Thread: I dropped my D40X

Thumbs down I dropped my D40X

As the title says I dropped my Nikon It worked fine that night on couple of shots but next morning, the first shot made a lil weird sound. The next shot, the shutter doesn't close anymore and gave me a error message. I swapped out the lens to see which one broke. It's the body that broke. No matter what I do, I keep getting a same error code and nothing else.

Does anyone have an experience sending out your Nikon for a repair?

I'm thinking to save some money to upgrade to D80 or D90 if the repair cost is too much. It's pretty crappy feeling to pay lot of money for one single mistake. oh welll, shit happens. It could be a good excuse for an upgrade

'03 Evo VIII - Evo IX Turbo w/ Blox Cam, HFC, GST Magic, 380whp/353ft-lb on corn diet

Sorry to hear about that bro...No warranty plan?

I think it probably would be cheaper to upgrade to the D80/D90.
    Evo Green w/upgraded WGA 18psi
    Helix O2 Housing
    Helix Downpipe
    Perrin Test Pipe
    HKS Hi-Power Exhaust
    AEM ShortRam Intake
    Ported/Polished/Coated stock manifold
    Ported turbine housing
    HKS 280 intake/exhaust
    Vishnu cam gears -3/-3
    GM 3 port solenoid
    Turbohoses Intercooler/UICP
    ETS version 2 LICP
    ACT HDSS Clutch
    Walbro 255lph
    RC 1200cc injectors
    Sun Hyperforce
    Mil Spec 65mm Throttle Body
    Zeitronix ZT-2 LCD & ZAVT-1
    400awhp on E85 tuned by Bryan @ GST

Quote Originally Posted by MR EVO 8 View Post
    Sorry to hear about that bro...No warranty plan?

I think it probably would be cheaper to upgrade to the D80/D90.
    I really didn't believe in extended warranty. I learned that from paying too much for the Mitsu extended warranty. Paid like $1500 for nothing.

'03 Evo VIII - Evo IX Turbo w/ Blox Cam, HFC, GST Magic, 380whp/353ft-lb on corn diet

This is one reason why its nice having a pro body. Not sure about nikons but the canon magnesium bodies take a hell of a hit.
    Eat me

how old is your camera?

6. Default

time to go Canon
    400whp/384tq - E85 - stock turbo
    334whp/317tq - 91oct - stock turbo

Sponsored by www.speedelement.com / www.rallyinnovations.com / www.bajadesigns.com / www.sportsracingfuel.com / www.gruppe-s.com / www.vexmotorsports.com / www.detailaddict.com
    Tuned by Bryan@GST Motorsports
    Proud supporter of www.gstmotorsports.com / www.xperformance.com

wow, sorry to hear that. Hopefully its a cheap repair.
    EIP - 308whp/293wtq - 91 - 7/25/07
    GST - 294whp/290wtq - 91 - 8/30/08
    12.94 @ 107.1mph - Sac 9/13/08
    2:10 @ T-Hill top of 5 - 12/12/08

Power:
    Megan TBE--Nisei LICP--K&N Drop In--Walbro 255--750cc Injectors--3-port solenoid--Dyno Tune
    Suspension:
    Muellerized JIC FLT-TAR 7k/8k--Perrin 25mm RSB/Stout Mounts/Endlinks--Cusco Rear Trunk Bar--Whiteline Bushings
    Tires/Wheels/Brakes:
    Toyo R1R 255/40/17--Buddy Club QF 17x9 +28--Ferodo DS2500--S.S. Lines

Quote Originally Posted by steevo8 View Post
    This is one reason why its nice having a pro body. Not sure about nikons but the canon magnesium bodies take a hell of a hit.
    I saw on you tube how tough Nikon is. I guess cheaper Nikon's cheaper as well. I think D40x has plastic body. I dropped from the lens first so the body looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson1 View Post
    how old is your camera?
    A year and 4 months or so.

I haven't had to send anything in to Nikon in the last year :knock on wood:

From what I hear, though, the repairs might be around $200-300 depending on what needs to be fixed. There's a Nikon corporate building next to the 101 if you wanna pop in there and ask in person. Otherwise give the warranty card number a call and see what you can do. good luck.. I'd die if my camera hit the ground...
    -Ryan
    WW Lancer Evolution IX

Update!!! I got my new D90 like a hour ago. Step up from D40x. I'm getting an extended warranty this time. So many moer buttons compared to D40x. Reading the manual which is as big as a nobel.