Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spark plugs--how/when to inspect and replace?

vtluu Guest

Default Spark plugs--how/when to inspect and replace?

N00b-ish question: my car's coming up on 24k miles, and I've read a few stories of people with relatively low mileage and fouled-up spark plugs. So I'm wondering, typically how often do sparkplugs need to be replaced? What if I drive the car hard (lots of track and auto-x events)? Is the right answer simply for me to inspect them and decide? (And what do I look for?) And is there any advantage of getting aftermarket vs. OEM sparkplugs, cost or performance-wise? (I figure, a spark is a spark as long as it ignites the fuel.) Finally, how exactly does one "gap" a sparkplug?

Read the Sticker on top of ur Sparkplug cover!! don't get after market plugs it doesn't do anything and it will mess up ur Top end, thats what I have seen b4 on my dyno graph.. and after I retune my car, is fine now with OEM spark plug
    To all those GT-R HATERS, See Below!
    White 2009 GT-R please =) says:
    wow, every fourm I go to... all GTR haters... whats going on..
    Wilson 1 says:
    lol,
    Wilson 1 says:
    where u go to
    umm.. NorCalEvo, m3, corvette Forum..
    Wilson 1 says:
    all those guys are totally jealous of u
    Wilson 1 says:
    forget them, bunch of losers

umm its all different doug hey tam autozone sells a cheap spark plug gapper for about a buck or so.ill take a pic of mine to show you or i can loan it to you since already changed my plugs.i have the old school type where you put a curved wire between the tip of the plug,thats for measuring.then the other side of it is to bend the arm either away or towards the tip of the plug.

afaik if the tip is black its rich then if its white its lean.i guess the ideal look would be like brownish.the copper plug has a better conductivity compared to the iridium but has a shorter life span.its not a huge difference but its a must for optimal performance

here's a cheap spark plug gapper

rest of the link is here http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=1083

vtluu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EvoVIII
    Read the Sticker on top of ur Sparkplug cover!!
    I'm pretty sure the only thing it says on top of the sparkplug cover is "MITSUBISHI" , or are we talking about different parts? (Or is there a sticker on the other side?)

lol there is a sticker on top that says only use oem plugs on mine

hey our Plugs is pregap already from the factory, but u can always double check it, btw did u change the Hotside of ur turbo urself Marcel?? how long did it take u?? any big gains out of it??
    Wilson 1 says:
    lol,
    Wilson 1 says:
    where u go to
    Wilson 1 says:
    Wilson 1 says:

gruppe-s installed my hotside i would love to try it but i dont want break things up :lol: gains noticeable for sure nothing like a kick in the nut :P

vtluu Guest

MD374841 is the OEM sparkplug(s), $18.35 from MitsubishiParts.net. Anybody know if the part number is for a single plug or does it come as a set of 4?

Quote Originally Posted by vtluu
    MD374841 is the OEM sparkplug(s), $18.35 from MitsubishiParts.net. Anybody know if the part number is for a single plug or does it come as a set of 4?
    I think they are single.. PM that guy in SoCalEvo.net, I just brought a set from him for $40 shipped, think his SN is jdmitr

How much did u pay for the Hotside installed at Gruppe-S? and how long did it take them to install it?
    Wilson 1 says:
    lol,
    Wilson 1 says:
    where u go to
    Wilson 1 says:
    Wilson 1 says: