter + SS shift knob,
    <br />Defi VSD Basis,
    <br />Helix goodies...
    <br />Works Clutch + Brakelines,
    <br />-XD5 5800 kevlin H11 bulbs (55 watt)
    <br />-Clifford AvantGarde 4, BlackJax, TurboTimer,
    <br />Smart Windows, Remote Engine Start...Etc...
    <br />
    <br />Upcoming mods, Perrin rear strut bar,
    <br />ARC titanium trunk bar, cusco titanium front strut bar, Kick panels...
    <br />HID fog lights, MR tail lights
    <br />
    <br />sponsored by http://www.entercybertron.com[/size]

hahaa my bad, but yeah i'll show you ;-) btw they teach you all these driving techniques in Europe when you learn how to drive.
    EVO X
    WORKS P2 Flash 294WHP/299WTQ
    WORKS Drop in Filter
    WORKS GFB
    WORKS Rear Sway Bar
    HKS Legamax
    HKS IC Pipe
    KW Variant 3
    5Zigen ZR+520 18x9.5 265/35
    I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and i need them tonight. Youre lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, its like this. If i lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if i win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, thats more important.

i do. i gotta downshift on the street just like i wud on a track, and its just smoother...
    vishnu stage 1++, quaife, ohlins<br />290whp on the vishnu dyno w/ a cat

vtluu Guest

I use heel-toe going into turns and practice it when stopping at red lights. Also, I rev-match/blip the throttle whenever downshifting. If you're at the edge of traction a rough downshift can cause you to break loose (seen that 350Z vid?). Granted I'm rarely near the "edge" when driving on the street, but that makes it that much safer to practice for when I am.

There's a pretty good heel-toe tutorial at http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving..._heeltoe.lasso

ez76 Guest

Do you experts downshift through every gear or go directly to your target gear after braking first?

vtluu Guest

The rev difference when downshifting by more than one gear is obvious bigger so rev-matching is more difficult. I think it really depends how hard you're braking/how fast you're slowing down. On a turn I imagine you want to hit the gear that you'll need to go fast out of that turn. If I'm slowing down gradually and can't anticipate when exactly I'll need to speed up again (for example driving in moderate traffic) I'll downshift through each gear. For example, coming gradually to a red light, I'll downshift through each gear (except 1st) in case the light turns green before I come to a complete stop.

Definitely wouldn't call myself an expert though. TurnFast.com has some tips on shifting as well: http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving...shifting.lasso