Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D40 or D50?

Default D40 or D50 or D70?

I am contemplating on getting my first dslr. So which one is better for an entry level dslr? BTW I found a D50 kit for $250, is that a good deal? TIA
    Last edited by SmogMeEvo; 12-14-2008 at 11:31 AM.
    06 CT9A
    96 E36 M
    06 NPS50

Quote Originally Posted by SmogMeEvo View Post
    I am contemplating on getting my first dslr. So which one is better for an entry level dslr? BTW I found a D50 kit for $250, is that a good deal? TIA
    $250 is a pretty good deal for a D50. I have a D50 and I love it. The D40 does not have the display like the D50/D70/D80 etc. and you have to manually focus the older AF lenses if you were to score a good deal on one down the road. You might want to consider the D70s (bigger screen than the D70) as it's kit lens (18-70) is better than the D40's & D50's kit lens if you're buying as a complete package on craigslist or something. The D80 is a bit more but it's a great camera too. Here are some links for you to check out.

D40 Specs Compared To D50

Steve's Digicam Review Of The D40

Steve's Digicam Revew Of The D50

Steve's Digicam Review Of The D70s

Steve's Digicam Review Of The D80

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveLC2 View Post
    $250 is a pretty good deal for a D50. I have a D50 and I love it. The D40 does not have the display like the D50/D70/D80 etc. and you have to manually focus the older AF lenses if you were to score a good deal on one down the road. You might want to consider the D70s (bigger screen than the D70) as it's kit lens (18-70) is better than the D40's & D50's kit lens if you're buying as a complete package on craigslist or something. The D80 is a bit more but it's a great camera too. Here are some links for you to check out.

D40 Specs Compared To D50

Steve's Digicam Review Of The D40

Steve's Digicam Revew Of The D50

Steve's Digicam Review Of The D70s

Steve's Digicam Review Of The D80

Dave
    Thanks dave!
    06 CT9A
    96 E36 M
    06 NPS50

Entry level Nikons FTL. If you get a nikon its D300 or go home.
    Eat me

Quote Originally Posted by steevo8 View Post
    Entry level Nikons FTL. If you get a nikon its D300 or go home.
    Sorry, but I am not a baller like you.
    06 CT9A
    96 E36 M
    06 NPS50

lol I wish even still you dont need to be. Canon 20D, 30D, XTI are all awesome. Cheaper and more available lenses, flashes, less noise etc.
    Eat me

lol I wish even still you dont need to be. Canon 20D, 30D, XTI are all awesome. Cheaper and more available lenses, flashes, less noise etc.
    I am a complete newb, so would I even need all those options.
    06 CT9A
    96 E36 M
    06 NPS50

Higher iso shooting might not be big to some people but too me it is. Heres a post that Dave put up last night with higher iso shots. Even my 20D was noticably better then my friends D200 at iso 400 and up.
    Eat me

Quote Originally Posted by SmogMeEvo View Post
    I am a complete newb, so would I even need all those options.

ISO is the sensitivity of your sensor(film). So just like when you choose film speeds. 100/200/300 etc, you will at times need to make you camera more sensitive to light. This tends to cause noise(speckles). The entry level Nikons more so then the canons. If you dont have really fast glass, its a easy way to compensate in order to still get the shot you want. IMO with a canon youll get better overall performance because you get less noise, on top of cheaper lenses that are more available. I do admit that most nikon bodies are nicer then the canons(up to the 40D) but in the grand scheme of things its really about the end product, not the equipment. A XTI, or 20D with a decent lens is pretty damn capable and money better spent imo.... Now once you get to $1500+ camera bodies its another story.
    Eat me

Entry level Nikons FTL. If you get a Nikon its D90 or go home.
    there I fixed it for you.

For those new to DSLRs and if you're considering a Nikon, the best to go with is an old, used D50/70(s). If you can I'd recommend a D80 because while it is old technology it's got liveable noise and great quality. While the D40 is nice I think if you're serious about it you'll outgrow it really fast. You may say being a newb wipes out a lot of luxuries but this hobby grows on you fast. haha I say buy a "Prosumer" level camera if you know you'll be using it for more than just vacations and holidays. That's my $0.02
    -Ryan
    WW Lancer Evolution IX