Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: interior speakers

Default interior speakers

I kno there's a audio section but I'm pretty sure no one goes in there haha..but I'm wanting to a put a componet set in my car for the front but my question is would it be over kill to add a component set for the rear also? Or should I jus do a 6.5 speaker upgrade for the rear?

Default Re: interior speakers

I would say do it. I have four 6.5 speakers in the front (kick panels) and two in the rear. My front is way louder than the one in the back. I want to figure out another way to put 2 in the back to balance it.
    HKS 264/272 Cams, Vishnu Adj. Cam Gears, Walbaro 255 Feul Pump, HKS Drop in Air Filter, Hallman MBC, ARP Head Studs, 2.75 Tanabe DP, RRE Rally Cat/Test Pipe, Apexi NOIR CBE, Whiteline Sway bar, Volks CE28ns 255/35/18

268.1 whp Tuned and Dyno'ed By Andy at and on SpeedElement Dyno Dynamics

It depends on what your main goal is for your sound system. If you want a nice sounding frontstage, you would ideally go for 6.5 components in the front and you can just leave your rear speakers as is. The idea here is that the sound should come and be driven from the front, just as how you would normally listen to a live performance. Having rear speakers that balance out or play louder than the sound from the front components will ruin your front soundstage and overall sound quality. just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't leave the stock rear speakers in if you're going to be upgrading the fronts. Reason being is, if you're running all the speakers off a 4 channel amp, you might as well get some speakers than can fully utilize that added power. Stock speakers suck and will distort at higher volume.

I would get some 6.5 components up front and just throw in some 2-way speakers in the rear. You can always tune the sound to your liking, using the crossover. It will sound damn near perfect with that setup.
    I keep an inch and a half guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. It's not whiz-bang tactical, but one smack in the grape and it's coloring books for Christmas.

I got components in the front and 3 way speakers in the rear. Sounds damn clear with no distortion.
    Evo Green w/upgraded WGA 18psi
    Helix O2 Housing
    Helix Downpipe
    Perrin Test Pipe
    HKS Hi-Power Exhaust
    AEM ShortRam Intake
    Ported/Polished/Coated stock manifold
    Ported turbine housing
    HKS 280 intake/exhaust
    Vishnu cam gears -3/-3
    GM 3 port solenoid
    Turbohoses Intercooler/UICP
    ETS version 2 LICP
    ACT HDSS Clutch
    Walbro 255lph
    RC 1200cc injectors
    Sun Hyperforce
    Mil Spec 65mm Throttle Body
    Zeitronix ZT-2 LCD & ZAVT-1
    400awhp on E85 tuned by Bryan @ GST

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk
    I wouldn't leave the stock rear speakers in if you're going to be upgrading the fronts. Reason being is, if you're running all the speakers off a 4 channel amp, you might as well get some speakers than can fully utilize that added power. Stock speakers suck and will distort at higher volume.

I would get some 6.5 components up front and just throw in some 2-way speakers in the rear. You can always tune the sound to your liking, using the crossover. It will sound damn near perfect with that setup.

yes, if you intend to power your rear fills with an external amp, you really have to go with aftermarket speakers since the oem ones won't be able to handle the continuous rms. but as i mentioned, if you're after true sound quality, you would want to focus on your front soundstage, hence, the front components. true sq systems have rear fills that are really just for ambience and are usually faded to the front. it's a different story, though, if you intend to use multichannel surround sound...if that's the case, it will be worth upgrading the rear fills to one that closely resembles the front components in terms of sound quality.

as for distortion, this can always be handled by level matching.

^^ gotta admit he's right. =)
    HKS 264/272 Cams, Vishnu Adj. Cam Gears, Walbaro 255 Feul Pump, HKS Drop in Air Filter, Hallman MBC, ARP Head Studs, 2.75 Tanabe DP, RRE Rally Cat/Test Pipe, Apexi NOIR CBE, Whiteline Sway bar, Volks CE28ns 255/35/18

268.1 whp Tuned and Dyno'ed By Andy at and on SpeedElement Dyno Dynamics

Yup the front is a lot louder than the rear! Im changing mine soon!!

ok so i have a 2000 watt mono powering my power t2 sub and running stock speakers on my avic z2
    i was thinking of doing the same (upgrading the front components leaving the rear stock) but would i still be able to hear the difference without running a 4 channel amp? leaving them powered by the z2 (more wattage than stock but not much)

yes, there will be significant difference. an external amp will be capable of producing more continuous rms than your head unit, especially for power-hungry or low sensitivity front component speakers.