Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spark plugs--how/when to inspect and replace?

Default Spark plugs--how/when to inspect and replace?

I think that should be fine. Those gap gauges are only so accurate anyhow.
    [quote author=vtluu link=topic=12691.msg169983#msg169983 date=1158340218]<br />No law can save idiot CA drivers from themselves though. The best you can do is try to make sure they don&#039;t take you out in the process of Darwinning themselves.<br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by EvolvedDSM
    I stand by the BGK BPR7ES copper plug gapped at .028" Sure you'll replace them more often, but it's something I already do. Besides, they cost 1/10 the price while lasting 1/5 as long... you do the math and tell me what the better deal is I yanked my OEM plugs at about 7K and have been running the coppers since.
    So DSM plugs work? Same idea with the heat ranges and gaps as DSMs?

Scott

EDIT: FWIW you're not supposed to gap either iridium or platinum plugs because it can damage the electrode. And in the case of platinum it easily breaks the larger insulator.
    05 Evolution RS <br />04 Forester XT <br />91 Eclipse GSX<br />2 inch cock

hey guys i got a good one for you. a few months ago i decided to check my plugs. well this is the first time they have ever been removed from the car and sure enough one of the plugs was jacked it looked like when mitsu put the car together that they dropped one of my plugs because the top part of the plug was almost tuching the diode. i mean you couldnt get a gap tool in there if you tried. so i replaced them and man the car ran so much better. well the stock plug is NGK BPR7EIX and i went with NGK BPR8EIX because i needed one step colder because the oem plugs were white on top from over heating. i strongly suggest that you go with oem or NGK BPR7EIX (same plug) and stay away from denso. i noticed that denso plugs are shorter than the ngk so that means that they dont get in the center of the cylinder as well. allso you only need to go one step colder if you have lots of mods and are running more boost. oh yeah when gapping a iradium plug be careful they will break easily. ngk's website shows you how to do it the right way

vtluu Guest

The OEM plugs are the NGK IGR7A-G "Laser Iridium". The ones I got are the BPR7EIX "Iridium IX" which is their top-of-the-line iridium plug. Paid $6.22 ($7.55 shipped) a plug for the set of 4 from the following link: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...5&a=FR100-4055

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse
    Quote Originally Posted by EvolvedDSM
    I stand by the BGK BPR7ES copper plug gapped at .028" Sure you'll replace them more often, but it's something I already do. Besides, they cost 1/10 the price while lasting 1/5 as long... you do the math and tell me what the better deal is I yanked my OEM plugs at about 7K and have been running the coppers since.
    So DSM plugs work? Same idea with the heat ranges and gaps as DSMs?

Scott

EDIT: FWIW you're not supposed to gap either iridium or platinum plugs because it can damage the electrode. And in the case of platinum it easily breaks the larger insulator.
    For the most part, yes. The EVO heat range is one step colder to start with vs. a DSM.

Quote Originally Posted by vtluu
    The OEM plugs are the NGK IGR7A-G "Laser Iridium". The ones I got are the BPR7EIX "Iridium IX" which is their top-of-the-line iridium plug. Paid $6.22 ($7.55 shipped) a plug for the set of 4 from the following link: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...5&a=FR100-4055
    I think its time for a change, so how did these plugs work for you?

Emperor

SpeedElement
    Gst
    OniSF
    DetailAddict

Quote Originally Posted by RonV
    Yeah, and on a turbo motor, it's allot easier to blow the spark out with coper plugs. The iridiums are not just sort of gimmick to get your cash.
    FWIW, I only ran NGK BPR7ES on all my DSMs. $8 for a set of plugs can't be beat. I had no blow out or spark issues at 25psi of boost running 400whp.

So I would say depending on car, the Iridiums are unecessary. Earlyapex runs copper plugs in his MR and continues to rape everyone on track. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by &quot;bdking57&quot;
    The bar significantly increases chasis stiffness and I found I could break traction on all 4 tires pretty easily.
    <br />

Quote Originally Posted by methods4
    Quote Originally Posted by RonV
    Yeah, and on a turbo motor, it's allot easier to blow the spark out with coper plugs. The iridiums are not just sort of gimmick to get your cash.
    FWIW, I only ran NGK BPR7ES on all my DSMs. $8 for a set of plugs can't be beat. I had no blow out or spark issues at 25psi of boost running 400whp.

So I would say depending on car, the Iridiums are unecessary. Earlyapex runs copper plugs in his MR and continues to rape everyone on track. YMMV.
    Thanks for the info man, as far as gapping on the plug goes in the range of .028-.032 be okay?

Emperor

SpeedElement
    Gst
    OniSF
    DetailAddict

I changed mine out about 6 months ago... the ones I had in there were pretty nasty. With the evo you can almost feel when they need to be replaced.. you kinda of start feeling alot of hesitating and noticable blurps at part throttle. Also I think i read somewhere that the plug wires should be replaced every 60K miles.. I just ordered ralliart spark plug wires and I may try my luck with cooper plugs. If using the NGK iridiums in one step colder right now.. going with the colder plug give less chance of detonating, but at the cost of crappier idle

Default Re: Spark plugs--how/when to inspect and replace?

Here is a good link to check the condition of ur spark plugs and give an idea of whats going on in ur engine;

http://www.machv.com/diagsparplug.html