Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EVO vs STI vs R8 vs GTR vs Elise vs 911

Default Re: EVO vs STI vs R8 vs GTR vs Elise vs 911

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo8
    Quote Originally Posted by ZK
    The hatch is good for practicality... If only they made the STI look better. There's some good looking hatches out there but the STI is certainly not one of them.
    I think the front looks awesome. hatch ftl though
    Had to agree with you on that one stevo8. With the right lip, the front looks good.

I still like the a 4 door sedan (EVO X) over a hatchback.
    That hatch is teh sex
    05 Evo 8 - 333 whp / 318wtq - Tanabe DP, TP, Modified 3" noir cat back, GM boost solenoid, Walboro FP, RC 1000cc injectors, E-85

One thing I do wonder is, the Evo X's being tested in mags \ online mags these days...I wonder if they're using the Mitsu factory re-flash, or the original...

Quote Originally Posted by leaveit2bevo
    most of them (not all) seem to complain that the STI is being compared to other significantly more expensive cars, so "of course it's going to lose!" ...and they don't mention the similar priced Evo X MR coming in 3rd Â*

anyway, funny read as well

My '05 WW Evo / my '99 FGP Prelude:
    http://superfleajq.myownfreeweb.com/

Subaru really f*cked up this time with the new hatchback model. Understeer king FTL! LOL...
    Understeer is easier to fix than a crap interior, like Steve said, and the hatch configuration makes it much more useful than a "sedan" with a trunk space not much bigger than most convertibles. How you tink Subaru "f*cked up" with a hatch, is beyond me, when cars like the Mazda 3 hatch are doing well (you see more Mazda 3 hatches than sedans).
    - Jason

94 Sentra
    03 Santa Cruz Blur
    06 Some Other Car

Have you seen my girlfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy@SpeedElement
    My stock MR did a 1:29.348 with Frank Lin behind the wheel. I would say that the GTR is pretty damn fast!

10 Frank Lin 1:29.348 Volk Racing / Toyo Tires

WOW, you let Frank Lin drive your car...WOW, thats ballsy. :shock:
    - Jason

94 Sentra
    03 Santa Cruz Blur
    06 Some Other Car

I've known Frank for a long time, and despite what people say about him and the way he comes off online, I know that he is a good person and a good driver.
    Thanks for the Memories!
    First West Coast EVO9 in the 10's Sean G.
    First West Coast EVO9 in the 11's stock turbo Sean G.
    First West Coast EVO9 in the 11's stock turbo pump gas Sean G.
    BOTI Sac Raceway 07' ST/AWD Top Elim Andy C.
    SCCA SF XP Champ 08' Dennis H.
    Redline TA 08' Cali Speedway 1:47.793 Modified Runner Up Andre H.
    Super Street Time Attack 08' Buttonwillow #13 1:53.229 Modified Runner Up Andre H.
    Super Street Time Attack 07' Buttonwillow #13 1:55.563 Modified Runner Up Andre H.

Quote Originally Posted by EV0LL

Subaru really f*cked up this time with the new hatchback model. Understeer king FTL! LOL...
    How you tink Subaru "f*cked up" with a hatch, is beyond me, when cars like the Mazda 3 hatch are doing well (you see more Mazda 3 hatches than sedans).
    We are talking about AWD cars here bro. Not FWD. I am also not comparing hatchbacks here. I am comparing the new STI hatch to the new EVO X.

The reason why I said that "Subaru really f*cked up this time with the new hatchback model" is that when STI's were still 4-door sedans, competition between the EVO was pretty fierce, but when Subaru came out with the new STI hatch, the poor hatch cannot even outperform the new EVO X.

To be honest, when the new STI hatch came out, I really prefer the styling of the car over the X. I was also about to purchase one after I saw it at the San Francisco auto show. Interior wise, the STI wins, but performance wise, the EVO X takes it. It's the reviews on magazines and online automotive articles that got me. It's the performance that made me not purchase the car.

After reading a lot of magazines, I have to admit that the new STI cannot keep up with the new EVO any longer. I am talking here pitting the two cars against each other right out of the box. Modifying them is another story. Anyways, almost all magazines I read and reviews posted online on both cars state that the EVO X is a better performing car than the new STI hatch.
    &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; <br /><br />[quote author=bryan@GST link=topic=31207.msg532273#msg532273 date=1214857352]<br />Ryan gates was only 4 tenths of a second slower than us and all it has is robi kw V3&#39;s, exhaust, reflash and some light motor supporting mods.<br /><br />It has renewed my faith in mitsu. The evo 10 is 100% still a Evo, and a damn good version at that.<br />[/quote]

Ya it is puzzling that the performance gap between the two is so wide as it appears (due to said reviews) as the gap was much closer between the two old cars. Hopefully, Subaru will pull its head out of its ass and fix the steering issue at least.

What kills me about the X is that the trunk is so effing small for how big the car is, I could probably live with the interior cheapness (which my improve over time) but unless I bought the X for pure driving fun, its less practical/nice than my 9.

I guess really the best thing to do is wait and see, since both Mitsu and Subaru are known for tweaking the cars year to year.
    - Jason

94 Sentra
    03 Santa Cruz Blur
    06 Some Other Car

I dunno, I've driven both on the street and I thought the STi felt better overall. Better steering, felt lighter, sounded better, felt more nimble with a much more active rear end.

On the track it might be a different story.

What kills me about the X is that the trunk is so effing small for how big the car is, I could probably live with the interior cheapness (which my improve over time) but unless I bought the X for pure driving fun, its less practical/nice than my 9.

I guess really the best thing to do is wait and see, since both Mitsu and Subaru are known for tweaking the cars year to year.
    That is also my issue with the X. Trunk space. I noticed that too when I went to El Cerrito mitsu with my wife to check the X out.

Just like my previous post in this thread, the trunk space on the X is quite small IMO. It may be hard to fit a golf club bag in there. I also noticed that the sub takes a lot of space in the trunk.

Hopefully Subaru will recognize the performance deficiency and fix it accordingly. For now, we'll just wait and see...

Bryan,
    I will take the STI anytime for my DD, but I also plan to make my DD my weekend warrior as well. So the X takes my vote.
    &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; <br /><br />[quote author=bryan@GST link=topic=31207.msg532273#msg532273 date=1214857352]<br />Ryan gates was only 4 tenths of a second slower than us and all it has is robi kw V3&#39;s, exhaust, reflash and some light motor supporting mods.<br /><br />It has renewed my faith in mitsu. The evo 10 is 100% still a Evo, and a damn good version at that.<br />[/quote]

That is also my issue with the X. Trunk space. I noticed that too when I went to El Cerrito mitsu with my wife to check the X out.

Just like my previous post in this thread, the trunk space on the X is quite small IMO. It may be hard to fit a golf club bag in there. I also noticed that the sub takes a lot of space in the trunk.

Hopefully Subaru will recognize the performance deficiency and fix it accordingly. For now, we'll just wait and see...

Bryan,
    I will take the STI anytime for my DD, but I also plan to make my DD my weekend warrior as well. So the X takes my vote.
    So if the STI is a better daily driver, and the issue is basically that it understeers too much, then why wouldnt you just buy a STI and stick a sway bar on it? :? Not to mention that most people who track their cars will eventually be running some coilovers. IMO people put WAY too much thought into stupid magazine tests, I mean the difference between the two is so negligible it really makes no sense to base a $30k+ purchase on it. I have a piece of crap car that had all the creature comforts sacrificed for performance and I cant tell you one thing, if someone told me they were to make my car a quality built daily driver that I would enjoy driving on the street but I would be 1-2sec slower on the track, I would gladly do it.
    Eat me