Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waterless car wash

Default Re: Waterless car wash

So when you do it; do you use a separate rinse bucket for the sponge like the one guy in that vid. or just the ONR bucket all the way through like the others?

I've never used any of the products I listed... i just listed them so people get an idea of what it is...

Sounds like ZK has some experience in this, you might want to check him out.

Quote Originally Posted by lqdchkn
    So when you do it; do you use a separate rinse bucket for the sponge like the one guy in that vid. or just the ONR bucket all the way through like the others?
    I use one bucket. The two bucket method is a carry over from traditional washing. If you want to be super extra careful, you can use it. Otherwise, just make sure the area you are cleaning is really clean before you dry and dip often to make sure your mitt is dripping wet. This is where you get marring from if you mess up.

And I forgot to mention, only use microfiber towels and mitts... a sheepskin (wool) mitt will work as well but I prefer microfiber for this kind of washing. The stuff is engineered to work with microfiber - if you don't use it, the bonding and release characteristics is different.

A traditional wash is needed if your car is pretty gunked up. I do this routine after track days:

http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index...c,19335.0.html
    Car Detailing Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ZK
    I use one bucket. The two bucket method is a carry over from traditional washing. If you want to be super extra careful, you can use it. Otherwise, just make sure the area you are cleaning is really clean before you dry and dip often to make sure your mitt is dripping wet. This is where you get marring from if you mess up.

And I forgot to mention, only use microfiber towels and mitts... a sheepskin (wool) mitt will work as well but I prefer microfiber for this kind of washing. The stuff is engineered to work with microfiber - if you don't use it, the bonding and release characteristics is different.

A traditional wash is needed if your car is pretty gunked up. I do this routine after track days:

http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index...c,19335.0.html
    You think it would hurt to rinse the whole car with water first, to loosen the crap and help minimize possible scratching? Not sure if that would jack up the chemical to water bucket ratio?

I'm seriously thinking this is my new car wash. The old way wastes hella water an take hella time. $16 bux for 16 washes doesn't seem to excessive. Not like Zaino anyway. :O Can you buy it locally or do you get it from their website?

then you might just well do a proper car wash!

You think it would hurt to rinse the whole car with water first, to loosen the crap and help minimize possible scratching? Not sure if that would jack up the chemical to water bucket ratio?

I'm seriously thinking this is my new car wash. The old way wastes hella water an take hella time. $16 bux for 16 washes doesn't seem to excessive. Not like Zaino anyway. :O Can you buy it locally or do you get it from their website?

the only time I see waterless car wash is great for is when you are on the road. Let say you just finish a nice detail at home and you have to travel far for a car show. Once you get to the location you can prep the car with it. But even that, a good detail spray might be good enough if you put down a good layer of sealant and wax.

You can do that if you want... Some guys use a garden sprayer with a ONR mix to water down the car before going in with the ONR wiping. Or you can use water if you want. I wouldn't worry about the water ratio much. I usually use more than the recommended ratio anyway. It kinda defeats the purpose of using it if you're going to hose it with water anyway. I guess you'd still gain the benefit of having a slick surface when you're done and no water spotting.

I don't know anywhere to get it locally... A lot of detailing web sites carry ONR. I originally bought a 16 oz. bottle, then it was more economical to buy it by the gallon. I've converted quite a few friends and we split up the shipping costs now.

1 oz to 2 gallons of water is the normal ratio, for more protection and dirtier cars, you can do 1 oz per gallon like in the first video on the F430. It also makes a great quick detailer - cleans and adds gloss and slickness.
    Car Detailing Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by DetailAddict

Not really cause I wouldn't have to rinse the soap from every panel as it's done. That wastes most of the water in washing. Just one rinse at the begining for the added "crud softening", then ONR and dry each panel until the whole car is done.

well, it depends on the condition of the car... i would argue the rinse in the beginning would waste most of the water... If you have some 'heavy spots', you'll spend more time on it, like bird dropping. but when it comes time to rinse off the soap, it's just one pass. I know I spend very little time and water on the final rinse...

Quote Originally Posted by DetailAddict

Not really cause I wouldn't have to rinse the soap from every panel as it's done. That wastes most of the water in washing. Just one rinse at the begining for the added "crud softening", then ONR and dry each panel until the whole car is done.

I'll say this... at the end of the day... personal preference comes into play for a lot of stuff including waterless car wash. Some people swear by it, some don't believe in it. But a lot has to do with condition of the car and the person that is working on it.