Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Edmunds Tests the '09 Lancer Ralliart

Default Re: Edmunds Tests the '09 Lancer Ralliart

Quote Originally Posted by D7
    Ben you missed the point. What makes an Automatic an Automatic? Because you (Ben) aren't shifting? But the car still is.

The proper name for the tranmission is an automated-manual. It is a manual transmission without a clutch pedal. The shiting is controlled via computer which can come via the steering-column mounted paddles, center console mounted shifter or the software program when in "automatic" mode but it is still every bit a manual. What seperates a manual from an automatic tranmssion?? A torque converter, which this transmission does not have.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan@GST
    Yea I keep hearing great things about it.

I'm anxious to try one out.
    I'll bring mine around your parts one day soon and you can check it out.
    So it's just the torque converter that makes it a automatic? The fact that it automatically shifts doesn't make it an automatic? If you aren't manually shifting than you aren't driving a manual.

I think your trying to fit a new type of Tranny in with the old classes. I'm saying it's not an Automatic, your saying it's not a Manual.

I think we're both right. It's neither. It's a new breed. Something of it's own class.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan@GST
    Yea I keep hearing great things about it.

I'm anxious to try one out.
    if it's as good as a DSG it'll be really good. If it's better than it'll be really fucking awsome.

Which makes me wonder, D7, have you seen any performance comparisons between the SST and DSG. If obviously seen them say it's the same trype of technology in general, but i want some stats. DSG is awsome, but i see the one i have as it being new awsome technology in it's infancy.

I drove a car with DSG and wondered what all the hype was about. Yawn.

From the reviews so far it sounds like SST is better, we'll see..

See this is exactly why the Ralliart is so expensive...if a regular auto has an added price to a car of like $2g's then what is the added value of the SST alone? I'm sure base with a 5sp would be a lot lower. You really are getting what you pay for and if you keep saying the SST is so great then why get the GSR 5spd?

2008 Graphite Gray Evo X GSR
    Rota - Hankook - Seibon - APR - Tanabe - Cobb - Nisei - AMS - Girodisk - Hawk - Motul - AEM - Perrin - Ralliart
    ECUFlash SELF TUNED!

Who are you talking to? I didnt get a GSR... :?

OMG you said why not get a GSR if the Ralliart is $31k fully loaded. I said becuase that SST is probably worth $3g's alone. Ant those not wanting a manual should opt for the Ralliart if they can't afford the MR...And you proved that point by holding the SST up on a stick saying it's no "plain automatic" so that's why you shouldn't get a GSR over a fully loaded Ralliart right? You proved my point for me but tried to disagree?

Rota - Hankook - Seibon - APR - Tanabe - Cobb - Nisei - AMS - Girodisk - Hawk - Motul - AEM - Perrin - Ralliart
    ECUFlash SELF TUNED!

Quote Originally Posted by xbox4414
    I said becuase that SST is probably worth $3g's alone.
    Try 6k.

5spd trans is 3k, SST is 9k. Plus I am sure there are more do-dads you also need with the SST.

Shit....so now that explains why....the Ralliart has a kick ass tranny....and D7 although u fully support the SST u are wondering why ppl don't get the GSR instead? LOL.

ECUFlash SELF TUNED!

No. If someone had $30k and could spend it on a real Evo, or a baby version. Which do you think they would choose? The real Evo obviously. You get why I said "why not get the GSR"?

Quote Originally Posted by xbox4414
    You proved my point for me but tried to disagree?
    Please, don't assume I tried to disagree, I didn't understand what you meant. Anyway, If someone cannot afford an Evo, and wants more then a Lancer, then the Ralliart is the perfect choice. But if the Ralliart starts to chew into the $30k range then someone with that kind of money might start to say "Hmmm, only $3k more and I can get a real Evo".

Sure the tranny is more sophisticated in the Ralliart, but whether it's better or not varies from person to person.