Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 120k now and counting...

Default 120k now and counting...

117k now on my Evo. Bought it back in late 04. It's an 03. Had 10k miles on it. It's been through
    -2.5 Sierra Nevada winters
    -Spun out twice in the snow, one time went into a snow bank
    -Did half a season of auto-x and then got lazy and decided to mod instead of auto-x
    -Too many late night mountain runs to count
    -Too many late night blasts up 80 to Truckee to count
    -Drove from Truckee to Fresno to Truckee every weekend for three months
    -Since the day I bought it, every on-ramp has been a 7k full throttle romp
    -A couple days at Sac raceway, some late night "launch" practicing.

...maintenance.....

-Clutch finally died at 116k.

-Oil changed RELIGIOUSLY every 3k! a couple times at 2700 or 2500 for good measure
    If your oil remains dirty looking even after a fresh oil change, you can drain a quart of oil out before you change it and fill it with ATF. Do a low rpm drive with the engine fully warm around the block a couple times, and then drain everything out. The ATF will break down all the deposits and sludge in the engine and you'll have fresh oil again. Don't do this though if your car is burning or leaking oil. It will break down the deposits that are keeping the engine from burning/leaking more oil, and you'll burn and leak EVEN MORE oil! :lol:

You may or may not know this, but if you have to use an aftermarket oil filter, and the parts store hands you a skinny long filter, it's the wrong one. It will fit, but it's made for a regular Lancer. The Evo filter is fat and stubby. WIX makes an awesome filter that you can get from NAPA if you can't get an OEM filter. The anti-drain back valve in the WIX is good. I used a K&N filter once and my car was shuddering at start up in 0 degree weather. I couldn't figure it out, and realized that it was the filter after I did an oil change, and went back to the WIX. Uber expensive K&N filter for the lose. WIX or OEM only for me.

-Sets of tires bought for the car (of course 4 everytime)... Falken Ziex 512/Kuhmo Ecsta ASX/Pirelli P6 Four Seasons/Falken Ziex 912, next set is going to be Sumitomo HTRZ III in a couple thousand miles.
    Pirelli P6 four seasons are the absolute suck for tires! Unless you are looking for an all season tire that will perform well in snow but is not a true snow tire, don't buy this tire. On the flip side, I really like the 912s. Great all around tire, with good wear, and quiet ride. (The Kuhmo ASXs were freakin' loud on the highway!) At speed in rain is like "What rain?", and good dry handling to match. Sucks in snow though. Probably the worst of all the all season tires in the snow. Real drivers don't need snow tires, even if you live in it, and drive through it daily in the winter. 8)

-Just did my second timing belt job last week. Main seal started leaking 20k or so after first one. First one was done at 75k. Replaced timing belt, balance belt, front seal, oil pump seal, this time. Checked water pump (replaced at 75k also) and tensioner, idlers but didn't replace them. Should have done the seals when I did the first one.
    A little trick I learned from the absolute Gurus in the automotive repair biz is to put a thin layer of silicone on the outside of an oil seal (front/rear main seals, oil pump seal, etc.) and a thin layer of high temp grease on the inside before you install the seal. The silicone on the outside helps prevent damage to the seal and helps it slide in easy. When it dries, the silicone also helps to seal everything better. The grease on the inside part of the seal where it usually contacts a rotating shaft will help keep the seal working longer.

-Going to be doing my fourth complete drivetrain service, along with my fourth coolant service. Always did them religiously at ever 30k together. Have always used diaqueen for entire drivetrain. Coolant is always Preston green mixed 60/40 (water/coolant) with distilled water ONLY.

-On second serpentine belt. NOTE: Delco, Gates Gatorbacks, and Continental belts are probably the best to use. I prefer Conti belts over OEM btw. Awesome belts, but a little hard to come by. This applies to the timing/balance/serpentine belt. I'm using Conti timing and balance belt and a Delco serpentine. The Delco serpentine has shown to be more rugged than my OEM one. The OEM was cracking bad at 50k. The Delco was the replacement and still hasn't started cracking yet.

-Went through 4 HKS filters and 3 Outerwears prefilters made for the HKS filter, then bought a "GST" "Buschur first gen" filter to replace the HKS, but kept the HKS pipe. Now actually, I'm running an APS cold air extension intake and the GST filter is collecting dust in my closet next to the HKS filter, front mesh, intercooler spray bottle, spare tire, jack/tools, stock IC pipes, stock O2 housing, stock injectors, and stock boost solenoid assembly. Stock exhaust and cat are lost in the snow.... some.... where.... not.... here.... :shock:

-Probably have gone through 5 or 6 sets of NGK BPR8ES copper plugs. Can't remember, because I just changed them out when I feel they need to be replaced.

-Seafoamed my car at 90k
    This stuff WORKS! If you have your hesitations about using it, don't. Oh, and only use it to suck through a vacuum line, don't pour it into your gas tank, or in your oil like the instructions on the bottle tell you to.

-Going to need brakes all around again.
    Don't throw away your factory shims, reuse them, or else your brakes will make noise and squeal and people will infinitely tell you your brakes are bad

-Every oil change, I use a turkey baster to suck up some brake fluid from the reservior (I take it all the way down to the MIN line) and then fill it up with brand new fluid. My brake fluid, even though the car has over 100k miles is as clear as a brand new Evo's.
    You can do this with the power steering fluid as well so that it remains clean and doesn't break down. Old fluid that's been progressively breaking down will wear out the steering gear and lead to other problems. I use DEX III or better ATF when I do this. The life of ATF is about 100k miles at about 60 degrees F. As you go past that temperature, the life shortens drastically. At 220 degrees, it's life is less than a third at 60. ATF that's been broken down is basically just gumming up the internals. So it doesn't hurt to have a bottle around to do a little exchange every oil change. Your rack will thank you

-Running on Eibach springs with stock shocks. Ride quality is better than stock, drop is lower than most springs I've seen, and is an even drop, no rake. Going to switch out to something with a more aggressive spring rate because it feels too soft in fast transitions.
    When I went to do my alignment, I discovered that I could not get the rear toe back into spec. I do my own alignments, so after beating my head over it, I said fuck it, and took a grinder and widened the oblong hole that the rear eccentric bolt goes through for the toe arm, and viola! Got my toe back in spec!

some tidbits...

Helix cam gears cracked on me, and started making a horrible "shuunk, shuunk, shuunk" noise. Took them out and put stockers back in. Fuck it!
    Helix gears are made of aluminum, and after taking them out and inspecting them, I found that there is very little material between the "spokes". This is going to be a key thing to look for personally when I buy my next set of gears. Stock is fine for me now. If you have Helix cam gears, get rid of them now.

I've broken my Injen lower IC pipe doing excessively rough mountain roads. It cracked pretty bad.
    The Injen lower IC pipe, and others built like it don't have enough flex from the rubber couplers and over time will stress the welds and pipe enough to where it will crack. Take a look at the AMS lower IC pipe and you'll understand what I'm talking about. That's what I replaced it with

All the mesh in front of my bumper I ripped out because they weren't black anymore from all the gravel and pebbles on 80 smashing against my car during the winter snow driving.

Spent 2 hours painstakingly "dotting" in rock chips on my front end with a touch up pen because I knew a paint job wasn't going to last me, and I couldn't stand looking at the white specks against the red paint. :x

Have a set of spare rear arms I got off E-bay.... because I was living in snow country... and I liked to do a bit of "touge" in the snow.....

Bent my original set of Enkeis. The ones on my car now came from Dee (IncrEVOVIII) I think is his screen name.

...more to come when I can re-collect it.... :P

This car is expensive to own, and that's before mods. :?

I'll also add, that the car has been awesome and super reliable. I drive my daughter around in it all the time and she likes it just fine. Aside from what I did to it, and the maintenance, it hasn't given me any problems.
    Last edited by nightwalker; 01-28-2009 at 08:48 PM.
    VROOOOOOOOM, PSSHH!!!

Default Re: 117k and counting...

what a warrior :lol:

thats badass man, these kind of stories give your evo alot of character imho, sure you'll probably get a couple bucks for the thing if you trade it in :lol: but thats badass props to you
    Proud Supporter of Speed Element and Leo aka Detail Addict

Welcome to the 100K club
    - Rod

Dang...another 2k and you will have passed my mileage by 100k...

DD
    08 SCCA SFR XP Champion...
    Thanks SpeedElement for your support...

daily driven evo's ftw!

Daily driven, and beat'n... 118 coming in a couple days. At 200k, I'm taking the engine apart to do a full inspection figure out what kind of rebuild I'm going to do and I'll record the findings then.

Can you say 4G63>all other turbo 4's!
    VROOOOOOOOM, PSSHH!!!

Default Re: 120k now and counting...

Hit 120,482 today. Been driving a slipping clutch since 116k. It's really bad now. ACT MB7-HDSS and lightweight flywheel has been ordered and should be here in a couple days. Damn, shit for this car is expensive! Also bought two tins of Diaqueen (sae 90-gl5 and 75w-90 gl4), real main seal, and the two o-rings that go in between the trans and transfer case. Would have liked to install the whiteline steering precision kit, but spent too much money already.

Also bought a used Evo9 turbo from 1SloEvo. Turbo ended up having chips in the compressor wheel. Fortunately there is no shaft play. Measurements are ok. Checked it against my other 8 turbo with less than 10k on it, and the measurements are almost identical.

In the process, I ordered up a new 9 compressor wheel and housing because I'm going to experiment a little with porting. Well, it turns out that turning an 8 turbo into a 9 turbo is just changing the compressor wheel and housing. Attaining the o-ring and C clip, and having the whole assembly balanced. If you can find the parts for a good price, you don't have to spend the extra money for a 9 turbo.

With the Perrin upper IC pipe, AMS lower, HKS intake, APS intake, Helix cams, PTE880cc injectors, 9 turbo, ported hotside and compressor, ported exhaust manifold, new throttle body shaft seals, Edge racing O2 housing, TBE, and lighweight flywheel, I hope to do 300+ at the wheels.

The goal is a nice useable and broad power band for late night mountain runs, and auto-x.

Future project will be uprated head studs, and rod bolts, and run E-85 on a second map once more stations become available.
    VROOOOOOOOM, PSSHH!!!

Kool. You're catching up to me.

I'm currently at 128k + and I hardly drive anymore. Taking advantage of BART to work
    - Rod

Nice. That's very impressive! These motors can't handle some insane abuse.

Sorry to hear about the turbo having shavings in it. I didn't really do too much inspecting inside the compressor housing itself. Just checked the shaft play of it...which as you mentioned was minimal. Can't wait to see this thing laying down some good power with this many miles.