Thread: Correcting your Dyno Results

Default Correcting your Dyno Results

Putting dyno numbers up on a good air day is one thing. Posting up a corrected true 400 whp result is another. Kinda like dyno-jet numbers compared to a heart-breaker mustang dyno results. I became more informed when I swapped a turbo and my dyno results seemed to not change. I said "How can this be?" Then I saw one pull with the old turbo was in the winter. The other pull in the summer. After correcting...glory-be!!... there was a difference between turbos once corrected numbers were used.
    If you want to figure it out yourself do this:

1.) Get your uncorrected results.You can ask your dyno facility if they are or are not corrected. Allot of dyno shops disconnect their weather stations because they can give allot of uncertain results and are headaches for tuners. Usually the day of the pull and exact time are on the print out. Find out from a close by weather station (closer the better) what the conditions were like during the pull. Get temperature, dew point temperature ( Used to figure out the humidity), elevation ( usually around 50 to 100 ft. above sea level in the bay rea....hopefully.) Remember temps and conditions will be different in the dyno-room but most likely will be close enough. I like to use this site as it offers weather results for just about anywhere.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCAHAYWA12

Also some of the stations have history going back several years so you can correct your results from a previous day or someone elses too!!!

2.)
    Once you have your weather data then plug it in to your SAE correction formula.

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp.htm

This will give you a dyno correction factor-at bottom of page. This correction factor is then multiplied to your dyno reading and you now have a corrected reading.
    Remember, It's allot easier to achieve good numbers when the atmospherics are good. That's why SAE correction came about. It levels the playing field and takes the variables of temperature,barometric pressure, altitude and humidity out of the equation. This makes you a more informed person when numbers are just given to you. If you make good numbers during warmer months your set-up had to really work to get it. If your dyno readings happened during the colder winter months you probably had a "boost" from mother nature. Thats why our cars run so well in the winter months and cooler summer nights. Have fun and be informed.
    '06 IX WW RS

thank you VERY much sir

thanks for posting up Scott. I had thought about it a few times after you sent me the info, but never did. now everyone has the sites to check themselves!

Your Very welcome.......Maybe sticky??

Quote Originally Posted by willitas34 View Post
    thank you VERY much sir
    '06 IX WW RS

Quote Originally Posted by whtrice View Post
    Your Very welcome.......Maybe sticky??

I think it should be a sticky! Corrected numbers, more level playing field

I would imagine using intake temps would be the most accurate temp to use as that is the air the motor is using to combust with.

EDIT: Even says it on that site: "The air temperature should ideally be the temperature of the air that is going into the intake of the engine."

I would imagine that would apply to the other conditions as well.

Also another thing to keep in mind is that a bunch of people think that correction shouldn't be used for turbo charged cars because of the forced induction and intercooling.
    Last edited by earlyapex aka jack ass; 01-11-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Ideally IAT's and would be a better data point to use. Ambient temp's at the time are as close as most people will get unless this info is provided. I found that if you at least use a consistant source to begin with it will still convert better then nothing at all. Air temps seem to have the biggest influence in affecting engine performance be it NA or force induction. Forced induction is not swayed as much as NA motors.

Here is an interesting site as well. It shows how much D/A affects performance times at a drag strip.

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...ect+ET+and+MPH

Notice NA, NA modified and F.I. vehicles are calculated differently due to the different volumetric efficiencies. F.I cars are affected the least amount but physics still applies.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan@GST View Post
    I would imagine using intake temps would be the most accurate temp to use as that is the air the motor is using to combust with.

EDIT: Even says it on that site: "The air temperature should ideally be the temperature of the air that is going into the intake of the engine."

I would imagine that would apply to the other conditions as well.

Also another thing to keep in mind is that a bunch of people think that correction shouldn't be used for turbo charged cars because of the forced induction and intercooling.
    Last edited by whtrice; 01-15-2009 at 06:19 PM.
    '06 IX WW RS