Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you need to clay bar your car?

Default Re: Why do you need to clay bar your car?

depending on the temp and amount of sunlight you get and how fast you are able to work. you don't have to dry. but if the car drys up before you are done with the clay bar, then dry the car with blower or MF first. You can then use either detail spray or distill water... if your car drys too fast you'll get water spot regardless what you use. depending on the condition of the car, I would go straight to polish or actually give it another rinse. a lot of these things are really case by case...

well i use it just as a lubricant, i still follow up with a wax.

theres so much personal preference when it comes to detailing and maintaining paint, i clay bar as often as i wax, every 3-6 months. which is how often i actually wash it with water. otherwise, i use a duster twice daily, and a paint gloss/terry cloth combo every few days to soften it back up. im garage parked though so that helps in the infrequent washes cars the cleanest and smothest on the block, everyday

it all depends on how you keep your car. If it's under cover and you polish and wax a lot, you probably don't have to do it as often as you do now.

here is a good test... get a 'thin' plastic bag as a glove, run down the body 'gently' AFTER a good wash. If the body panel is bumpy, it's time to clay. Otherwise, just go straight to polish and wax.

Quote Originally Posted by chefnevo
    General question: How often do you caly bar? ...I do once or twice a month.

after rinsing I just keep hitting it with water then wash it again to keep the water spots away.

i will soak the clay bar as best as possible in the solution im moisturising the paint with, and frequently spray a mist over the area im working.....never ever ever ever use on dry surface, the wetter the better i say

yes, at the end, whatever you are using, it just service as a lubricant. without it, your clay bar won't move very far... :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by SavageEvo8
    i will soak the clay bar as best as possible in the solution im moisturising the paint with, and frequently spray a mist over the area im working.....never ever ever ever use on dry surface, the wetter the better i say

Quote Originally Posted by DetailAddict
    it all depends on how you keep your car. If it's under cover and you polish and wax a lot, you probably don't have to do it as often as you do now.

here is a good test... get a 'thin' plastic bag as a glove, run down the body 'gently' AFTER a good wash. If the body panel is bumpy, it's time to clay. Otherwise, just go straight to polish and wax.

General question: How often do you Clay bar? ...I do once or twice a month.

after rinsing I just keep hitting it with water then wash it again to keep the water spots away.
    I thought polish basically sanded down the clear coat to get rid of the small scratches and imperfections.. so polishing would only be used if you have not waxed in some time? ..case point like the sti above.

The car is always garaged and also was garaged at work but I was commuting with evo, it tended to pick up a lot crap from the commute

Quote Originally Posted by DetailAddict
    yes, at the end, whatever you are using, it just service as a lubricant. without it, your clay bar won't move very far... :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by SavageEvo8

QFT! :lol:
    GST MOTORSPORTS|ONI-MOTO|Carebear Powa
    Nov 07 307 WHP & 285 WTQ
    May 08 304 WHP & 289 WTQ

yes, but there are MANY levels of polish. Sometime your applicator pad can be more abrasive than your polish (that's how you get swirl marks, which is different from spider webs). So if you go with the least abrasive one you'll be okay. And yes, if you wax your car like every 2 weeks and doing it "RIGHT", polish won't help (in terms of look) much.

I thought polish basically sanded down the clear coat to get rid of the small scratches and imperfections.. so polishing would only be used if you have not waxed in some time? ..case point like the sti above.

The car is always garaged and also was garaged at work but I was commuting with evo, it tended to pick up a lot crap from the commute

being garage kept only made it so i do it as little as possible. if it parks outside with elemnts like sun, dust, springlers, bugs, shit, then i would clay bar ery month or two, with periodic washes in between to keep it up. with mine inside and being dusted everyday with a california duster, i only was/wax/clay every 6 months or so

I always use a detail spray or clay lube with clay. If you just use water, it will mar your paint.

There are different grades of detailing clay but the most common "medium" ones you get in the stores will scratch your paint if not used properly. If you follow up with paint correction, it is usually okay but used by itself, clay will leave marks. You can use a "ultra fine" clay which usually does not have as much cut but also does not mar the paint as much. I can recommend Pinnacle or Sonus Ultra Fine clays which I use on more delicate paints. It usually takes multiple passes to get the same results as medium grade clay but is easier on the paint.

You really only need to clay 2-3 times a year. Sometimes more if your car is parked outside and gets a lot of contaminates stuck to it. Always follow up with protection as clay will strip it off.
    Car Detailing Enthusiast

So is "Mother's" clay not good? That's what I used to use