Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spark plugs--how/when to inspect and replace?

Default Spark plugs--how/when to inspect and replace?

its per piece :shock: damn oem cost too much thats why i got the copper instead less than $10 for all four

hey doug give mike a call at the shop so he can give you a qoute.when they worked on mine they were changing the o2 hosing also and i stayed till later to dyno the car after so i would say about 3-5 housr including cool down since i had to drive far to go there.

vtluu Guest

Thanks for the tip, I found this thread on SoCalEvo.net useful: http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3153

Looked up the Evo on the NGK website; the NGK part # for the stock "laser iridium" plugs is IGR7A-G but I can't seem to find those for sale (other than from Mitsubishi of course). The NGK BPR7EIX plugs for $6.53 :shock: each here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...5&a=FR100-4055

Not sure about the gap yet, it comes with 0.032 inches, but there seems some confusion as to what the stock gap is, 0.028" or 0.039". Maybe best bet will be just to measure the ones off the plugs I take out.

Said Jamie on EvoM: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showpos...69&postcount=8

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie@WORKS
    OEM plugs should be OK until 60K. It's a good idea to take them out a time or two to help prevent them from seizing down the road. If you go with a copper plug, you'll want to change them more often (12K-24K).

I stand by the BGK BPR7ES copper plug gapped at .028" Sure you'll replace them more often, but it's something I already do. Besides, they cost 1/10 the price while lasting 1/5 as long... you do the math and tell me what the better deal is I yanked my OEM plugs at about 7K and have been running the coppers since.

I ordered a set of Denso Iridium plugs with stock heat range.

I had good experience with these at my previous car, so I would like to try them in my EVO too.

I read some article about the gap of the plugs, and it basically says "bigger gap is better, but requires higher voltage". Because rich fuel/air mixture is harder to ignite, usually turbo applications have smaller gap than NA ones.

But according to Denso, their 0.4mm iridium tip, and U-groove electrode design can reduce the voltage requirements, so the pre-gapped 0.044'' gap is supposed to be fine with stock engine. But they say we can gap it if we want.

I think I will try with 0.044'' gap with Ralliart spark plug wires. (They suppose to deliver more voltage to the plugs) If it's not working, I will re-gap them later.

Here is the article from Denso FAQ list.

Q. Do I need to set the gap?
    A. Generally, no. The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration. DENSO Iridium Power’s ultra-efficient firing power compensates for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value. In the cases of vehicle modifications (nitrous, turbo-chargers, super-chargers, high power ignition systems, etc.), some adjustments may be desired. Or, if you prefer to remain consistent with factory specifications, you may adjust. However, please be careful not to place any stress on the fine center electrode during adjustment. You could accidentally break off the very hard, and therefore brittle, tip.

Quote Originally Posted by EvolvedDSM
    I stand by the BGK BPR7ES copper plug gapped at .028" Sure you'll replace them more often, but it's something I already do. Besides, they cost 1/10 the price while lasting 1/5 as long... you do the math and tell me what the better deal is I yanked my OEM plugs at about 7K and have been running the coppers since.
    Yeah, and on a turbo motor, it's allot easier to blow the spark out with coper plugs. The iridiums are not just sort of gimmick to get your cash.
    I really don't miss my 5.0.

Quote Originally Posted by ace33joe
    I ordered a set of Denso Iridium plugs with stock heat range.

I had good experience with these at my previous car, so I would like to try them in my EVO too.

I read some article about the gap of the plugs, and it basically says "bigger gap is better, but requires higher voltage". Because rich fuel/air mixture is harder to ignite, usually turbo applications have smaller gap than NA ones.

But according to Denso, their 0.4mm iridium tip, and U-groove electrode design can reduce the voltage requirements, so the pre-gapped 0.044'' gap is supposed to be fine with stock engine. But they say we can gap it if we want.

I think I will try with 0.044'' gap with Ralliart spark plug wires. (They suppose to deliver more voltage to the plugs) If it's not working, I will re-gap them later.

Here is the article from Denso FAQ list.

Q. Do I need to set the gap?
    A. Generally, no. The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration. DENSO Iridium Power’s ultra-efficient firing power compensates for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value. In the cases of vehicle modifications (nitrous, turbo-chargers, super-chargers, high power ignition systems, etc.), some adjustments may be desired. Or, if you prefer to remain consistent with factory specifications, you may adjust. However, please be careful not to place any stress on the fine center electrode during adjustment. You could accidentally break off the very hard, and therefore brittle, tip.
    I have a 1 step colder Denso plugs, u do not need to gap it you should have just ask me to give u my set!!
    To all those GT-R HATERS, See Below!
    White 2009 GT-R please =) says:
    wow, every fourm I go to... all GTR haters... whats going on..
    Wilson 1 says:
    lol,
    Wilson 1 says:
    where u go to
    umm.. NorCalEvo, m3, corvette Forum..
    Wilson 1 says:
    all those guys are totally jealous of u
    Wilson 1 says:
    forget them, bunch of losers

Quote Originally Posted by EvoVIII
    I have a 1 step colder Denso plugs, u do not need to gap it you should have just ask me to give u my set!!
    Hey, Doug. Didn't you have the Denso racing plugs? Mines are just regular Denso Iridium plugs with stock heat range. I appreciate your offer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ace33joe
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoVIII
    Hey, Doug. Didn't you have the Denso racing plugs? Mines are just regular Denso Iridium plugs with stock heat range. I appreciate your offer, though.
    those are NGK racing plugs which I sold it already
    To all those GT-R HATERS, See Below!
    wow, every fourm I go to... all GTR haters... whats going on..
    Wilson 1 says:
    lol,
    Wilson 1 says:
    where u go to
    umm.. NorCalEvo, m3, corvette Forum..
    Wilson 1 says:
    all those guys are totally jealous of u
    Wilson 1 says:
    forget them, bunch of losers

Quote Originally Posted by RonV
    Quote Originally Posted by EvolvedDSM
    Yeah, and on a turbo motor, it's allot easier to blow the spark out with coper plugs. The iridiums are not just sort of gimmick to get your cash.
    NGK copper=good enough for 30PSI=good enough for me

vtluu Guest

Okay, so the factory manual says the gap should be 0.7-0.8mm, so 0.8mm or 0.0315 inches on the high side. The NGK plugs I got come gapped at 0.032 inches, so they're 0.0005 inches or 0.013 mm (or 13 microns) above spec. That's roughly half the width of a human hair. Should I bother re-gapping it?