Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do you need to clay bar your car?

Default Re: Why do you need to clay bar your car?

I use the Mothers Clay Bar kit and came out with great results. Did the entire car a couple of months ago. As far as the dry/wet goes, I make sure my car is fully dry before applying that lubricant that comes with the kit. From there I begin the clay bar process.

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh_evo
    So is "Mother's" clay not good? That's what I used to use
    Mother's is fine... it's the typical medium grade clay. Just follow up with wax/sealant. The clay kit comes with the lubricant.
    Car Detailing Enthusiast

Actually there are 3 grades...

yellow/blue (this include Mother's) are fine grade - safe for new users
    purple is the medium - save you some time and effort, but you should know what you are doing
    gray is the heavy - what I use...

other than the grade level and size, all brands are pretty much the same. they all have to pay royalty to "Clay Magic".

Quote Originally Posted by DetailAddict

purple is the medium - save you some time and effort, but you should know what you are doing

other than the grade level and size, all brands are pretty much the same. they all have to pay royalty to "Clay Magic".
    Never knew that. What do you mean by "know what you are doing" is there a different way to clay bar with the medium and heavy grades?

when you say you use heavy, is that because your hitting cars that are really bad once every blue moon or would you use the heavy on the same car everytime you barred it?

method is all the same... just that the user should understand what clay bar is really doing to the paint surface. I've seen guys keep on working on the same spot and ended up with an halo effect (cut WAAAAAY too deep in a single spot).

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Evo Jai
    Quote Originally Posted by DetailAddict

Never knew that. What do you mean by "know what you are doing" is there a different way to clay bar with the medium and heavy grades?

I use heavy on every car that I work on. But since it's heavy grade, I don't have to go back and forth too many times. This saves me a lot of time in detailing. You can adjust the result by adjusting your pressure, size of the clay, as well as number of passes.

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by SavageEvo8
    when you say you use heavy, is that because your hitting cars that are really bad once every blue moon or would you use the heavy on the same car everytime you barred it?

Very good information. Is there a preferred brand for either the medium/heavy grades? I've only been using Mothers and that tiny play dough of a clay bar is a PITA to use. I heard that Meguiars has a kit but I can't find those anywhere.

they are pretty much the same other than grade and color. You just shop for the best price for the size in the grade you want.

I do carry this (Adam's Clay Bar), which is MUCH bigger than the ones you get from kragen/autozone/pepboys... and if you already have your own detail spray you don't have to buy one. They always make you buy the kit in the store...

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Evo Jai
    Very good information. Is there a preferred brand for either the medium/heavy grades? I've only been using Mothers and that tiny play dough of a clay bar is a PITA to use. I heard that Meguiars has a kit but I can't find those anywhere.

i like the idea of less pressure and less time when doing my barring, i will have to step up and try out the purple first before going to heavy, but ive been a clean freak with cars for years, so i feel comfortable enough using tools and cutters. what do you carry for a purple?